By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New iPad and PS Vita specs

To be fair, Sony is beginning to go in that direction.

I think Vita was a stop-gap measure, as they knew that they could release one more 3DS competitor and make some money on it, before going full-on with Android-based gaming. At GDC, they more or less hinted at it in regards to online PSVita games - that they are releasing new kits for Playstation-based games on Android.

I think in 4-5 years, Sony will totally transition to that format, using the PSVita as a jump off point.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

Added an edit, Superchunk. Page 8.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

I know I kinda went on a tangent regarding tabs and the Vita. Imo, it would be a more fair, unfair comparison than phones.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

superchunk said:
brendude13 said:

Neither did Nintendo, I'm sure SONY will be ok with a small loss.

What do you mean by "handhelds"?

Nintendo did actually. The 3DS had a ton of markup. Its losing as much money now as Vita probably is. (my guestimate)

By handhelds I meant smartphones/tablets, sorry.

Hmm, I guess that's true.

I thought you meant smartphones/tablets, and I'm glad, because now I get to make a point . Smartphones and tablets can only offer so many things when it comes to gaming, PS360 games aren't one of them. Without buttons, 3D games are extremely hard and impractical to play, especially for a casual gamer. Smartphones and tablets will always be capped at a certain "level" of gaming, and for some people, that just isn't enough. Those "some people" are the ones that will keep the PS Vita and the 3DS alive, and possibly even make them successful.

I hope this is just guesswork on your behalf, you're starting to worry me.

Solid-Stark said:

Nice specs all around imo. Seems like PSVita has a better CPU and they both tie with the GPU (Assuming iPad has PowerVR SGX543 MP4). iPad takes the total RAM available, and pwns the Vita in screen specs. The only thing the Vita holds is the OLED tech.

I think your not doing a good comparison, superchunk. The Vita is a dedicated handheld, so a "Vita phone line" wouldn't sell anywhere near even PSP levels in a given number of years (Look at other Sony phones), in addition that, imo, people don't go to Gamestop, or any other store, to buy gaming phones (or phones to use for gaming); I mean who says "I'm tired of my DS, I'm gonna go buy an iPad, or G-Nex, or even an iPod Touch.

In regard to it getting outdated, that's the "disadvantage" (if you will call it that) that consoles have. Not just portables but home consoles too. The 3DS will likely be around 4 years from now, and no one is claiming it's outdated because it looks like the Wii (sales would show that); same goes for the Vita.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought a Vita phone, because it would be too expensive to start off with (contract) and then knowing every year after, a newer, "updated tech" Vita phone will keep releasing.Same thing that keeps me from buying a tab. I'm still rocking the first gen ipod touch and I refuse to buy a newer one because a newer will come out the year after (Tab wise, it's specs relative to updates)

Edit:

Pricing. Imo, for what it does, $310 is a good price for a Vita (Wifi + 16gb card). If you want to put it in the same market as tabs, then it can only get compared to an equivalent 16gb tab that's weaker in hardware such as the  $399 Galaxy Tab 8.9. Vita would only seem more enticing now. Keep in mind that Vita will only get cheaper as time goes, and will be supported longer than last years Galaxy Tab.

I think people need to take my arguement of vita-phone as an out of the box type of thinking.

For generations, home consoles were just that, gaming consoles. Nothing more or less. They did none of the same features as PCs at all. However, they provided overall a better gaming experience and that resulted in their rise to the top of gaming.

This gen that all changed. MS and Sony both pushed, not gaming consoles, but media centers with a strong gaming focus. Nintendo tried to continue the same old path, but it also began adding strong media entertainment support towards the end of this life to a lesser extent and we already know from 3DS and WiiU info that Nintendo will continue to move in that directions.

We also have seen the Windows8 previews and its strong integration with Live as well as Xbox360s move to being a Metro style device.. all this points to one thing. MS will strongly continue the push of the gaming console being nothing more than a PC with strong gaming applciations. Sony will also follow suit as they stated that was their goal back in the PS2 days.

Mobile gaming is no different, just its coming from a different angle. At home, gaming consoles are moving to the PC market and dominating due to their traditional place in the front room. However, in the portable world, smartphones and tablets are moving into the gaming space. This is already happening and will be at par with console games by next year easily.

My argument is Sony should have been like MS. MS never entered portable gaming because it new it would move its phones/tablets etc into that market with Windows8. Sony should prempt that move with its own strong Playstation brand by moving gaming console into the phone market. Vita as well as Experia Play starts that but, its far too weak of a move. Play was too low end and has not Playstation library support. Vita should at the very least have Android running along with its Playstation stuff so it could at least be a full tablet like device. But, in reality it should have went full circle and just created the phone I described.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:

Hmm, I guess that's true.

