By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's PS All-Stars, discuss the similarities and differences, and if needed express your displeasure (No trolling allowed)

Tagged games:

So, is it a Brawl clone?

Yes 260 41.73%

No 42 6.74%

Kind of 43 6.90%

Who cares, it'll be fun either was 229 36.76%

I'm disgusted 47 7.54%

Total:621
RolStoppable said:
Torillian said:
not doin' it, guy, been through the argument over and over for MNR and LBP Karting already. Not about building bridges, it's about maintaining my sanity.

Smart decision. This happydolphin guy is totally weird and you are actually dealing with an improved version of him when compared to his self from last week. At that time he was complaining about how NSMB2 wasn't the path of awesomeness, but the path of sales. He maintained his stance for about 80-100 posts and then everybody gave up, because it was a lost cause.

In this thread he called PSABR a shameless rip-off, posted about five times and then decided to buy a PS3. This made me pretty angry, because it's such a damn double standard.

I tried to explain it to you, but you wouldn't listen. I said that the issue divides me. At once I see it as shameless plagiarism, at once I see it as an expansion to one of my most beloved games. The gamer in me wants it, the Nintendo fan in me is appalled.

You say I'm afraid of what Sony fans say, but I couldn't care less about their oppression of free thought. As far as it goes for me, I play good games, and games I like. If the PS3 didn't have games I considered good (see currently playing list), I would not have bought it.

Sorry I made you angry, but you have made me many times in the past. At least I make you angry for legitimate reasons, you do it out of spite.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Regardless of your disprovals, his words make a lot of sense. You came to a conclsuion without A. playing the game for yourself and B. watching just a few short minutes of footage. I haven't denied similarities (in fact, I've said from the beginning that I felt Smash Bros was the main inpsiration - which is clearly obvious, not sure why you need someone to confirm that for you), I just can't say either way waht's "exactly" alike or not. I'm not defending the game (although I don't really care how much of a clone it is - I'm still stoked to play it), I've merely defended people's right not to consider it a clone, and since all we have are a few snippets of gameplay, only saw 6 characters, and a few stages, there's not much to go on anyway - but the comparisons to Smash Bros were inevitable.

Nevertheless, it doesn't matter what you think of me, but what Tor said rings with much intelligence, despite you not agreeing with it. Besides, one minute your defending the game, the next complaining about it. 

I have played more hours of Smash than I have played of any other game in my life. I have played countless nights, countless matches of the game, and it does not take much for me to notice a clone.

You use the word inspired. Imagine if when the characters jumped they jumped high 3 times their size, and platforms were higher, ratios were different. That's inspired.

With everything I pointed out this far, the height of the jumps, the default number of mid-air jumps, the default attack distance, the effects, the level size ratio, the pummeling physics, the juggling physics, the combo dynamics, with all these points practically identical to smash as far as variety can allow, this is certainly not an inspiration, but a clone.

You may not care, I might not either anymore. What I do care about though are people not allowing others to mention it, to talk about it, to analyze it, to express their displeasure if needed, to try to understand gamers who don't see it and learn to reason about it, that's what I care about.

This was the place for that, and those just constantly bashing the nature of the thread, the participants, the tone, I just don't enjoy it.

And you're a fighting-game afficionado, you should know pummels, grabs, jump distances & physics, as well as combo style vary greatly from one game to the next. I've played this far mostly Street fighter and Super Smash bros, but I can tell you that the PABR I was expecting was not as much a rip-off.

OKAY, now that I get it I can get over it, and tell people why I'm over it, I can tell them why I'm now looking forward to it. But the way you and Torillian and Runa, as well as Euphoria are approaching this really is not helping at all.

What I thought when I saw the video was, "looks like Peach has put on some weight."

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

In my experience Rol is not a spiteful person. However, he sometimes deliberately antagonizes people -- is that what you meant?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

^Yeah.

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
^Yeah.

Right, so instead of "out of spite" it should be "for the lulz". 

^It's for his lulz. You know me, I'm defensive. I try to take it with a grain of salt, but our friend Rol is very hard to read, and I'm not sure if it's just him bashing me or just for fun and trying to tickle my funny side.

I can't tell. I appreaciate you trying to help though FF.

RolStoppable said:

That's why it is a double standard. You called NSMB2 "the path of sales" and condemned it, yet in the case of PSABR we are looking at an even clearer example of "the path of sales", but apparently that's okay and you have no big problem to buy this game. Your issue with NSMB2 was that it is too kiddy, yet somehow a game like PSABR that is bound to kiddyfy countless Sony characters is okay.

If I don't listen to you, then that's because you lie. Whether they are intentional lies or if it's just you not being able to see the full picture doesn't matter. Your statements do not match your previous actions.

One thing you should consider is that you are continually running into problems with other people on these forums, regardless of what their favorite company is. At some point you should ask yourself if maybe you are the problem and not everyone else. I am not talking about bottom of the barrel posters here, but people whose words are actually valued by a sizeable chunk of the community.

