By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2012 Quebec Student Strike

There have been over 180 marches in Montreal since the beginning of the strike.

That's insane!

Around the Network

It better end soon seriously.

I have one course that is on hold because of this and I would hate if it gets cancelled.

I don't mind if people want to make manifestations to show their disagreement but I'm strongly against picketing.

Boutros said:

I have one course that is on hold because of this and I would hate if it gets cancelled.

I don't mind if people want to make manifestations to show their disagreement but I'm strongly against picketing.

At which CEGEP/University do you study?

I think the real problem here it the corruption. I would be totally for the raise if we were getting better equipment/teachers/courses but we're getting nothing. Even I thought it wasn't that bad at first but then I realised that we're already paying a lot to this government, we have two tax payments, two taxes on every products, gas is expensive as hell and let's not talk about every services here and there.

If all these taxes were used properly it would be different but come here in Quebec with your car and see how poor our roads are seriously it's a shame. You would laugh your ass off. Building 3 metro stations cost almost a billion because of the corruption in the construction then we get to pay more and more that's an example. It's ok if things follow the course of the inflation but to that degree it's ridiculous.

I'm not for the strike but the students strike also talk about all that corruption that everybody has to pay so the government puts more on their pockets. I'm for the demise of that idiot and I take part on some of the marches.

Jazz2K said:
I think the real problem here it the corruption. I would be totally for the raise if we were getting better equipment/teachers/courses but we're getting nothing. Even I thought it wasn't that bad at first but then I realised that we're already paying a lot to this government, we have two tax payments, two taxes on every products, gas is expensive as hell and let's not talk about every services here and there.

If all these taxes were used properly it would be different but come here in Quebec with your car and see how poor our roads are seriously it's a shame. You would laugh your ass off. Building 3 metro stations cost almost a billion because of the corruption in the construction then we get to pay more and more that's an example. It's ok if things follow the course of the inflation but to that degree it's ridiculous.

I'm not for the strike but the students strike also talk about all that corruption that everybody has to pay so the government puts more on their pockets. I'm for the demise of that idiot and I take part on some of the marches.

I couldn't agree more with you!

Around the Network
Gilmour said:
Boutros said:

At which CEGEP/University do you study?

Université Laval.

Gilmour said:
Jazz2K said:

What university are you going to... mine voted agains't the strike the second time... the first time it was only a week.

Jazz2K said:
Gilmour said:
Jazz2K said:

What university are you going to... mine voted agains't the strike the second time... the first time it was only a week.

Cégep Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu

I went to college in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan not Ontario, at LSSU. I've been pretty intimate with the tuition system. Was involved heavily in Student Government and attended meetings to unify the state's public universities. Tuition was and still is a big issue. I even wrote my thesis on a tuition topic, between per credit and per semester tuition plans, which addressed some concerns over affordability. My university is considered one of the most affordable ones of the 15 publics, bottom 3 in tuition, but like every university it was seeing 8-12% increases every year as a result of legislative cuts. My student body tried hard to support funding and sent students to the capital every year, but with less than 3,000 students and no dedicated lobbyist from the school, we were lucky to have reduced cuts compared to the rest since anything more would threaten closure.

I can't say I know too much about the Canadian government, or the issues in Quebec, and I never experienced a strike (and thank God because who knows what US border control would do) I still understand the struggle.

Before the PS3 everyone was nice to me :(

You guys should move away from that place, it sounds terrible.