I thought you meant smartphones/tablets, and I'm glad, because now I get to make a point . Smartphones and tablets can only offer so many things when it comes to gaming, PS360 games aren't one of them. Without buttons, 3D games are extremely hard and impractical to play, especially for a casual gamer. Smartphones and tablets will always be capped at a certain "level" of gaming, and for some people, that just isn't enough. Those "some people" are the ones that will keep the PS Vita and the 3DS alive, and possibly even make them successful.

I hope this is just guesswork on your behalf, you're starting to worry me.

Yes, this is definitely all my opinion on how the market will proceed. However, I think a careful look at what is happening point anyone to the same conclusions.

Its true controls are a big difference, but that's precisely what would give a vita-phone a significant advantage. Everyone else woudl have to carry a separate bluetooth controller or other accessory or wholly separate gaming device. My Vita-phone would be a massive advantage. Read my longer reply just above for some more info that I don't want to type here lol.

spurgeonryan said:
Sony has some decent games coming as well though. I saw a thread Saying Monster Hunter and GTA was coming soon to the Vita. That is going to give it a big 3DS like push, just like the 3DS got when it recieved Mario and Monster hunter itself.

Sony vita does look sleek so I can see how it will catch many consumers eyes. Should not have too much problem with the apple product. Even though they are being released so close together.

Sure, some 3rd party games will help... this year. However, consider that Monster Hunter is also no the far more popular 3DS and the last few portable GTA games didnt' do much of anything.

Also, by next year the 3rd party games on 3DS and Vita (for greater %) will be exactly the same on phones/tablets, aside from better controls of course.

superchunk said:
RVDondaPC said:

It would be very difficult to sell a bulky phone with buttons that only has a 5-7 hour battery life, not to mention it would cost $500+ dollars and there are a lot of potential customers that would be unwilling to give up their Iphone or Android phone. Also many of those who would be willing are probably already locked into a long term contract, like most people are now days, so it would take a year or so before they even get a chance to consider buying the device. 

Though it would be convenient to be able to use your Vita to make phone calls on occasions or not having to carry around two devices, having vita as a separate gaming device allows people to leave it in the car or toss it in your back pack or GF's purse and forget about it, as well as leave it at home all together. As with a phone, most people generally want to have it on them at all times, where ever they go. Because of this much smaller phones are more desirable than something the size of a Vita(And probably why Tablets don't bother getting into the phone market). It would be hard to convince someone to carry around a vita in their pocket on a regular basis. 

Sony's bread and butter is selling to gamers and people willing to purchase $30 and $40 dollar gaming experiences atleast a few times a year. If they tried to reach into the Ipad/Iphone/Android market, where games generally cost a few dollars or are even free(That make money on advertisement) they would get very little residual in terms of selling PS VIta games to those people. It's a completely different gaming market. Though I think Sony can sell to those customers it would not be using the Vita as it brings no real value to the majority of those people. 

If Sony wanted to sell a gaming device to the casual audience they would have to make games that are designed to play well with no sound, can be picked up and put down in a short period of time without loss of enjoyment, can be played with friends anywhere, doesn't require a big learning curve or lots of buttons to learn, doesn't have long cut scenes or engaging storylines, among other things I can't think of at the moment. In essence it would be designing a device and games that are exactly the opposite of what the Vita is. 

I do believe it is possible to sell a sucessful gaming phone, but it would have to be completely different from the PS VIta experience. It would be more along the lines of marketing a phone that happens to do games, not a gaming device that does phone calls. The Xperia was a step in the right direction, but it's a hard sell. One of the biggest challanges is convincing people that they are not buying a gaming device, but still selling them on the perks of their games. As cool as it is in theory to the average person to have a gaming phone, only gaming nerds(I mean that as a badge of honor) or children would want to purchase a phone that is a gaming device because of social reasons. A big portion of Apple's sales alone are because of this social positioning in people's minds. People want to be in the Apple club, it's trendy. Pulling out a gaming phone in many situations such as a first date or a board meeting or interview could make many people feel very self conscious. The fact that the Experia looks like a regular Smart phone when closed helps, but having features that can also sell an Experia as a great phone outside of the gaming would be important. Maybe having an amazing camera, or an extremely long battery life, having NFC or whatever new technology is coming out at the time, etc., would help. I don't believe turing the Vita into a phone would solve any of these problems, and would only take away from what it was intended to be. A gaming device that can sell $30 and $40 gaming experiences to gamers.  

