By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 2012 Quebec Student Strike

wfz said:
You guys should move away from that place, it sounds terrible.

Where do you want us to go?  France?  It smells terrible.

Around the Network

I go to Université de Montréal and I've been on strike since early March but atleast I support the cause and I am totaly against the raise of tuition fees.

Alot of ppl use the argument that we have the lowest tuition fees in Canada, This is thrue but we are also those who pay the most taxes in the country and by far. We also have the lowest minimum salary cap. So it's rly hard to compare.

Finally, to those who have'nt heard of how bad our government is, let me give you a funny example. After they revealed their budget that involved the increase of almost everything that cost money (health care, tuition fees, electricity and more...) they explained that we all had to pay more because the government needed every penny they could get to repay the national debt... So what do they do? They spend HALF A MILLION $ in propaganda to convince the population that the raises were ''responsible'' and ''necessary''. They pretty much prefer using that money to make sure they look good so they get reelected instead of spending it where it actualy matter like that huge debt they say they want to repay so badly.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Interesting that you complain about it, despite the fact your government is subsidizing it in the first place.

Eventually, governments run out of money, and their austerity will invariably effect you. Money is not infinite, but services are, if they cannot be paid for.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Last year, the cost of attending West Virginia University (a lower-cost, full-featured university) was a $8,552 for in-state students and $20,722 for out-of-state students -- plus living and personal expenses expenses.

http://assets.slate.wvu.edu/resources/282/1308227290.pdf

Tuition here has gone up 5% to 10% most recent years as state funding as decreased.

There are some places (PA for example) where state funding is less than one-tenth of the total budget -- totally invalidating Milton Freedman's 34 year old argument.

Sorry to hear about the strike. Quebec (original had PQ -- which I remembered as the postal abbreviation but also could mean a political party) has not had the best of fiscal fortune.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:

Last year, the cost of attending West Virginia University (a lower-cost, full-featured university) was a $8,552 for in-state students and $20,722 for out-of-state students -- plus living and personal expenses expenses.

http://assets.slate.wvu.edu/resources/282/1308227290.pdf

Tuition here has gone up 5% to 10% most recent years as state funding as decreased.

There are some places (PA for example) where state funding is less than one-tenth of the total budget -- totally invalidating Milton Freedman's 34 year old argument.

Sorry to hear about the strike. Quebec (original had PQ -- which I remembered as the postal abbreviation but also could mean a political party) has not had the best of fiscal fortune.

Mike from Morgantown

PQ used to mean Province of Quebec.

Now we use QC.

PQ is also a political party, the Parti Québécois.  A separatist party that wants to make the province a country.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Interesting that you complain about it, despite the fact your government is subsidizing it in the first place.

Eventually, governments run out of money, and their austerity will invariably effect you. Money is not infinite, but services are, if they cannot be paid for.

If the increases stops people who otherwise would have from being able to attend university, the lost productivity (could be) more than the subsidy amount. If government accounting was only done to cost almost nothing would happen.

--

UK two years ago: £3000 -> £9000 sudden jump, less than a year's notice. £9000 is $14000.

Soleron said:
mrstickball said:

If the increases stops people who otherwise would have from being able to attend university, the lost productivity (could be) more than the subsidy amount. If government accounting was only done to cost almost nothing would happen.

--

UK two years ago: £3000 -> £9000 sudden jump, less than a year's notice. £9000 is $14000.

Seems unlikely.  If anything we seem to have "too much" education.  Even before the financial crisis "higher education" entry jobs had gone down in pay due to excessive supply of labor pushing down base starting salary.

Really where the most demand seems to be now is in technical and two-year college type degrees found at lesser universities that were frequently visited by people who didn't have the money for college or didn't think it was worth it to spend money on college.

Like, quite honestly most subisides it seems like if anything it's causing a two-fold loss.  Both in cost to the taxpayer and later cost due to the distortion of the labor market.

and once more...the rest of canada looks on annoyed that they have see and hear quebec once again, whining and bitching while still getting a better deal than the rest of the country.

the rest of canada manages just fine. we are all tired of constantly hearing about our most corrupt province that feels they are better than the rest of us and always needs the spotlight.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Hey guys!  Show your support, send a picture of you with a red square (students on strike symbol) and display your name and your location!  I'll post this on my school fb wall, there's a referendum tomorrow!

I attend the 8th most expensive University in the U.S. I feel no pity for you at that price. None at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.