By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will 360/PS3 catch the Wii in lifetime sales?

Will Wii stay ahead?

Yes, you must be crazy to think otherwise! 86 41.95%

Maybe, could go either way 38 18.54%

No, only 360 will catch up with it 16 7.80%

No, only PS3 will catch up with it 35 17.07%

No, both PS3 and 360 will catch up with it 30 14.63%

Total:205
Pyro as Bill said:
ils411 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
ils411 said:
nope, never. but at least its market share will go down to probably the high 30s percentage. making all those who predicted that the wii will take 50% of the market look stupid and foolish...i wonder where those fools are right now.

Somebody didn't align the launches, or take into account what the Wii would have sold if it wasn't out of stock for 3 holidays.

and the point is? those who want a wii in the past would have already gotten one by now so there goest the "out of stock during holliday" argument. aligning or not, final numbers is what counts and the wii is droping out of the race fast. and market share will also drop.

Sony has yet to release a really slimed down PS3 which I bleieve they will and who knows, Microsoft may have something similar to counter the WiiU.

The way I see it, MS and Sony will both launch re-designed models with massive price drops before the WiiU's launch. Or at least I believe this is the best move they can do to counter the WiiU enough until they can release their true next gen consoles.

The point was that if the Wii was in stock it would have reached 50% and if you align the launches, we still use that qualifier, then Wii did reach 50%.

Your combining of the twins (do we still use the term HD?) reminds everyone of how desperate certain posters were in 2008.

no, the predictions back then were that the wii would end up at 50% when all things were said and done. but it didnt, not by a long shot.

your defending what could have been shows how desperate some still are, including yourself obviously, that the wii should have or could have gotten 50% of the market.

too band its never gonna happen.

Around the Network

I just went with the "Yes, you must be crazy..." option. The rest is not important.

Pyro as Bill said:
ils411 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
ils411 said:
nope, never. but at least its market share will go down to probably the high 30s percentage. making all those who predicted that the wii will take 50% of the market look stupid and foolish...i wonder where those fools are right now.

Somebody didn't align the launches, or take into account what the Wii would have sold if it wasn't out of stock for 3 holidays.

and the point is? those who want a wii in the past would have already gotten one by now so there goest the "out of stock during holliday" argument. aligning or not, final numbers is what counts and the wii is droping out of the race fast. and market share will also drop.

Sony has yet to release a really slimed down PS3 which I bleieve they will and who knows, Microsoft may have something similar to counter the WiiU.

The way I see it, MS and Sony will both launch re-designed models with massive price drops before the WiiU's launch. Or at least I believe this is the best move they can do to counter the WiiU enough until they can release their true next gen consoles.

The point was that if the Wii was in stock it would have reached 50% and if you align the launches, we still use that qualifier, then Wii did reach 50%.

Your combining of the twins (do we still use the term HD?) reminds everyone of how desperate certain posters were in 2008.

But it wasn't, so it didn't. Fact.

As it turns out, all 3 consoles marketshare will end up in the 30% range. I wonder how many more defensive posts we're going to see from you in here slating 'HD fans', this seems to have really riled you up!!

Also what are your opinions on the 360 outselling Wii in the US and UK long term?

ils411 said:

Well, they're still a whole lot smarter than those who predicted that the Wii wouldn't sell at all... Saying that the Wii would end up at 50% is still closer than saying that it would flop...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

ils411 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
ils411 said:

That would probably be the best way to counter the WiiU: a nice redesign and a nice price drop. But didn't MS come out with a new, slimmer Xbox last year? Or was it the year before that?

Around the Network
ils411 said:

I'm here. But in my defense: It looked very likely some years back. Wii was nearing the mark of 50% and the former console-generations say, that if one hardware wins, the most 3rd-party-games come to this console and the competitors have to struggle. But this generation was different. Both PS3 and X360 outsold NES and SNES, something that never before a 'losing' console was able to do. Both sold more than 60 million devices, before the N64 was the best 'losing' console with nearly 33 million sold. This generation was taking a somewhat unusual route.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DanneSandin said:
ils411 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
ils411 said:

That would probably be the best way to counter the WiiU: a nice redesign and a nice price drop. But didn't MS come out with a new, slimmer Xbox last year? Or was it the year before that?

The 360s and the current ps3 design may be significantly smaller than the original designs but they're still huge. think ps2 slim, thats how MS and Sony should try and redesign their consoles or at least reduce the size by 30-40% more. new design, plus price cut and new bundles = illusion of new console.

Where can I see my old posts from 2008-9?

Back then I predicted the wii will go under 40% people said I was crazy

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales

I'm pretty sure PS3 will do over 100 million... so I guess it can outsell the Wii at the end.

PS3 will sell til 2016/2017.

ils411 said:
DanneSandin said:
ils411 said:
Pyro as Bill said:
ils411 said:

The 360s and the current ps3 design may be significantly smaller than the original designs but they're still huge. think ps2 slim, thats how MS and Sony should try and redesign their consoles or at least reduce the size by 30-40% more. new design, plus price cut and new bundles = illusion of new console.

Yeah, if they don't release new console this year (which is very unlikely considering the numbers of PS360 they're selling right now) the best route to go is the release new designs and bundles