By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PASBR vs SSBB, similarities and differences

Tagged games:

Looking for feedback, how is take 2 compared to take 1?

Perfecto! 5 11.36%

Much better. 15 34.09%

Okay I guess. 4 9.09%

Still needs improvement. 2 4.55%

Just as bad as it was. 17 38.64%

Total:43
happydolphin said:

@Bristow9091. Thanks I will be adding that to OP in a sec.

To answer a worthwhile post, to which I'd first like to express my thanks, now I will answer.

Euphoria14 said:
Been wondering this since yesterday and am wondering if you could answer it for me.

What is "Default attack reach"?

Just to clarify, this is what I am seeing.

"Attack Reach": What it takes before an attack hits the opponent. Surely it should always be that when the fist or foot connects, a hit is registered?

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Compare say Soul Calibur to Tekken. You can see that in one game it may take more time to land a move due to the use of weapons versus the use of fists and feet. These are the kind of comparisons I'm looking for. I know there are some fighter fans on vgchartz so some could help elaborate or discard this as needed.

Now knowing that, I do not understand the comparison. Kratos' blades of Chaos register a hit when it connects to the opponent, much like when Fat Princess summons help from an ally or when Sweet Tooth does a shoulder charge. When a hit registers should never be anything other than when the point of attack reaching the point of contact.

I was also under the assumption that PSASBR doesn't use %.

"%": Maybe I am looking at different videos, but I don't see the % system.

I must have been under the wrong impression,  I can remove it from OP. So, do the players have health at all or is it all live or die, with the AP bar being the ability to eliminate an opponent?

Characters from what we know so far can only be defeated through use of Super Attacks. One must raise their AP to lvl 1, 2 or 3.  These AP levels rise by registering hits on your opponents and also reduced by taking damage or getting hit by weapons and/or stage threats (ie: Hades, answering the BuZZ questions wrong). AP that is lost this way can be picked up by opposing players.

What do you mean by "Grab animations"? 

"Grab animations": Been trying to find videos on the grabs, but how else do you want them to grab instead of 2 hands grabbing? You want them to grab with one hand approaching from the bottom and one from the top? One hand from the side and one from the top?

If you look at games like Soul Calibur or Tekken, they have a similar grab style. The are grab and throw animations. In smash, it's more like grab, pummel, throw. PABR is identical in the the way the throws are performed in my view, but I need some more expert feedback on this, since my impression is too premature, I need more dialogue to form a complete opinion.

We have only seen a few characters so we do now know how they all work yet, but they say that Kratos attacks just as he does in God of War, so I would assume one of his throws is while airborn he shoots his blades diagnally downwars. Also remember that in PSASBR you have a grab button, however you also use the right analog in conjunction with the grab button to perform different grabs, meaning each character can have up to 4-5 different grab attacks from what I have learned. How many grabs do each character have in Smash?

What do you mean by "Super Attack Animations"?

"Super Attack animations": Who has an super attack like PaRappa, where he busts out in rhythm and attacks all enemies? Who summons large pieces of metal to attach to his body like Sweet Tooth? Or are we saying it copies because the game has special moves? If so, was the game supposed to be strictly jumps, punches and kicks or else it would be lauded as a copy? 

I understand the variety in the super attacks. But one this we need to remember is that there is variety within the Smash characters in their super attacks as well.

The key question about this is, are the constructs themselves architecturally different, above and beyond the variations. How does the super jump into the animation? The screen goes black, the character glows, makes a big taunt/dance and then dishes out the fury

The animation, meaning the template is the same between both games.

What fighting game doesn't show something flashy before a super attack? PaRappa's level 1 special where he rides his skateboard and this special has no breaks between the action, just a press of the button, jumps on his skateboard and you're off. Only time I saw any break between the action to display something flashy was Sweet Tooth's Level 3 attack. I am going to guess the same for PaRappa's level 3, in which he does his rap solo and it attacks the entire stage. It's his "Hot Damn, Master plan".

I just think that some of the comparisons seem a bit over the top. Unless of course I am just missing the meaning.

I understand this can sound absurd, but I am looking for fans of fighting games who can spot these subtle differences and similarities so as to paint the full picture and drive away from the youtube contention the internet normally provides.

Gotcha.

Please elaborate, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

With a post like yours, it's a delight.

Thanks.

All reponses are in bold under your responses.

To add to the differences between the two games courtesy of Siliconera.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/27/how-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-is-different-from-super-smash-bros/

The ones I was unaware of was that before the match begins players can move freely (Not attack) around the stage to set themselves strategically.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Another key difference to add is this:

When you kill an opponent you gain a point. When you get killed you lose a point.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/04/27/how-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-is-different-from-super-smash-bros/

The ones I was unaware of was that before the match begins players can move freely (Not attack) around the stage to set themselves strategically.

