By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I love the Wii doubters

finalsquall said:
Sky Render said:
I doubt the PS3 will last 10 years in the popular marketplace, simply because it has nothing compelling interface-wise to offer over a current competitor, and won't have anything compelling interface-wise to offer over future competitors either. Sony could probably get away with producing the system for that long and get some amount of sales, but as for the system ever really "taking off" the way the PS2 did, the odds are slim to none.

Predicting a fad is a notoriously hard thing to do anyway. Unless you can accurately gauge the staying power of a product, you can't really say when its popularity will fade. So I can show a little sympathy towards the people who are still anti-Wii, if only because they're still struggling with how strong its appeal really is. Not that we're really much more capable, though we do have the upper hand of pretty-darn-accurate week-by-week sales predictions (which most of these authors lack).

I can tell you know nothing about the ps3.1. the interface is not bad... The XMB is great and is more practical than the Blades. 2. The PS3 is an Evolution as is the PSP. It could possibly last longer than 10yrs, in updates and new advances. 3. laugh all you like Wii fans... But the Wii is running fast... It won't be long til the Wii will run out of steam. Not many casuals actually play the Wii all that much. I know a few casuals that play it every now then then... but oh well it's still prints money :P

Both of them ^_^ 

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:
finalsquall said:
Sky Render said:
I doubt the PS3 will last 10 years in the popular marketplace, simply because it has nothing compelling interface-wise to offer over a current competitor, and won't have anything compelling interface-wise to offer over future competitors either. Sony could probably get away with producing the system for that long and get some amount of sales, but as for the system ever really "taking off" the way the PS2 did, the odds are slim to none.

Predicting a fad is a notoriously hard thing to do anyway. Unless you can accurately gauge the staying power of a product, you can't really say when its popularity will fade. So I can show a little sympathy towards the people who are still anti-Wii, if only because they're still struggling with how strong its appeal really is. Not that we're really much more capable, though we do have the upper hand of pretty-darn-accurate week-by-week sales predictions (which most of these authors lack).

I can tell you know nothing about the ps3.1. the interface is not bad... The XMB is great and is more practical than the Blades. 2. The PS3 is an Evolution as is the PSP. It could possibly last longer than 10yrs, in updates and new advances. 3. laugh all you like Wii fans... But the Wii is running fast... It won't be long til the Wii will run out of steam. Not many casuals actually play the Wii all that much. I know a few casuals that play it every now then then... but oh well it's still prints money :P

I know of casuals who play every night, anecdotal evidence is nothing

I've never liked these terms to begin with. "Casual" and "Hardcore".... peh. I've played Halo plenty of times (1,2 and 3; online and off) and got bored to death of its repetitiveness. I've played MMOs, RPGs, RTSs, and a million different flavors of FPSs. Every game genre you can think of, I've played in depth. In fact, I've been playing games since I was 4 (22 now, that's 18 years). Before I could even read I would look at pictures in game magazines to figure out how to beat levels in old NES games. And you know what? I have the most fun playing the Wii. Does that make me a casual player? If it does, you "hardcore" gamers can have your epic games on your HD consoles. I'll stick to my casual fare, thank you very much.

NOTE: I'm not saying PS3 and the 360 don't have quality games on them. There's plenty of games that I think are genius on ALL consoles, and I would own them all had I the money to do so. I'm just sick of the Wii = casual hate that seems so rampant amongst fanboys.

I love threads,in which people post that this thread is unnecessary.
Ignoring is the magic word. ;)

Quality for Life

Bodhesatva said:

This ties precisely into what I was saying: the difference in "value" and "percieved value" is entirely in the sleek interface and ease of use.

The people who are tied up with "value" are usually concerned with how powerful the technology is, and that is, at this point, a side factor. The most important thing is that people find it easy and comfortable to use.

To me, the victory of MP3 player's is the ultimate lesson that somehow some people still haven't gotten; MP3 files are actually a downgrade in audio quality from CDs. Not even "marginal upgrade" but downgrade. However, the added convenience (doesn't skip, doesn't break when falling, much easier to carry while exercising or moving around) and the extremely intuitive interface of the iPod allowed it to eat up the market.

