By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Do You Like (and Dislike) Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft The Most?

Tagged games:

Which Do You Like the Most?

Nintendo. 80 45.45%

Sony. 71 40.34%

Microsoft. 21 11.93%

Total:172

Nintendo

They keeping gaming and their consoles original and pure.
They focus primarily on gameplay.
They do their own thing.
They're giving gaming a good image.

Dislikes:
You don't always get what you pay for with their systems.
They've shunned the hardcore gamer.
They've alienated many 3rd party developers.
They're over using their IP's and recycling games from previous generations.

Microsoft

They've innovated a lot, especially with online gaming and features.
They kicked SONY into gear after their slump and even had the generosity to let them borrow their ideas.
They've made Westerns developers and formerly PC developers popular on consoles.
They know how to market.

Dislikes:
...They know how to market. It's so cheesy, but even worse, it actually works.
They are the masters of moneyhatting.
They don't seem to care very much about their consumers (RROD etc.).
They're giving gaming a bad image.
I believe they're partly responsibly for the Westernisation of gaming (DLC, patches, unoriginal games etc.).
They always seem to be going for your wallet.
PR comes off as arrogant at times.

Sony

They give me my preferred gaming experience.
It almost seems as if they love me.
The PS3 is a great piece of hardware.
They have many loyal 1st and 3rd party developers with some amazing franchises under their wing.

Dislikes:
They seem to think they're a non-profit organisation.
They can't market for shit.
They're constantly making mistakes and always fall down at the last hurdle.
They have fallen a long way since the PS1 and PS2 days.
They aren't making enough of an effort with 3rd party developers.
The exclusives they push most are the ones I don't care about.
They have copied Microsoft too much this generation.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:

[Sony] can't market for shit.

Actually, Sony does a good job at advertising their high-quality (90+ rated) games.

logic56 said:

(Insert his likes and dislikes here)

The funniest one till now, even surprassing Turkish. 

You people can see it for yourself! Microsoft is liked the least  according to 40 people so far.

Some shameless self promotion here, take a look at the spinoff thread to this: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=142799&page=1#

Around the Network
Jay520 said:
brendude13 said:

[Sony] can't market for shit.

Actually, Sony does a good job at advertising their high-quality (90+ rated) games.

Meeh. You really think so? It's not necessarily bad and some adverts I've seen for PS3 exclusives have been good, but in the end, they have a fantastic game and it still fails to sell anywhere near the amount that Halo, Gears, Mario and Zelda does. It's not the advertisements I think SONY are bad at, it's just the marketting in general, they aren't making their 1st party franchises iconic.

brendude13 said:

Meeh. You really think so? It's not necessarily bad and some adverts I've seen for PS3 exclusives have been good, but in the end, they have a fantastic game and it still fails to sell anywhere near the amount that Halo, Gears, Mario and Zelda does. It's not the advertisements I think SONY are bad at, it's just the marketting in general, they aren't making their 1st party franchises iconic.

The reason most of these fantastic games fail to reach those numbers is because they simply lack the the capability to do so. It's not really a marketing issue.

brendude13 said:

MS:

They've made Westerns developers and formerly PC developers popular on consoles.

I believe they're partly responsibly for the Westernisation of gaming (DLC, patches, unoriginal games etc.).

Sony:.

These are the only few things I disagree in your post because I think they are all good things. Especially Sony improving psn, which I fell if MS did not move it forward Sony would have thought online was not popular and would have slowed the progress.

Western games are my favorite so I believe MS has shifted the focus for the better in my prefrences.

Sony:

Like - Nostalgia factor, good controller, best exclusives

Dislike - PS3 was a bit of a disappointment hardware wise, too expensive, online not as good as XBL

Microsoft:

Like - Best online, 3rd party support

Dislike - Unreliable hardware, terrible 1st party, Kinect is super lame IMO

Nintendo:

Like - Fun, has some decent games

Dislike - Overrated first party (but still pretty good), too much motion control not enough standard controller, meagre 3rd party.

chocoloco said:
brendude13 said:

MS:

1. They've made Westerns developers and formerly PC developers popular on consoles.

2. I believe they're partly responsibly for the Westernisation of gaming (DLC, patches, unoriginal games etc.).

Sony:.

These are the only few things I disagree in your post because I think they are all good things. Especially Sony improving psn, which I fell if MS did not move it forward Sony would have thought online was not popular and would have slowed the progress.

Western games are my favorite so I believe MS has shifted the focus for the better in my prefrences.

The first one was listed as a like.

The second one is purely opinion and was to show that there were downsides to the Westernisation of gaming, I like all games, regardless of the genre and in what country it was made, but I feel that most popular Western games lack creativity.

As for SONY copying Microsoft too much, I guess it could be considered a good thing, but because the Xbox 360 and PS3 are so similar and the fact that the Xbox 360 is cheaper, many people choose to buy the Xbox 360. I listed it as a negative point because SONY were playing catch up, if they tried to differentiate the PS3 from the Xbox 360 and thought of some of Microsoft's innovations first, they would be doing a lot better right now.