Thanks for the link, and I added the positioning system (at start of battle) in the differences in OP

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Compare say Soul Calibur to Tekken. You can see that in one game it may take more time to land a move due to the use of weapons versus the use of fists and feet. These are the kind of comparisons I'm looking for. I know there are some fighter fans on vgchartz so some could help elaborate or discard this as needed.

Now knowing that, I do not understand the comparison. Kratos' blades of Chaos register a hit when it connects to the opponent, much like when Fat Princess summons help from an ally or when Sweet Tooth does a shoulder charge. When a hit registers should never be anything other than when the point of attack reaching the point of contact.

For example, in Smash bros, you have Link and the Fire Emblem characters that wield weapons, and their attacks to take a little bit more time (more obvious in smash 64 for link), but they are still within the bounds of the game's time between hit and reaching point of contact. The difference between Soul Calibur and Tekken is more easy to see for some reason. I don't have much insight on this one maybe others can fill in the gap and pitch in (assuming we have a community capable of that).

I must have been under the wrong impression,  I can remove it from OP. So, do the players have health at all or is it all live or die, with the AP bar being the ability to eliminate an opponent?

Characters from what we know so far can only be defeated through use of Super Attacks. One must raise their AP to lvl 1, 2 or 3.  These AP levels rise by registering hits on your opponents and also reduced by taking damage or getting hit by weapons and/or stage threats (ie: Hades, answering the BuZZ questions wrong). AP that is lost this way can be picked up by opposing players.

Good clarification, thanks. That's a really neat system actually.

If you look at games like Soul Calibur or Tekken, they have a similar grab style. The are grab and throw animations. In smash, it's more like grab, pummel, throw. PABR is identical in the the way the throws are performed in my view, but I need some more expert feedback on this, since my impression is too premature, I need more dialogue to form a complete opinion.

We have only seen a few characters so we do now know how they all work yet, but they say that Kratos attacks just as he does in God of War, so I would assume one of his throws is while airborn he shoots his blades diagnally downwars. Also remember that in PSASBR you have a grab button, however you also use the right analog in conjunction with the grab button to perform different grabs, meaning each character can have up to 4-5 different grab attacks from what I have learned. How many grabs do each character have in Smash?

There are moves like the one you're describing for cratos in Smash as well. For example, star fox, after a grab, he throws the character and then shoots him with lasers in diagonal.

In Melee/Brawl you have 4 different non-attack grabs (ie. regular grabs unlike bowser's front B). They're performed using the directional arrows after hitting Z or Block+Attack. Every direction has a different animation and launches the character in a different way, allowing for different juggle follow-ups.

But the main similarities I found were in the choreographies (what the characters do when they grab), and this was based mostly off of what I saw from Parappa.

I understand the variety in the super attacks. But one this we need to remember is that there is variety within the Smash characters in their super attacks as well.

The key question about this is, are the constructs themselves architecturally different, above and beyond the variations. How does the super jump into the animation? The screen goes black, the character glows, makes a big taunt/dance and then dishes out the fury

What fighting game doesn't show something flashy before a super attack? PaRappa's level 1 special where he rides his skateboard and this special has no breaks between the action, just a press of the button, jumps on his skateboard and you're off. Only time I saw any break between the action to display something flashy was Sweet Tooth's Level 3 attack. I am going to guess the same for PaRappa's level 3, in which he does his rap solo and it attacks the entire stage. It's his "Hot Damn, Master plan".

True, but for example in SF IV 3D edition, the animation of the super is locked, you can't do anything or affect the way the super is played out. There's a difference we don't see between PABR and Smash for example.

One thing what you said does bring out though is that some supers might not have a dark then glowy animation like Brawl, you mentioned PaRappa's skateboard move. Could it be that only level 3 supers have such animations? We'll have to wait and see.

When you kill an opponent you gain a point. When you get killed you lose a point.

It's the same in Smash when playing in Time mode, -1 for SD, -1 for death, +1 for kill. Stock is different, but PABR will probably follow the same system for stock mode as well.

SunofKratos said:
i dont get it why people complaining about this.

By what definition is a game a clone.

People say that Forza is a GRan nTurismo clone. People also say Little bIg Planet is a Super Mario Bros clone and Uncharted is a Tomb Raider clone but to be honest i found all those games very unique.

Playstation Battle Royal isnt a clone for several reasons.

First it has Sony Charackters in it ( no super mario look like charackter)
The stages will show two Playstation worlds in one (how awesome is that)
The Story will be different.

It is a clone if while making the game, you have a Wii in your office.

I was fine with Sony making a game where their franchises characters fight, but it bothers me how similar the games are. There may be some minor changes, but it is like copying a paper someone wrote, and changing some of the parts in it. It is still copying.

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

happydolphin said:

Thanks for the link, and I added the positioning system (at start of battle) in the differences in OP

For example, in Smash bros, you have Link and the Fire Emblem characters that wield weapons, and their attacks to take a little bit more time (more obvious in smash 64 for link), but they are still within the bounds of the game's time between hit and reaching point of contact. The difference between Soul Calibur and Tekken is more easy to see for some reason. I don't have much insight on this one maybe others can fill in the gap and pitch in (assuming we have a community capable of that).