I want people to imagine that situation with games; what if the Wii wasn't the Gamecube 2.5, but was instead the Gamecube 0.5? And it still dominated the market? Because that's precisely what happened with music devices, and by comparison, the Wii's dominance was practically inevitable.

Booooo ... how dare you post something reasonable and insightful!

Really, the reason the Wii is successful is because it's bright white, like all the post candy-colored iMac stuff. 

I keep hearing people brag abouthe blades, or ps3 interface--i am soory but the pointer/ icon interface of teh wii is the best one--its just like my pc--point and click to make selectio--but that is just my opinion

Around the Network
reload92 said:
The Wii's lifetime sells WILL NOT outsell the PS2's lifetime sales, or the PS3's for that matter. Quote me I dare you.

If tomorrow the PS3 doubled its average weekly sales and the Wii's average weekly sales dropped in half it would still be September 5th of 2009 before the PS3 cought up to the Wii.   

Take from that what you will but it does paint a fairly bleak picture of the situation in terms of 1st place for the PS3. That doesn't in any way mean the PS3 is a bad console or that it is doomed. Often people who enterpret this stuff see things a lot different than the companies themselves see it, and the common difference is that a lot of people see this as a zero sum game when it is most certainly not.  Or to put it plainly - Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo can all three win in this console "war" in terms of profits, nobody has to lose for someone to win.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Avinash_Tyagi said:
TurboSvans said:
Gah, so tired of people saying that people "hate" the wii just because they have an oppinion on it's lifetime, I have played the Wii a couple of times and I love it but I still have some doubts on its lifetime, I do think it will go down in sales, but it will still be strong, but it won't be able to hold the marketshare it has at the moment. Atleast that's my prediction. I think we are seeing the start of people moving from PS2 to PS3 right now in Europe and we'll probably see it soon in the US aswell, not saying that it will overtake the wii, but it will definitly be alot closer in marketshare at the end of 08' compared to 07'. I hope Wii keeps up the good sales though, I think the console is great and its nice to see innovation beating preformance for once. I don't see it as a main competetor to the PS3 though, since they, in my opionion don't aim for the same group of customers. Sony would hate it alot more if X360 had the Wiis sales instead of the way its now..

Sorry dude but that theory has no basis in reality, you see Wii targets a much wider demographic, so not only willgamers buy but nongamers, people who care nothing for 360 or PS3, remeber big gamses didn't sell the PS2, it was "shovelware" that sold it

i wouldnt fully agree on that alot of big games did help it sell like GT,GTA,FF,DMC,MGS,TEkken and ofcourse some more

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

finalsquall said:

I own a PS3 -- play Warhawk and UT III on it A LOT, -- but it is not any sort of evolution.  It's merely a more powerful PS2 with online and fixed storage, or a weak computer with HDMI out and Blu-Ray.

Everybody said the PS2 would last 10 years too, and it just well might, because the fact is most consoles do have a serviceable life of 8-10 years or even longer, but that does not change the fact we'll probably see a PS4 within as little as 5 more years. Companies tow the line about a 10 year plan with every console, but we always get the next gen after around 6.

Cell is a microprocessor architecture. It is not some future-proofed magic bullet. Yes, it's powerful.  But that doesn't change the fact that the PS3's processor and GPU are ALREADY old tech (that stuff is soooooo 2006). Engineers are at work right now devising something better and more powerful.

Even using the existing parts, without inventing something groundbreaking and new, Sony could release a Playstation 4 tomorrow many orders of magnitude more powerful than the PS3 just by including multiple Cell processors and a newer GPU, or multiple internal GPUs-as-SLI. At a minimum, Sony needs to get a TV-tuner in the unit so we can start using that power for DVR and get one appliance out of the entertainment center.

And BTW, XMB is counter-intuitive and clumsy once you get a boat load of crap installed into it.

Stop being a fanboy.

Big games don't really help. Look at Gamecube and X-box. They had plenty of high quality titles, excellent titles, RE4 was waaay better than DMC, Halo was much bigger than MGS, ect ect. Hell, Dreamcast was a beast as far as quality goes. But a few big titles alone do not a system make. Shovel ware, marketing and broad appeal do.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

reload92 said:
The Wii's lifetime sells WILL NOT outsell the PS2's lifetime sales, or the PS3's for that matter. Quote me I dare you.

Added to sig. We will see.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]