By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PASBR vs SSBB, similarities and differences

Tagged games:

Looking for feedback, how is take 2 compared to take 1?

Perfecto! 5 11.36%

Much better. 15 34.09%

Okay I guess. 4 9.09%

Still needs improvement. 2 4.55%

Just as bad as it was. 17 38.64%

Total:43
happydolphin said:
Did any of you actually read the OP, or are you just spamming?

The latter, for me.

Around the Network

Nsanity said:

vid

You know.. I can see only a difference because there is a giant ass title beneath it.... you could have fooled me and say it was from the same game..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Thanks Insanity, yours is the second post of 9 to bring something relevant to the discussion (not counting me and CGI).

Been wondering this since yesterday and am wondering if you could answer it for me.

What is "Default attack reach"?

I was also under the assumption that PSASBR doesn't use %.

What do you mean by "Super Attack Animations"?

What do you mean by "Grab animations"?

Just to clarify, this is what I am seeing.

"Attack Reach": What it takes before an attack hits the opponent. Surely it should always be that when the fist or foot connects, a hit is registered?

"%": Maybe I am looking at different videos, but I don't see the % system.

"Super Attack animations": Who has an super attack like PaRappa, where he busts out in rhythm and attacks all enemies? Who summons large pieces of metal to attach to his body like Sweet Tooth? Or are we saying it copies because the game has special moves? If so, was the game supposed to be strictly jumps, punches and kicks or else it would be lauded as a copy?

"Grab animations": Been trying to find videos on the grabs, but how else do you want them to grab instead of 2 hands grabbing? You want them to grab with one hand approaching from the bottom and one from the top? One hand from the side and one from the top?

I just think that some of the comparisons seem a bit over the top. Unless of course I am just missing the meaning.

Please elaborate, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
SunofKratos said:
i dont get it why people complaining about this.

By what definition is a game a clone.

People say that Forza is a GRan nTurismo clone. People also say Little bIg Planet is a Super Mario Bros clone and Uncharted is a Tomb Raider clone but to be honest i found all those games very unique.

Playstation Battle Royal isnt a clone for several reasons.

First it has Sony Charackters in it ( no super mario look like charackter)
The stages will show two Playstation worlds in one (how awesome is that)
The Story will be different.

Forza and GT are based on real life. Everybody can rip-off real life. 

And really? LBP and Uncharted are really different from Mario and TR, I agree. But Smash Bros. and Sony Bros. are very, very similar... The differences you counted are a joke! Different characters? Different story? Wow, I guess The Great Giana Sisters were not a Mario rip-off than...

Also you mention icon similarities? Is this for the icons at the bottom of the screen?

If so, what else do you want them to do? Only show the characters name? Maybe a full character silhouette? It already is different in that the faces of the characters go outside of the box and it has that weird coloring effect going on underneath as opposed to Smash using something on the side where the % is displayed. On top of that the one in PSASBR has an AP meter too and the box that contains the characters face is angled and not straight up and down like in Smash.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

happydolphin said:

• 1P 2P icon similarities

clearly that's not the case... Nintendo uses P1 P2 while Sony uses 1P 2P.. big big difference

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

tbh i hope PASBR does really well.. the only reason i have a Wii is really for Brawl! i hope Sonys ia actually better then Nints then Nints will b better then Sonys the next time around.. competition is only good for us!

@Bristow9091. Thanks I will be adding that to OP in a sec.

To answer a worthwhile post, to which I'd first like to express my thanks, now I will answer.

Euphoria14 said:
Been wondering this since yesterday and am wondering if you could answer it for me.

What is "Default attack reach"?

Just to clarify, this is what I am seeing.

"Attack Reach": What it takes before an attack hits the opponent. Surely it should always be that when the fist or foot connects, a hit is registered?

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Compare say Soul Calibur to Tekken. You can see that in one game it may take more time to land a move due to the use of weapons versus the use of fists and feet. These are the kind of comparisons I'm looking for. I know there are some fighter fans on vgchartz so some could help elaborate or discard this as needed.

I was also under the assumption that PSASBR doesn't use %.

"%": Maybe I am looking at different videos, but I don't see the % system.

I must have been under the wrong impression,  I can remove it from OP. So, do the players have health at all or is it all live or die, with the AP bar being the ability to eliminate an opponent?

What do you mean by "Grab animations"? 

"Grab animations": Been trying to find videos on the grabs, but how else do you want them to grab instead of 2 hands grabbing? You want them to grab with one hand approaching from the bottom and one from the top? One hand from the side and one from the top?

If you look at games like Soul Calibur or Tekken, they have a similar grab style. The are grab and throw animations. In smash, it's more like grab, pummel, throw. PABR is identical in the the way the throws are performed in my view, but I need some more expert feedback on this, since my impression is too premature, I need more dialogue to form a complete opinion.

What do you mean by "Super Attack Animations"?

"Super Attack animations": Who has an super attack like PaRappa, where he busts out in rhythm and attacks all enemies? Who summons large pieces of metal to attach to his body like Sweet Tooth? Or are we saying it copies because the game has special moves? If so, was the game supposed to be strictly jumps, punches and kicks or else it would be lauded as a copy? 

I understand the variety in the super attacks. But one this we need to remember is that there is variety within the Smash characters in their super attacks as well.

The key question about this is, are the constructs themselves architecturally different, above and beyond the variations. How does the super jump into the animation? The screen goes black, the character glows, makes a big taunt/dance and then dishes out the fury

The animation, meaning the template is the same between both games.

I just think that some of the comparisons seem a bit over the top. Unless of course I am just missing the meaning.

I understand this can sound absurd, but I am looking for fans of fighting games who can spot these subtle differences and similarities so as to paint the full picture and drive away from the youtube contention the internet normally provides.

Please elaborate, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

With a post like yours, it's a delight.