By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PASBR vs SSBB, similarities and differences

Tagged games:

Looking for feedback, how is take 2 compared to take 1?

Perfecto! 5 11.36%

Much better. 15 34.09%

Okay I guess. 4 9.09%

Still needs improvement. 2 4.55%

Just as bad as it was. 17 38.64%

Total:43

The fact that we need this thread is proof enough.

Around the Network

I genuinely do not understand the question in the OP O_o

It's obviously heavily inspired by Smash Bros. Personally, I'm cool with that. If you're going to do something like this, you might as well do it properly, and 2D/Ragdoll physics works perfectly in Smash.

Similar games - like Power Stone (and Ehrgeiz) try something different in 3D, but in my opinion they don't work anywhere near as well as Smash does. They feel slow and clunkier. Good fun for what they are, of course, but I get a sense of 'could be better' when playing them.

In any case, I'll be buying and (hopefully) loving this game. I played the shit out of Brawl but felt quite let down with it because (again, my opinion) it failed hard in quite a few areas and was a step backwards from Melee in quite a number of ways. At the very worst, this might convince Nintendo to bring their A-Game to the new Smash Bros.

Though I disagree with the OP's verdict, I like the effort he put on it. Thank you.

Kresnik said:
I genuinely do not understand the question in the OP O_o

It's obviously heavily inspired by Smash Bros. Personally, I'm cool with that. If you're going to do something like this, you might as well do it properly, and 2D/Ragdoll physics works perfectly in Smash.

Similar games - like Power Stone (and Ehrgeiz) try something different in 3D, but in my opinion they don't work anywhere near as well as Smash does. They feel slow and clunkier. Good fun for what they are, of course, but I get a sense of 'could be better' when playing them.

In any case, I'll be buying and (hopefully) loving this game. I played the shit out of Brawl but felt quite let down with it because (again, my opinion) it failed hard in quite a few areas and was a step backwards from Melee in quite a number of ways. At the very worst, this might convince Nintendo to bring their A-Game to the new Smash Bros.

Kres,ask and I'll explain. To be fair it may have been wordy, but it was not hard to understand. I'll try to clean it up a bit.

For now, the OP is a place to look at different offerings in the genre, compare, and look for any differences or similarities that haven't been brought up yet. That way people can decide for themselves.

At the same time, state a verdict (is it a clone, an inspiration, explain), pretty much like you've done.

I also very much agree with your last sentence, though I've come to appreciate Brawl much more over the years.

happydolphin said:

Kres,ask and I'll explain. To be fair it may have been wordy, but it was not hard to understand. I'll try to clean it up a bit.

For now, the OP is a place to look at different offerings in the genre, compare, and look for any differences or similarities that haven't been brought up yet. That way people can decide for themselves.

At the same time, state a verdict (is it a clone, an inspiration, explain), pretty much like you've done.

I also very much agree with your last sentence, though I've come to appreciate Brawl much more over the years.

That was me asking for you to explain (in a roundabout way, I guess :P)

I should have been more specific though.  I understand the content of your post.  I don't understand the Take 1 / Take 2 part.  What is that referring to?  

Around the Network

Oh, that's because my first thread on the issue was too controversial and invited alot of hostility and spam, so with the help of CGI I redesigned the thread to make it completely objective so people could decide from themselves. This was take 2, I think I'll just clean that out of OP. :]

happydolphin said:

Oh, that's because my first thread on the issue was too controversial and invited alot of hostility and spam, so with the help of CGI I redesigned the thread to make it completely objective so people could decide from themselves. This was take 2, I think I'll just clean that out of OP. :]

Ah, that would explain it then.  I just wondered if there was something else I was missing, that was all :)

I think there is an unfair amount of PSBASR threads and not enough SSBB threads

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

I think Jeremy Jahns said it good
"How much is too much?"