By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is it fair that God forces us to be conscious for an eternity?

Answer the damn question!

Yes, it's fair. 49 49.00%

No, it's not fair. 19 19.00%

Other. (Please specify). 32 32.00%

Total:100

Once you die you are worm food.

Around the Network

Where are the people that voted this as fair?

At least have the balls to explain yourself. Sheesh

Jay520 said:

That is what happens when you post a poll.

Andrespetmonkey said:

It is unfair. You have no choice in the matter, you also go to hell for ridiculous reasons any decent human being could see past, the whole idea of hell speaks volumes of just how moral abrahamic religions are going by a literal interpretation. The idea of God and his total ownership and dictatorship of your past, present and future destroys any true sense of individuality as you're merely the creation of a superior being, living eternally in a world that is ultimately under his total control.

That sentence reminded me of these folks:

Hallowed are the Ori.

Jay520 said:
People think it's fair that God FORCED you into this crazy world without invitation? And then FORCED you to abide by his rules? And then when decide you want to leave this world (suicide), he FORCES you to an eternity in hell? No, he doesn't allow you to stop living, even though you have every right to since you never asked to live. He decides to put you through infinite torture for and infinite amount of time. Not to mention he knew how his plan would end since the beginning. That's fair?

Sounds like a dictatorship to me

Maybe you should visit church sometimes and you'd know that God is was and will always protect humanity from the satan

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

Around the Network
Dodece said:
Your presenting the immortality is a disease postulate. That once you have learned everything, felt everything, and just done everything. You will suffer from a severely depressive tedium as you then will never know novelty ever again. I see your point of view, and raise you the paradox of the horizon. You can see the horizon, and even go all of the way to that horizon, but all you will find for your trouble is that there is a new horizon. Just as there is no real good reason at all to believe that existence is limited. There is no good reason that in your own mind you will be in any way limited by what you can conceive.

Why believe that either existence out or within yourself for that matter would be limited when you have seen no evidence for that actually being the case. If you were to be immortal why believe that you would be so limited. Not to mention if you were so limited given the scope of existence I got news for you. Your mind would never be able to hold everything, and you would forget what you knew in the distant past. Making those things both novel, and new once again.

Why be fixated by a static world view. When all you have ever know is a world that is always changing.

There is only so much that I can find joy in. After the first trillion or so years, I will have done all of them thousands, if not millions, of times. It's a certainty that I will eventually grow bored of these things. You say my mind could not hold everything. That does not make things better. It makes them worse. It's depressing to know that you forgot a trillion years of life. It's depressing to know that I could potentially be doing the same event for the millionth time. I'd eventually want to just stop existing.

NintendoPie said:
Jay520 said:

That is what happens when you post a poll.

Very funny, now explain yourself.

It's fair for God to do whatever God wants, because God is God and what we feel is fair or not is irrelevant. Plus fair is in the eye of the beholder. What you feel is fair may not feel fair to the Assassinated.

For example:
Let's say you both work 8 hours a day doing the same thing. But because you have better reflexes you complete 1.5x the amount of work he does. Would it be fair to you if you made the same amount of money as he did? Would it be fair to him if you made 1.5x more money than he did even though he is putting in all of his effort into the job?

Once again your working from the assumption that your current limited perspective will remain unchanged over all of those eons. Has it occurred to you that over time you will probably master yourself utterly. What is to prevent you from devising a way to be in a perfect euphoric state. Suffusing your very being with a sublime state of utter, and complete joy. Like a billion orgasms going off all at once. So much joy you couldn't even begin to think about anything else ever again.

People change over time so why would you expect that a person that is eternal would be unchanged by all of that time into a being that is completely beyond petty boredom. In other words at a trillion years you would be as far beyond boredom as relativity is impossibly beyond a newborn. I have always wondered why people believe in a god that is supposedly perfect, but isn't smart enough to figure solutions well in advance. For all you know this god that concerns you so much may just dump you into the eternal version of a opium den.

Dodece said:
Once again your working from the assumption that your current limited perspective will remain unchanged over all of those eons. Has it occurred to you that over time you will probably master yourself utterly. What is to prevent you from devising a way to be in a perfect euphoric state. Suffusing your very being with a sublime state of utter, and complete joy. Like a billion orgasms going off all at once. So much joy you couldn't even begin to think about anything else ever again.

People change over time so why would you expect that a person that is eternal would be unchanged by all of that time into a being that is completely beyond petty boredom. In other words at a trillion years you would be as far beyond boredom as relativity is impossibly beyond a newborn. I have always wondered why people believe in a god that is supposedly perfect, but isn't smart enough to figure solutions well in advance. For all you know this god that concerns you so much may just dump you into the eternal version of a opium den.

Again, I stand by the belief that no matter how much I "master myself", I will grow tired of it. After so much joy for so many years, I will eventually grow jaded.

Also, if there is not sorrow in heaven, I wouldn't even be able to appreciate happiness. There is no positive without the negative. There can be no happiness without sorrow to contrast with it. Therefore, I wouldn't even be happy to begin with.

The whole idea of having my mind erased when I get to heaven also bothers me. If I live knowing that some almighty being has erased my memory, how can I ever feel secure? How would I know that he isn't decieving me? If he erased my memory without my permission, what else could he have done? I think with that knowledge, knowing I'm in complete control of a monste, err God, I'd want to be dead.