By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's PS All-Stars, discuss the similarities and differences, and if needed express your displeasure (No trolling allowed)

Tagged games:

So, is it a Brawl clone?

Yes 260 41.73%

No 42 6.74%

Kind of 43 6.90%

Who cares, it'll be fun either was 229 36.76%

I'm disgusted 47 7.54%

Total:621
Signalstar said:
One of the most naive arguments that keeps popping up is that Sony does not have enough memorable characters to make the game worthwhile. Do these people stop to realize that one of the things that makes Smash Bros. so great is its ability to make popular characters from Nintendo's more obscure franchises?

I had no idea who the hell Captain Falcon was before the original Smash Bros. How many people knew who Roy, Ike, or Marth was before they came to Smash Bros. What about Ness? Does anyone actually view the Ice Climbers or Mr. Game & Watch as iconic? No but we know about them now because of Smash Bros. Hell Brawl including Pit helped resurrect the Kid Icarus franchise.

But at the same time you have Mario, Link, Pikachu, Samus, Kirby and others who are truly famous characters in their own right. I think a roster consisting almost entirely of obscure characters would not have had the same strength.

Around the Network

@logic56 Can't believe I actually agree with you on this subject in some degree.

Read my original story on Fictionpress (Shinigami Twin): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2996503/1/Shinigami-Twin 

As well as my other one (Hell's Punishment): http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3085054/1/Hell-s-Punishment

Nintendo Network ID: kingofe3

I will for sure probably be buying this game, I love Smash Bros and well honestly the chance to play something similar online with my PS3 friends sounds like a darn good time.

That being said anyone trying to argue this isn't pretty much 95% the same thing as Smash Bros with a Sony skin are kidding themselves. Thats not a bad thing though Smash Bros is a blast.

@ CGI-Quality

I don't honestly know what people are saying, I litteraly didn't read one post in this thread lol just the OP.

Was just throwing my 2 cents in, honestly I think the game will be super fun awesome, though I'm not sure how I feel about the levels utilizing multiple Sony franchises at the same time. From the gameplay video it kinda seemed too busy and out of place having something like a LBP level and then Buzz just jumping in out of nowhere. But thats just a minor gripe, the gameplay itself looked really fun and should be a good time online as well.

ZaneWane said:
little big plant kart and now this

If you are implying that LittleBigPlanet Karting is a Mario Kart rip-off, I hate to inform you that you are mistaken. LittleBigPlanet Karting is ripping-off Modnation Racers which is a rip-off or Mario Kart.

Get it right!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
amp316 said:
TheKoreanGuy said:
amp316 said:
Yeah, it copied everything including the Wii's graphics.

I honestly am surprised that they didn't make a game more similar to Tekken of Street Fighter since I think that's more along the lines of what most Sony fans would but what do I know?

No I don't want that. How many Tekken or Street Fighter type games do we have today? How many SSB type games do we have today?

FIne,  I can accept that answer and respect it, but do you want a fighter exactly like Smash Bros.? 

Wouldn't you want something a little different?

The problem with your question is that it isn't exactly like SSB. Take, for example, Tekken and an upcoming game, Dead or Alive 5.

Same genre, similar gameplay, but they can still coexist. There are many, many other examples, not just within the fighting genre. Basically the gaming industry has been doing this kind of thing for years. 

Of course, I'm all for ingenuity and originality, but it's at a point for some people where the game shouldn't even exist because of the basic fact that it is borrowing gameplay elements from SSB. If this is the case, then a whole lot of games shouldn't exist either, including Nintendo ones, and that is just wrong.

No one is denying that this game was inspired by SSB and if Superbot could have come up with something entirely different and revolutionary, then more power to them. But the point of this game is purely fanservice and it accomplishes just that. A lot of us thought for the longest time that we'd never see a game like this, but Sony listened and now it's real.

So to answer your question, no I don't want a carbon copy of Super Smash and this isn't that. It has enough similarities and dissimilarities to make it feel familiar and new at the same time. Also its potential roster could truly set it apart from SSB (think of how many similar characters there are within Brawl's roster: Ganon and Capt. Falcon; Mario and Luigi; Ness and Lucas; Fox, Falco, and Wolf). We shouldn't fault DoA if we feel it didn't differentiate itself enough from Tekken.

Well to me its like the heads at Sony wanted to have final, irrefutable proof that they copy Nintendo once and for all, but still without breaching the copyright act. So they came up with this.

I am still trying to piece together the purpose of such actions though.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

Rath said:
Signalstar said:
One of the most naive arguments that keeps popping up is that Sony does not have enough memorable characters to make the game worthwhile. Do these people stop to realize that one of the things that makes Smash Bros. so great is its ability to make popular characters from Nintendo's more obscure franchises?

I had no idea who the hell Captain Falcon was before the original Smash Bros. How many people knew who Roy, Ike, or Marth was before they came to Smash Bros. What about Ness? Does anyone actually view the Ice Climbers or Mr. Game & Watch as iconic? No but we know about them now because of Smash Bros. Hell Brawl including Pit helped resurrect the Kid Icarus franchise.

But at the same time you have Mario, Link, Pikachu, Samus, Kirby and others who are truly famous characters in their own right. I think a roster consisting almost entirely of obscure characters would not have had the same strength.

yea and those characters appeal to nintendo fans because they grew up with them

and it's the same with how Sony characters will appeal to Sony fans because they grew up with them

as a PlayStation/Nintendo fan i can say that Sony's characters appeal to me just as much as mario and all of Nintendo's characters appeal to me

but i see that you said strength so im guessing you are saying that it wont sell the same amount as BRAWL and im sure everybody will agree that this game wont hit the same numbers as brawl especially since this is the 1st game in the series

and its not like Super Smash bros 64 sold like Brawl when it debuted so you need to give the series some time

People don't realize that Smash Bros. is actually a "copy" of Outfoxie. And not only that, why is it that when every other company did this, it wasn't a big deal. But when Sony FINALLY makes their own melee brawler (like fans have been asking for btw), it all of a sudden becomes a big issue.

I don't have any displeasure of their announcement. I more so have displeasure of the "gaming media" and the so called fans

this is smash with a sony skin for sure, they game doesnt look that bad though, (after all smash is an amazing game) what I wonder though is, is this really going to appeal to ps3 gamers? and what about microsoft? master chief battling conker could be somehow awesome...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064