By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's PS All-Stars, discuss the similarities and differences, and if needed express your displeasure (No trolling allowed)

Tagged games:

So, is it a Brawl clone?

Yes 260 41.73%

No 42 6.74%

Kind of 43 6.90%

Who cares, it'll be fun either was 229 36.76%

I'm disgusted 47 7.54%

Total:621
CGI-Quality said:

I didn't tell you to get over it (though I agree with its sentiments). The names you mentioned (Runa's been a tad more extreme), are people offering their take on the matter. If you don't allow opposing opinions to your topic (especially when the title is just asking to be debated), then why host the subject at all?

I was looking for people to talk about it with, people with similar and diverging opinions who, like Sal for example, were able to challenge me and make me better understand exactly why it was that I found it nearly identical, and what it was exactly that made them different, so as to better understand my sentiment about the game, help others who feel the same talk about it and get it over their shoulders.

Without this kind of thing, we get Youtube clusterf***s, and that's not what anybody wants. Yet the thread gets bashed and discouraged why? Because we're whiners? If ppl think so, why don't they just let us talk about it with civility (as we were doing) and just leave us alone?

I purposefully made this thread not to bother gilgamesh and the many excited fans in the happy thread on the matter, why do people have to now come here and call us whiners? I understand if you're not into the topic you might find this a little absurd, but I'm sorry Runa and others have their place to talk, give us ours.

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:

It's not about being pigeonholed, it's about being consistent and intellectually honest. 

PABR is copying SSB to get more sales, and it's OK.  NSMB is allegedly nerfing their game to get more sales, and it's an abomination?  Not consistent. 

(I wasn't there for the other argument, so if you think the game will be so bad it's not worth your money, fine; but if you're refusing to buy out of protest for denied awesomeness, when you would have bought it if you never knew about what might have been, while still buying PABR, that's kind of nonsensical IMO.) 

FF, I appreciate this. The reason why you're confused is because the topics of NSMB2 was meshed with the current topic of PABR, and the confusion is understandable, we're working off of two value-systems that work for differing purposes, but I'll explain.

The fundamental reason I gave for my displeasure in the early peek at NSMB2 was due to what I percieved as a lack of quality, visible in the lack of detail in the artistic department, and a possible stagnation in gameplay mechanics (apart from the p-wing which I mentioned in the OP, which I was happy about). The star example of my gripe was the pic (with the spider) on the top-right of the 4-shot snap they gave us, as well as the one on the bottom right (with the christmas trees, fushia pipes, sparkles all over the place and golden everything).

I noticed in that specific pic (and the fushia one as well) that I was displeased with a focus on cheesy themes, and a lack of premium treatment for their flagship 20M+ selling game. I saw in that a quest by Nintendo to achieve greater sales, at the expense of quality. Here is where you were confused: I can't say the same about PABR. PABR hints at a quest by Sony to achieve greater sales, but it backs that with an injection of quality. Hence my intellectual integrity remains unshaken, and Rol was too quick to pull the trigger.

Why Rol has yet to see this, I am not sure. I am not one to accuse, but I was called a liar, pegged a whiner (complaining about spiders, OMG), what have you. What I have to point out in him is his outright denial when I bring forth sound thoughts, even after a thorough explanation. It doesn't agress me, but it bothers me a little, kinda like a mosquito biting you every now and then.

happydolphin said:

^We are talking about our gripes, are we not allowed to? Does that make us the problem?

Some of us don't just see the rosey side of life, we find fulfillment in pointing out what bothers us too.

Are such humans not allowed to freely communicate their views to each other and talk about it with others?

The fact that you are blocking us makes you our problem. How you don't see it baffles me.

We haven't been bitching, we've been trying to talk about it, did you see me and Sal talking? He brought up intelligent points, and I respect him for that, even if we come from two completely opposite PoV.

With you, it's always misunderstanding after misunderstanding, why with him I can actually have a debate and not with you?

You're allowed to have gripes, but if you're gonna speak out about something, it's best you actually support your stance with reasoned points, not baseless claims and rampant, focused negativity. 

Yes, and negativity is a bad, bad thing.  Therefore, you are the problem, since negativity begets negativity.  

Again, you're more than welcome to express discontent, but your rationale and behaviour is full of stupidity and hypocrisy. Keep in mind, you created a thread that lasted hundreds of replies, and now you're here bitching about this; evidence points towards you being here for one reason only: to raise a fuss, whine, bitch, and be negative. Given your attitude, behaviour, and perspective, you ARE the problem, and you (amongs others) ARE the wet blanket.  The thread (and the forum at large) would be better without you.  

go cry in a corner.  it'd be more productive. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

CGI-Quality said:

What you aren't understanding is I'm not debating your opinion of the game, I agree Smash Bros is what it looks like. However, I have offered my take on several things and you didn't tackle them, in addition to going back on your word about the game a couple of times.

You are entitled to have this topic, just debate with anyone who's been fair with you.

Okay, I will take your advice. For now I'll just wait until those committed to the topic are ready to talk, wait until the noise is filtered, and then go over the points properly with whoever is interested.

If you don't mind, give me a link to the post you want me to address, I'll do that for you. There's been lots of noise in this thread so sorry if I missed the points you wanted me to talk about.