So you are talking about how some characters takes longer or shorter amounts of time before contact is made? I believe this is present in just about any fighting game. Honestly though I am still confused on this one and even so, we would need to see the rest of the roster first.

Good clarification, thanks. That's a really neat system actually.

There are moves like the one you're describing for cratos in Smash as well. For example, star fox, after a grab, he throws the character and then shoots him with lasers in diagonal.

In Melee/Brawl you have 4 different non-attack grabs (ie. regular grabs unlike bowser's front B). They're performed using the directional arrows after hitting Z or Block+Attack. Every direction has a different animation and launches the character in a different way, allowing for different juggle follow-ups.

But the main similarities I found were in the choreographies (what the characters do when they grab), and this was based mostly off of what I saw from Parappa.

So this will also be something that requires more information. We will need to see more at E3. Even so, I find something like "how he/she grabs" to not be that big a deal as long as the game itself plays out differently. Most of these are purely cosmetic.

True, but for example in SF IV 3D edition, the animation of the super is locked, you can't do anything or affect the way the super is played out. There's a difference we don't see between PABR and Smash for example.

One thing what you said does bring out though is that some supers might not have a dark then glowy animation like Brawl, you mentioned PaRappa's skateboard move. Could it be that only level 3 supers have such animations? We'll have to wait and see.

I believe that only level 3 supers have the big animations since they are big time area attacks. Sweet Tooth's might not be a full area attack though but rather one that temporarily turns his attacks into insta kills and he is granted incredible range, speed and coverage with his guns.

It's the same in Smash when playing in Time mode, -1 for SD, -1 for death, +1 for kill. Stock is different, but PABR will probably follow the same system for stock mode as well.

Like I said in the other thread, I haven't played Smash Bros in a while so I might be wrong on a few things, like the +1/-1 thing, and yes, PSASBR will have a stock mode. Still, while it is clearly a title inspired and in some aspects heavily borrowing from Smash Bros. I believe it will have enough to enable it to stand on it's own. I know I will love having both.

One of the things I do like more about PSASBR than Smash though is what I have heard in regards to it's single player mode, which supposedly incorporates the best of online and offline play, meaning we may have AI in single player story mode replaced with real online opponents. I also want to do some of these online tournaments in tournament mode. So yes, while it may copy quite a bit, it clearly makes many big improvements which will only lead to a much better Smash Bros 4. So while it may seem like only improvements, all the online features should be listed as differences as well.

Currently playing:

Around the Network

You say you are getting a PS3 right? If so, be sure to add me if you are going to get this game.

Currently playing:

NiKKoM said:
happydolphin said:

• 1P 2P icon similarities

clearly that's not the case... Nintendo uses P1 P2 while Sony uses 1P 2P.. big big difference

and smash bros was the first game to denote each player with an icon?

Let me tell you why people are complaining about this, people are complaining because of "Self-Entitled Bitch Syndrome". It is a (hopefully) terminal illness that afflicts at least 60% of gamers. If they dislike a certain brand, or love their brand too much, this virus manifests itself in their brains and eats away at the frontal lobe thus eliminating their reasoning ability. It is unfortunately a disease that society is not ready to talk about.

Why gamers have little to no emotional intelligence is beyond me. Why they throw a fuss over something so asinine is beyond me. Why they get so ridiculously defensive or offensive (depending on the situation) is beyond me. Like the video said, every genre in videogames was born from a SINGLE game. Yet that fact does not resonate with these tards. It's a game people, its coming out whether you like it or not, and it will probably sell decently well. Move on brother, there are far more important things in this world to grief about...

MessiaH said:
Let me tell you why people are complaining about this, people are complaining because of "Self-Entitled Bitch Syndrome". It is a (hopefully) terminal illness that afflicts at least 60% of gamers. If they dislike a certain brand, or love their brand too much, this virus manifests itself in their brains and eats away at the frontal lobe thus eliminating their reasoning ability. It is unfortunately a disease that society is not ready to talk about.

Why gamers have little to no emotional intelligence is beyond me. Why they throw a fuss over something so asinine is beyond me. Why they get so ridiculously defensive or offensive (depending on the situation) is beyond me. Like the video said, every genre in videogames was born from a SINGLE game. Yet that fact does not resonate with these tards. It's a game people, its coming out whether you like it or not, and it will probably sell decently well. Move on brother, there are far more important things in this world to grief about...

If you have issues with the thread, kindly report it. As far as participation goes, you're violating the guidelines of the thread so please leave.

Euphoria14 said:
You say you are getting a PS3 right? If so, be sure to add me if you are going to get this game.

I just bought one on Saturday, my PSN is happyd84. I'll add you when I get home. Thanks for participating properly, I really appreciate that.

If I've learnt one thing this far is that real participation is a rarity in this forum. I'm glad I got some from you.