By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Do You Like (and Dislike) Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft The Most?

Tagged games:

Which Do You Like the Most?

Nintendo. 80 45.45%

Sony. 71 40.34%

Microsoft. 21 11.93%

Total:172

Nintendo:
Like - They always have a solid first party lineup for their consoles, constantly innovate with their consoles,probably the nicest company of the big three.
Dislike - They milk their franchises to death with little to no changes, NSMB2 for example. 3rd party support for the Wii was pathetic and games were constantly watered down compared to the other consoles. Online and e-shop is a joke.

Sony:
Like - Solid 1st party lineup with constant releases and new IPs. Free online, bluray player, solid controller, Vita is perhaps the nicest handheld I've ever held. Create sequels to franchises even if they weren't too successful.
Dislike: Pathetic marketing for the games division, stupid decisions with the PS3 put them from 1st place to 3rd place. Legend of Dragoon deserves a sequel.

Microsoft:
Like - Solid 3rd party support with plenty of exclusive deals for demos and dlc. XBLA has a ton of games. Good mix of casual and hardcore for their console. Solid marketing for their games division. 360 has the best controller in gaming history.
Dislike - Pathetically small amount of 1st party games, having to pay for online is ridiculous, annoying hardware failure rate, turned Rare into a joke, Kinect has a weak amount of software and doesn't live up to the hype.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network
chocoloco said:
This is a good thread, but lol at people acting like there is honor and formality when it comes to companies competing and relating to the competition. Not thinking in reality.

That said, has anyone said the love MS the most yet?

I don't think so. Let me put a poll in to see.

Nintendo :

like - strong first party games (Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Xenoblade, Advance Wars, etc.)

dislike - emphasis on Mario games and casual gaming

Sony :

like - core gaming first, gets most JRPGs, free online, best hardware imo

dislike - lack of support towards 3rd parties, hardware launch misshaps (PS2, PS3, Vita)

Microsoft :

like - none

dislike hate - steals franchises from others (Star Ocean, Tales of Vesperia), focus on Kinect

Conegamer said:
Jay520 said:
Conegamer said:

Correct, but without any quantification it's an opinion, not a fact.

Opinion- "I think we're the best!"

Fact- "We're the best, because we've won the championship!"

A fact is a fact if there's proof behind it. Sony go around acting like their opinion is fact, and they know it. And they don't even try to quantify it. Instead, they belittle the competition and act like they know everything (*cough* Kevin Butler *cough*). That's what irks me.

Interesting.

I don't think I've witnessed Sony touting their opinion as fact any more than the other Big Two. What evidence do you have to support your claim other than just Kevin Butler's existence?

Here's a few non-Butler ones I could find (because everything with Butler in is funny, but it does pretty much confirm what I was saying) 

John Koller-Marketing executive:

If Nintendo is really committed to reaching a broader, more diverse audience of gamers beyond the ‘kids’ market that they've always engaged, there isn't much new with the DSi to support that. Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi. Compare that with the PSP platform, where we have many blockbuster franchises from our publishing partners launching this year, representing a wide variety of genres and targeting diverse demographics. Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP. From our own first-party studios, we're launching unique versions of LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm, and we're also planning a steady stream of downloadable games -- both new titles and PSone classics -- to add to the content that PSP owners can already purchase wirelessly through PlayStation Store.

Ken Kutaragi- Exec

"You can communicate to a new cybercity. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!"

"The PS3 is not a game machine. It's something else. It's better than that. "

"[We want] consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

"It's probably too cheap ... This is the PS3 price. Expensive, cheap -- we don't want you to think of it in terms of game machines. Because the PS3 is like nothing else."

Jack Tretton:

"If you can find a PS3 anywhere in North America that's been on shelves for more than five minutes, I'll give you 1200 bucks for it." 

> "[Microsoft and Nintendo] are starting to run out of steam now in terms of continuing to be relevant in 2011 and beyond. I mean, you’ve gotta be kidding me. Why would I buy a gaming system without a hard drive in it? How does this thing scale? Motion gaming is cute, but if I can only wave my arms six inches, how does this really feel like I’m doing true accurate motion gaming? Our view of the ‘Game Boy experience’ is that it’s a great babysitting tool, (but) no self-respecting 20-something is going to be sitting on an airplane with one of those. He’s too old for that."

"The next generation starts when we say so"

"The PS3 is still dominant (mid '07)

And who could forget 'It only does everything'? There's many, many more, but that's a good example of the over-confidence and arrogance I was talking about.

