By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Is it fair that God forces us to be conscious for an eternity?

Answer the damn question!

Yes, it's fair. 49 49.00%

No, it's not fair. 19 19.00%

Other. (Please specify). 32 32.00%

Total:100

“And as He spoke, He no longer looked to them like a lion; but the things that began to happen after that were so great and beautiful that I cannot write them. And for us this the end of all the stories, and we can most truly say that they all lived happily ever after. But for them it was only the beginning of the real story. All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle

JLR

Around the Network
Busted said:
Soriku said:
Busted said:
For God, humans are such meaningless creatures that he's not even aware of their existence so it's not fair nor unfair just it is.

Ehh...maybe in fiction but I don't know how you can even say that with certainty.

If God created something like the universe, it's just over the comprehension of any human being, it has nothing to do with what people imagines, such a complex and deep being that's also almighty would not care for such insignificant creatures. Just think about the size of the universe... no no no, where our tecnology let's us go, the border of the universe that we are able to see, just think what lies beyond that.. i mean we are nothing, i bet that if a God exists and he/she/it created the universe sure has some more important things to do.

Actually, it's really not that complicated...

Jay520 said:
KungKras said:
Jay520 said:
KungKras said:
I'm an atheist, but I have to say, death is the worst thing that can happen to a conciousness, ever.
The moment you die, you might as well have never been born. And it is totally unacceptable.
We need to find a way to stop aging, as fast as fucking possible.

Think about this way: You were dead for all those years before you were born, it wasn't that bad, was it? You can even imagine that the time before your birth and after your death neven even existed. Because it didn't, from your perspective. If you don't percieve something, why even consider it in your reality? You won't percieve death, therefore death is not apart of reality. You're going to live forever, from your point of view.

That's a neat philosophical viewpoint, but thinking about it practiacally, trying to imagine the time before being born is what makes it so incredibly scary.

The moment I die, the memories of the time I lived will be gone. It is true that the time before and after life shouldn't even be considered in my reality, but when I die, my entire life will not be a part of reality as well. I might as well have never been born.

That's why you have to force yourself to not think practically. You have to force yourself to believe that there was no time before you were born & there is not time after you die.

Why should you worry about something you won't experience? Something that won't affect you? Should you worry about things that happen in other universes? No, because those universes cannot affect you in any way. It wouldn't matter if there were 1 million other universes or if there were 0. It wouldn't matter because their existence places no impact on our own.

The same applies to people. Your perspective is your universe. The only things that affect you are the things that affect you are the things that affect yor perspect, from your perspective. If you don't percieve something or it's affects, it may as well not exist. Since you didn't percieve anything before life and you won't won't after life. It may as well not exist. So just live in the now, and when you die, I assure you, you will not regret any of it.

I've found, that works best for me is to not think about it at all most of the time and just try to enjoy life while it lasts.

I think the danger of all these neat philosophical thoughts people have to rationalize away the ultimate horror of death is that if we ever find a way to cure aging, people are going to argue against using it, and that is unacceptable. So I prefer the approach of not lying to myself about death, preparing arguments for the time when science finds a way to get rid of aging, praying to whatever divine entity that might be out there that it will be possible for humans to master physics enough to escape the heat-death of the universe, and just try to enjoy life in the mean time.

I LOVE ICELAND!