By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2012 Quebec Student Strike

I'm a student and my school has been on strike for over 2 months.  I wanted to have VGC opinion on this subject.  Maybe you've heard of it, when 200,000 students went in the streets on March 22.

Basically, the tuition fees are set to increase of 1625$ even if they are among the lowest in Canada.  It's a 75% increase to be exact.  It took almost 11 weeks for the government to meet the students.  Today, we are withing the 13th weeks of strike.  The semesters are about to be cancelled.

You can read about the subject here: http://www.stopthehike.ca/

Here's a summary in English (the French one is the best) : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Quebec_student_strike

Here are some videos:

(riot at Victoriaville) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pXA5e8Y95c

(22nd of March seen from the 16th floor of a building) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La8HhUr3SxE&feature=related

I'll understand if you're not interested about this subject, but I just wanted to share it with you...
Because I love you :D

Around the Network

$1625 is a 75% increase? So you were paying just over $2000 before?

Dunno, it's a sharp increase for sure... but it's hard to really feel sorry considering you're lucky to pay under $5000 here in BC, and I know Ontario is even higher.

C'est la vie?

Aj_habfan said:

Dunno, it's a sharp increase for sure... but it's hard to really feel sorry considering you're lucky to pay under $5000 here in BC, and I know Ontario is even higher.

C'est la vie?

Of course it's not a lot.  But when you consider that the Quebec government is often caught offering contracts to the mafia, or accused of corruption or bad management of public funds, I think it's unacceptable.

Our governement looks in the income department rather than than its spendings.

That's ridiculous to expect people to come up with that much more money in so little time. I went to Mississippi State University and our tuition slowly went up about $150 a year or so which was fine with me. I understand that tuition has to go up but at least let people have time to prepare by slowly increasing.

My tuition went from around $1,800 a semester to about $2,500 when I graduated five years later.

Edit:  I thought it was an increase of that much in one semester not over 5 years.  Doens't seem that bad to me if it is over 5 years.

Around the Network
Gilmour said:
Aj_habfan said:

C'est la vie?

Of course it's not a lot.  But when you consider that the Quebec government is often caught offering contracts to the mafia, or accused of corruption or bad management of public funds, I think it's unacceptable.

Yeah I'll be honest I don't follow Quebec politics so there may be more shadyness to this and it may reek of corruption, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt on that. It just seems like mispending in government happens everywhere and it is always resolved by taxing unrelated sectors that are proven income generators i.e. adding another few cents of tax on gas every once in a while is really popular here.

So good luck, hopefully something beneficial comes out of this.

Aj_habfan said:
Gilmour said:
Aj_habfan said:

C'est la vie?

Yeah I'll be honest I don't follow Quebec politics so there may be more shadyness to this and it may reek of corruption, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt on that. It just seems like mispending in government happens everywhere and it is always resolved by taxing unrelated sectors that are proven income generators i.e. adding another few cents of tax on gas every once in a while is really popular here.

So good luck, hopefully something beneficial comes out of this.

Thank you for your support!

While i support your methods (because there is no other way to make institutions of higher education take notice), i must note that you're paying a pitiful amount compared to what i have, and thus be inclined to feel less pity

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

The $1625 was over five years, if I remember right. I just finished up at UNB, and I think fees are going up there next year as well. Pretty sure fees go up most every year, or at least it seems.

I think University tuition increase should be approved by outside panels, budget shortfalls can be passed on to students to easily. Higher education is a right but it should be affordable, I will be paying back my tuition costs for a long time.

Mr Khan said:
While i support your methods (because there is no other way to make institutions of higher education take notice), i must note that you're paying a pitiful amount compared to what i have, and thus be inclined to feel less pity

But say you're used to paying $500 a month for rent which is really cheap then the landlord ups your rent to $1500 a month the next month.  The new rent isn't that bad but having that increase suddenly can break you financailly.  

Edit:  Nevermind, I thought it was a sudden increase not a gradual increase.  It doesn't seem that bad to have it increase over 5 years.