I can explain it all if you just gave me a chance to express myself. I understand that the community values some contributions I make, and I don't just want to piss everybody off and fire at everybody. But you have to understand something about me, I am not someone you can put in a box. The more you try it, the less you'll be able to. I'm not someone who likes to fit in a mold, I run away from that. When other people try to fit me in their clique, I try to stand out because I don't like fitting in. You might see that as my weakness, and maybe it is, but many times it gives me the intellectual freedom I need to be a happy person.

If you give me a second to explain why I am okay with PABR in contrast with NSMB2. When it comes to PABR, the buck they get is by listening to the fans and by making it the best game possible for their consumers, and in so doing attracting legitimate sales. That's where you were right about the path of sales and the path of awesomeness being tied together.

But in the case of NSMB2, as Lord Ciansworth had pointed out, and I understand it's only a theory at this point, Nintendo purposefully held out on making the game more awesome to avoid alienating a share of their buyer base. Is that something I as a gamer want? No, a big big no, it's not what I want. (and granted as was said many times in that thread, and you also well pointed out, maybe it's just an early build, maybe the screens are just giving us a picture and don't tell the whole story, fair enough. In the case of PABR, videos tell alot so I wouldn't buy that kind of excuse) NSMB2 is still an opinion in the making, currently sided on the "Not to buy" aisle, but hopefully once I see it in action I will change my mind. PABR is already a sure buy for me at this point.

Thanks for clarifying and I hope this made sense.

RolStoppable said:
Final-Fan said:
happydolphin said:
^Yeah.

Right, so instead of "out of spite" it should be "for the lulz". 

But it's not "for the lulz". happydolphin has a long history of starting out with fundamentally wrong premises and then adjusting facts to fit the conclusion. Examples include the claim that the NES was a high-end console and 3D Mario games failing to become more popular for every convenient reason you could think of.

I don't understand what you're trying to achieve. FF is trying to make amends between us and you peg me as a juggler in his eyes.

I told you about the NES thing, I meant something else and I corrected it. He wasn't there to know the details, yet you do. You should know better.

As for 3D Mario, that is a very complex debate and I did not juggle with you, I told you my honest thoughts about it, and adjusted as you provided insightful arguments, I added them to my frame of thought. I then with my adjustments explained a more proper view of my earlier thoughts, and it still held together. How criminal is that?

happydolphin said:
RolStoppable said:

That's why it is a double standard. You called NSMB2 "the path of sales" and condemned it, yet in the case of PSABR we are looking at an even clearer example of "the path of sales", but apparently that's okay and you have no big problem to buy this game. Your issue with NSMB2 was that it is too kiddy, yet somehow a game like PSABR that is bound to kiddyfy countless Sony characters is okay.

If I don't listen to you, then that's because you lie. Whether they are intentional lies or if it's just you not being able to see the full picture doesn't matter. Your statements do not match your previous actions.

One thing you should consider is that you are continually running into problems with other people on these forums, regardless of what their favorite company is. At some point you should ask yourself if maybe you are the problem and not everyone else. I am not talking about bottom of the barrel posters here, but people whose words are actually valued by a sizeable chunk of the community.

I can explain it all if you just gave me a chance to express myself. I understand that the community values some contributions I make, and I don't just want to piss everybody off and fire at everybody. But you have to understand something about me, I am not someone you can put in a box. The more you try it, the less you'll be able to. I'm not someone who likes to fit in a mold, I run away from that. When other people try to fit me in their clique, I try to stand out because I don't like fitting in. You might see that as my weakness, and maybe it is, but many times it gives me the intellectual freedom I need to be a happy person.

If you give me a second to explain why I am okay with PABR in contrast with NSMB2. When it comes to PABR, the buck they get is by listening to the fans and by making it the best game possible for their consumers, and in so doing attracting legitimate sales. That's where you were right about the path of sales and the path of awesomeness being tied together.

But in the case of NSMB2, as Lord Ciansworth had pointed out, and I understand it's only a theory at this point, Nintendo purposefully held out on making the game more awesome to avoid alienating a share of their buyer base. Is that something I as a gamer want? No, a big big no, it's not what I want. (and granted as was said many times in that thread, and you also well pointed out, maybe it's just an early build, maybe the screens are just giving us a picture and don't tell the whole story, fair enough. In the case of PABR, videos tell alot so I wouldn't buy that kind of excuse) NSMB2 is still an opinion in the making, currently sided on the "Not to buy" aisle, but hopefully once I see it in action I will change my mind. PABR is already a sure buy for me at this point.

Thanks for clarifying and I hope this made sense.

It's not about being pigeonholed, it's about being consistent and intellectually honest. 

PABR is copying SSB to get more sales, and it's OK.  NSMB is allegedly nerfing their game to get more sales, and it's an abomination?  Not consistent. 

(I wasn't there for the other argument, so if you think the game will be so bad it's not worth your money, fine; but if you're refusing to buy out of protest for denied awesomeness, when you would have bought it if you never knew about what might have been, while still buying PABR, that's kind of nonsensical IMO.)