By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Do You Like (and Dislike) Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft The Most?

Tagged games:

Which Do You Like the Most?

Nintendo. 80 45.45%

Sony. 71 40.34%

Microsoft. 21 11.93%

Total:172

SONY

Like:
Variety
New IPs constantly
They've got balls to take on risky projects
Dislike-
Prices

Nintendo

Like: They know how to print money.
Dislike:
Lack of Variety
Always playing it safe...

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
chocoloco said:
brendude13 said:

MS:

1. They've made Westerns developers and formerly PC developers popular on consoles.

2. I believe they're partly responsibly for the Westernisation of gaming (DLC, patches, unoriginal games etc.).

Sony:.

They have copied Microsoft too much this generation.

These are the only few things I disagree in your post because I think they are all good things. Especially Sony improving psn, which I fell if MS did not move it forward Sony would have thought online was not popular and would have slowed the progress.

Western games are my favorite so I believe MS has shifted the focus for the better in my prefrences.

The first one was listed as a like.

The second one is purely opinion and was to show that there were downsides to the Westernisation of gaming, I like all games, regardless of the genre and in what country it was made, but I feel that most popular Western games lack creativity.

As for SONY copying Microsoft too much, I guess it could be considered a good thing, but because the Xbox 360 and PS3 are so similar and the fact that the Xbox 360 is cheaper, many people choose to buy the Xbox 360. I listed it as a negative point because SONY were playing catch up, if they tried to differentiate the PS3 from the Xbox 360 and thought of some of Microsoft's innovations first, they would be doing a lot better right now.

Well it looks like I agree with you more.       Looks like I gave you an opportunity to share more of your opinion.

Yeah I have truthfully always found that the library was extremely close on both systems and that the 360 has always done so well especially early on by being cheaper. So I can hardly blame many people buying it when the PS3 performs almost exactly the same.

@dgc, I love "Always playing it safe". The Wii was surely a safe move, no risk at all

happydolphin said:

@dgc, I love "Always playing it safe". The Wii was surely a safe move, no risk at all

risk implies you have something to lose after gamecube how much did Nintendo have to lose

logic56 said:
happydolphin said:

risk implies you have something to lose after gamecube how much did Nintendo have to lose

Their massive profit streak.

Around the Network

N: Like: I like the motion controls, enjoyed Just Dance immensely with a load of friends, female of course. Always fun to make a complete and utter tit of yourself in front of girls.. O wait, but it's still fun as hell!

Dislike: Not appealing enough to me to purchase the hardware unfortunately, for the life of me, I can't recall a single game that I really wanted to play by myself, in the comfort of my home that was on the Nintendo system, I think this is due to the fact that I grew up without a Nintendo so the system sellers like Mario, Zelda etc don't appeal to me personally.

S: Like: The variety in exclusives is good, and the gem that is Heavy Rain and UC2, which were both good games. Hardware design of the old phat models have always appealed to me.
Dislike: The controller, the fact that it takes DAYS to update the games, and the patches are in the region of 500-1GB, also the online is quiet and desolate, it's free but you don't really get much in terms of social experience.

M: Like: The controller, the better implementation of online services for the small monthly fee, LE consoles that are often available - MW3/Gears etc. Fast updates, and overall balanced servers online.
Dislike: The latest concentration of first party studios on Kinect based games, although I liked Kinect, I think there should be more controller based games to cater for the more "mature" audiences. The unreliability of the old, pre-slim models. Lack of new IP, as it seems to be Forza/Gears/Halo/Fable cycle.

Overall gripe: Console exclusive DLC and time exclusive content such as the MW3 packs, although I don't really get those anyway, but just to use as an example.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
logic56 said:
happydolphin said:

wii was sold at a loss?

logic56 said:
happydolphin said:

They had everything (the market) to lose.

Here is how Yamauchi put it in those days (2004 to 2006) - this is old so the links don't work anymore:

The fate of Nintendo hinges on the DS
Quote:
- If the DS succeeds, we will rise to heaven, but if it fails we will sink to hell 
- The next two years will decide Nintendo's fate

[source: http://game-science.com/news/000406.html ]

Quote:
The DS represents a critical moment for Nintendo's success over the next two years, Yamauchi said -- "if it succeeds, we rise to the heavens, if it fails, we sink into hell."

[source: http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1527048,00.asp ]

Quote:
"If we are unsuccessful with the Nintendo DS, we may not go bankrupt, but we will be crushed. The next two years will be a really crucial time for Nintendo."

[source: http://cube.ign.com/articles/492/492253p1.html ]

(I first found some of those articles mentioned in this thread: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10290 )

logic56 said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
logic56 said:

wii was sold at a loss?

Yes. At one point Miyamoto was even forced to get a second job at Burger King to cover up the losses.

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
logic56 said:

wii was sold at a loss?

Yes. At one point Miyamoto was even forced to get a second job at Burger King to cover up the losses.