About changing my mind, remember what I said a few times to the other posters, I am divided on the issue: 1) as a gamer, 2) as a Nintendo fan. One part of me wants the game, and that side has already won, I will buy it day one. The other side was appalled, and it left a sour feeling in my mouth, but I'm over it now. I hope that explains it well enough.

Runa216 said:
happydolphin said:

^We are talking about our gripes, are we not allowed to? Does that make us the problem?

Some of us don't just see the rosey side of life, we find fulfillment in pointing out what bothers us too.

Are such humans not allowed to freely communicate their views to each other and talk about it with others?

The fact that you are blocking us makes you our problem. How you don't see it baffles me.

We haven't been bitching, we've been trying to talk about it, did you see me and Sal talking? He brought up intelligent points, and I respect him for that, even if we come from two completely opposite PoV.

With you, it's always misunderstanding after misunderstanding, why with him I can actually have a debate and not with you?

You're allowed to have gripes, but if you're gonna speak out about something, it's best you actually support your stance with reasoned points, not baseless claims and rampant, focused negativity. 

Yes, and negativity is a bad, bad thing.  Therefore, you are the problem, since negativity begets negativity.  

Again, you're more than welcome to express discontent, but your rationale and behaviour is full of stupidity and hypocrisy. Keep in mind, you created a thread that lasted hundreds of replies, and now you're here bitching about this; evidence points towards you being here for one reason only: to raise a fuss, whine, bitch, and be negative. Given your attitude, behaviour, and perspective, you ARE the problem, and you (amongs others) ARE the wet blanket.  The thread (and the forum at large) would be better without you.  

go cry in a corner.  it'd be more productive. 

Can someone other than me please put this guy back in his place, I've had enough.

Around the Network

Its obviously inspired by SSB, who can blame them, its a fantastic game and like they say imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

I'm really interested to see who's in the game, fingers crossed for ICO and Wander.

I can't wait to see the online gameplay, I'm sure there will be an online mode. It's basically standard for games nowadays, heck even God of War is getting an online mode.

Okay, now we're talking. Clone may not be the right term (not saying it isn't, just saying it might not be), but inspired can't be the right term. The amount of similarities are too high compared to the discrepancies in order to call it inspired. Okay, if it turned out like an HD version of outfoxies that would have been inspired, I agree. 2D, ledge grabbing, that's all fine and in and of itself doesn't make a game similar enough to call it anything more than inspired.

But I mentioned many elements of similarity, too many to consider it only inspired. If we were to call it something else than clone or inspired, what would we call it? To refresh, here were the main elements I found similar, and there are more:

"the height of the jumps, the default number of mid-air jumps, the default attack distance, the effects, the level size ratio, the pummeling physics, the juggling physics, the combo dynamics"

and I'll add here:

The character to level size ratio, 1P 2P icon similarities, the % system, the Super attack animations.

There are discrepancies, we've gone over them:

The special and super systems, you don't get a kill unless you have a super, a different attack-to-defense playstyle due to AP harvesting.

But there are also more similarities and discrepancies to discover. It would be good to continue to list them both objectively. I'll add a table to OP.

There's a difference between senseless whining/insulting, and discussing how people honestly feel about this game. I don't understand the purpose some people here are playing other than trying to start a fight, honestly. Guess that "no trolling allowed" in the title didn't do much.

On the topic, I would've hoped that Sony would've done more with this concept than what this looks like so far; it's honestly hard to tell if it isn't just a Brawl mod. At this point, it's understandable for Sony to find ways to make a good-selling game, but playing such a follow-the-leader without much in the way of innovation or building on the concept wouldn't do much for them other than make them look bad. Not that they already don't at this point...

The crowd that aren't complete gaming enthusiasts are a potent force, and what they perceive matters, as well. If you look like you're doing shameless rip-offs (i.e. what people saw the Move as), you'll get bad press and negative attention. Is this game going to get enough sales to warrant ticking so many gamers off, and reducing their image further to the general public? It's not a gamble I'd take, but who knows?

However, would you honestly rather see Sony build upon this game to make it something (somewhat) different, or would you rather see them go completely down the road of a Smash Bros. rip-off so that you could justifiably complain? It wouldn't surprise me if some honestly would rather see the latter, and that's not really a good thing, is it?

In memory of Topless Avatars Pertaining to Hotness and Titilation (TAPTHAT).

3DS friend code: 5155 - 2983 - 3034

^I'm personally now glad they ripped it off, because I'm over it and can't wait to play it, it looks like a good game, all things said. So some may be in that category, but that's not what we're looking for. We're looking to be objective and get closure more than anything.

CGI-Quality said:

Well I can just tell you what I challenged. Wjhile I agree it'sd Smash Bros inspired, I don't know if "clone" is the term I'd use. This is because I'm seeing a lot of key differences that make it its own thing, (particularly the super move set-up).

Okay, I've added a table to the OP Here is the current version, please take a look:

Similarities:

• The height of the jumps
  • The default number of mid-air jumps (2)
  • Nearly identical ragdoll physics
  • the default attack reach
  • the attack visual effects
  • the level size to character size ratio
  • the pummeling physics
  • the juggling physics
  • the combo dynamics
  • 1P 2P icon similarities
  • the % system
  • the Super attack animations
  • the grab animations

Differences:

• The special and super points and construct
  • you don't get a kill unless you have a super
  • a different attack-to-defense playstyle due to AP harvesting
  • a 3-button attack system (in contrast to 2)