Hilarious. Sony was arrogant yes, but that was at the start of this gen, they do not belittle the competition ever since. Thats why almost all your quotes are 5 6 years old. You should let it go dude.

Jay520 said:
Conegamer said:

Here's a few non-Butler ones I could find (because everything with Butler in is funny, but it does pretty much confirm what I was saying) 

John Koller-Marketing executive:

If Nintendo is really committed to reaching a broader, more diverse audience of gamers beyond the ‘kids’ market that they've always engaged, there isn't much new with the DSi to support that. Significant gamer demographic groups are being ignored, and there continues to be limited opportunities for games from external publishers to do well on the DSi. Compare that with the PSP platform, where we have many blockbuster franchises from our publishing partners launching this year, representing a wide variety of genres and targeting diverse demographics. Games such as Rock Band Unplugged from MTV Games, Assassin's Creed from Ubisoft, Dissidia Final Fantasy from Square Enix, and Hannah Montana from Disney demonstrate the commitment that publishers have to the PSP. From our own first-party studios, we're launching unique versions of LittleBigPlanet and MotorStorm, and we're also planning a steady stream of downloadable games -- both new titles and PSone classics -- to add to the content that PSP owners can already purchase wirelessly through PlayStation Store.

Ken Kutaragi- Exec

"You can communicate to a new cybercity. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!"

"The PS3 is not a game machine. It's something else. It's better than that. "

"[We want] consumers to think to themselves 'I will work more hours to buy one'. We want people to feel that they want it, irrespective of anything else."

"It's probably too cheap ... This is the PS3 price. Expensive, cheap -- we don't want you to think of it in terms of game machines. Because the PS3 is like nothing else."

And who could forget 'It only does everything'? There's many, many more, but that's a good example of the over-confidence and arrogance I was talking about

I was responding to these quotes, but I see you've added a lot more. I shall work on explaining why most of those quotes don't prove your point and I'll post some Nintendo & Microsoft quotes to show that they are just as bad as Sony. (or at least a few of Son'y employees). This may take a while though.

I can wait. Infact, I'll help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms3r2o_eqX4

But there's no point. Because I'm aware of that fact. It's all a PR stunt, after all. But Sony do it more than everyone else.

I'm also aware that there's always a few select people, and, as has been stated, they're much better than they used to be (however, some of them, like the 3DS one, is quite recent). But that's the point, it's a few people. It's not representing Sony as a whole. But they do have to be wary, as it's mostly the PR guys who are doing it, the people who are in the public domain.

In general, Sony, like every company, aren't arrogant, or big-heaed, or anything like that. But it doesn't mean that they haven't said things that are. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

@Turkish My quote was only last month, check the link.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

Turkish said:

Hilarious. Sony was arrogant yes, but that was at the start of this gen, they do not belittle the competition ever since. Thats why almost all your quotes are 5 6 years old. You should let it go dude.

You should read my latest post. It'll all make sense then.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

lol how did I know this thread would devolve in a bunch of bitter Nintendo fans venting the true reasons why they hate Sony

-mod edit-

The user has been warned for this post.

There was a thread like this a while ago, so I'll just edit in what I said there:

Nintendo

• I like that there games focus on gameplay and content more so than graphics.
    • I like they're unique-ness.
  • Dislikes:
    • I dislike their current online system.
    • I dislike the fact that they're games stay full price forever.
    • I dislike they're lack of third-party support.

Microsoft

• I like the controller that they made for the Xbox 360.
    • I like the User-interface they've created for the Xbox 360.
    • I like they're marketing
  • Dislikes: 
    • I dislike the cost to play games online.
    • I dislike they're relatively weak first party.
    • I dislike they're marketing
    • I dislike how some of they're games have impacted the industry.

Sony

• I like they're abundance of exclusives.
    • I like the risks they take.
  • Dislikes:  
    • I dislike a few of their studios who lack the inegrity to make their own unique games & try to copy other games.
    • I dislike how they can stretch their resources thin (PS3, PSV, Move, and 3D)
    • I dislike the complex architecture they've created for the PS3.
    • I dislike that they're broke.

Sony execs were born to rustle jimmies. They do it better than anyone else.

Hell, they do it to eachother: 

Shuhei Yoshida is the President of Worldwide Studios, Sony Computer Entertainment. 

Face it, Sony stops this industry from being boring.