By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is it fair that God forces us to be conscious for an eternity?

Answer the damn question!

Yes, it's fair. 49 49.00%

No, it's not fair. 19 19.00%

Other. (Please specify). 32 32.00%

Total:100

Well, if there is a Heaven and it is as great as it's said to be (no worries, only happy feelings) , I don't think you would ever want to die. Hell, on the other hand, seems pretty harsh.

Around the Network
ArnoldRimmer said:
The perception of afterlife, god, heaven, hell etc. of most people in this thread is obviously heavily influenced by typical western christian belief.

If your perception of "god" and "afterlife" is starting to become uncomfortable or simply not credible, maybe it's time to alter your perception.

When someone says that they believe or don't believe in god for example, what does that mean except that the person who said so believes or rejects his very own perception of the word "god"?

For example, when most western people hear the word "god", they automatically think of some kind of human-like being, something like an old man sitting on a cloud having a beard. They have a certain perception of the word "god" that they got from their parents, people around them, the priests in church, the guys who made the movies they watched or the Wikipedia-article on "god" (revision 1234567, last modified by user bick_dick_79).
And then they feel very clever rejecting their own ridiculous perception of the word "god"...

When somebody says they don't believe in god it generally means they reject the idea of a supernatural being that has power over man or nature. To try and define something as a god without those attributes is to misuse the word.

Roma said:
the way we live and think alive is different than the way we will in the afterlife

Source?

the idea that you will have memories of your earthly life is plain wrong... your brain have your memories, tastes, etc... your soul don't have any of that... your soul don't know what a minute is or what eternity is...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

wfz said:
Jay:

Why does an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God create the universe and create humans for the sole purpose of making us praise him? And if we don't praise and devote our lives to him, we get sent to eternal damnation and torture.

What kind of selfish, conceited, arrogant bastard God is that? That's what I want to know.

Some of what you said is true...  The other half isn't.  Though to explain it all, I'd have to break out the graphs, and start plotting numbers on graph paper.  It's pretty mind blowing, but, I'm not supposed to talk about it right now. :x

But, I can *at least* say this...

How can anyone say there's no God, simply because you cannot see him, yet, you can't see consciousness either.  You know it's there, it's just, the concept of how religion portrays God is off.  So, going by what religion calls God, the people that don't believe in the religion comes to the conclusion that God doesn't exist.  It's hilarious.

But, I suppose that's what happenes when you follow false portrayals.  Just something to think about...   I'll speak more on this... one day.

Around the Network
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
ArnoldRimmer said:
The perception of afterlife, god, heaven, hell etc. of most people in this thread is obviously heavily influenced by typical western christian belief.

If your perception of "god" and "afterlife" is starting to become uncomfortable or simply not credible, maybe it's time to alter your perception.

When someone says that they believe or don't believe in god for example, what does that mean except that the person who said so believes or rejects his very own perception of the word "god"?

For example, when most western people hear the word "god", they automatically think of some kind of human-like being, something like an old man sitting on a cloud having a beard. They have a certain perception of the word "god" that they got from their parents, people around them, the priests in church, the guys who made the movies they watched or the Wikipedia-article on "god" (revision 1234567, last modified by user bick_dick_79).
And then they feel very clever rejecting their own ridiculous perception of the word "god"...

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him-"

Genesis 1:27

Also, stop assuming that atheists don't know about the Christian God.

i am sorry, but you can't take that from bible and assume is literal. we were made in his image, meaning we are perfect in our way, we have all the things we need to live is this world. God don't need air, food, hydration, a material body or a image. He is not visible, He is every were...

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

We won't know if it's fair or unfair 'till we see how it's actually going to be.

I'll admit tho that it scares me shitless thinking of the possibility of living forever.

I don't know if it's to do with us currently being human, where everything has an end, and being unable to even fathom eternity.

All I can say right now is that I don't like the thought of it at all.

wfz said:
Jay:

Why does an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God create the universe and create humans for the sole purpose of making us praise him? And if we don't praise and devote our lives to him, we get sent to eternal damnation and torture. 

What kind of selfish, conceited, arrogant bastard God is that? That's what I want to know.

Some of what you said is true...  The other half isn't.  Though to explain it all, I'd have to break out the graphs, and start plotting numbers on graph paper.  It's pretty mind blowing, but, I'm not supposed to talk about it right now. :x

But, I can *at least* say this...

How can anyone say there's no God, simply because you cannot see him, yet, you can't see consciousness either.  You know it's there, it's just, the concept of how religion portrays God is off.  So, going by what religion calls God, the people that don't believe in the religion comes to the conclusion that God doesn't exist.  It's hilarious.

But, I suppose that's what happenes when you follow false portrayals.  Just something to think about...   I'll speak more on this... one day.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Roma said:
the way we live and think alive is different than the way we will in the afterlife

Source?

I wouldn't care how many sources he showed.  I'll ask another question, then, since I'm not supposed to say anything...  But, if science says it's possible to travel back and fourth through time, could you explain the *after life* if we, or, someone went back?  There is no law stopping us from going back, other than our general lack of ability.  So, how would you define "The afterlife"?

Jay520 said:
People think it's fair that God FORCED you into this crazy world without invitation? And then FORCED you to abide by his rules? And then when decide you want to leave this world (suicide), he FORCES you to an eternity in hell? No, he doesn't allow you to stop living, even though you have every right to since you never asked to live. He decides to put you through infinite torture for and infinite amount of time. Not to mention he knew how his plan would end since the beginning. That's fair?

Sounds like a dictat orship to me.

Gow is it any different from todays society? Your forced to abide by rules regardless of your beliefs. So enjoy this life is all i have to say to you.

Speculation is pointless.
But, if it comes to that, I'm sure some spiritual borg like collective will gladly take you in and relieve you of the burden of being yourself.