You really need to read the thread I linked. All o fyour concerns are discussed to death.

1) Battery life would be no different than phones now or Vita itself. People adapt to their behaviours and if they play constant to kill battery in 5 or 8 hrs (like what would happen on any phone now and like I've seen many family / friend do) then they'll buy chargers for car/work and deal with it.

2) There already very popular large phones. People who are buying it now would still buy it as the phone or wifi version. People who don't mind thicker phone but want gaming and would not want to carry a 2nd device would buy it to. (this part I fit into)

3) Phones currently cost $500 to $600 now. However, that's why there are contracts and you get them from $0 to $200 easily. This is actually a huge blessing for Sony. They could improve the Vita with bigger battery and built in memory all the while selling it for $500 AT A PROFIT to off contract people or far more like contracted people.

4) $30 to $50 games would still exist and they will exist as mobile devices improve and start offereing PS360 style games by next year. However, with digital distribution, the overall cost of games may decrease as well, win-win for all of us.

5) Its not about selling to a casual audience, its about expanding to your core audience who buys home consoles but doesn't buy portables due to not wanting to carry two expensive media devices. Its about hitting the smartphone/tablet market directly with the best of all of Sony's capabilities.

6) The Xperia Play was a pos from day one. It was a low-end Android phone with no game library support. The Vita is exactly what Play should have been.

Slightly larger for better visuals and controls along with proper Playstation brand/games support, all tied together with an amazing Android smartphone.

I read that thread when you first wrote it but I apologize if I forgot the details of it, I will reread it again. 

1. But people don't play graphic intense games for 5 to 8 hours on their phones. They play words with friends or some other low level game for maybe 20 minutes or so at a time. Even if they did people would be afraid of their phone dying, people aren't afraid of their gaming console running out of batteries. The significance of that it that people wont be able to use their Vita phone, like a vita. There are times when they can keep it charging in the car or find a place to charge it, but who wants to be tethered to an outlet? Andif you live in a city like New York city, good luck with even having that option.

2. Can you please tell me what these very popular large phones are? I have the Samsung Galaxy S II which is one of the largest screens on the market and it isn't even close to the bulk of a vita. I'd also like to add that if it was any bigger I'd probably ditch it. It already looks huge in my front pocket when I wear jeans. I have not seen a single person carrying around a bigger phone than me in a very very long time. 

3. Unlike Smart phones which sell for a nice profit though, the VIta sells at a loss or breaks even. So maybe the Vita phone can match the price of a new popular smart phone, but it wont be making money from the sales. It would however price it out of reach for many people that don't want to get into a two year contract on top of $200 or spend $500+ on a Vita Phone without a contract.

4. I don't quite understand this argument. Yes the Vita will still sell $30-$50 games but the market you are seemingly wanting the Vita to get into, the mobile phone market, does not sell $30 to $50 games. People don't want these experiences on their phones, they want a different kind of game. The kind of games I outlined in my post. So to them the Vita library does not add much value.

5. If that is what it's about then that is an extremely tiny niche market. I don't know anyone that really wants to buy a PS Vita and has the money, but wont because they don't want to carry it around while also having a phone in their pocket. I know people that may opt not to bring their portable gaming device out to the bar with them or to work or on other adventures, but it wont prevent them from buying one and carrying it around when they really feel like gaming and it's practical. Kinda like I don't carry my netbook around with me everywhere I go, even though it would be nice to be able to whip it out at anytime and type away, so I have to deal with just using my phone to write a message or go on the web. That doesn't stop me from owning a netbook though, and it doesn't make me wish my phone had a normal sized keyboard and screen attached to it because it's impractical. If anything, carrying it around would be an even bigger issue if the Vita WAS your phone. 

6. I agree the Xperia was a POS. It was poorly executed and poorly marketed.It lacked games and it lacked commitment. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a step in the right direction and a decent idea as to how a gaming phone should be approached. 

I think we should really compare the ipad 3 to the ipad 4, In which , ahh nuts to it this is too stupid even for me

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RVDondaPC said:

I read that thread when you first wrote it but I apologize if I forgot the details of it, I will reread it again. 

1. But people don't play graphic intense games for 5 to 8 hours on their phones. They play words with friends or some other low level game for maybe 20 minutes or so at a time. Even if they did people would be afraid of their phone dying, people aren't afraid of their gaming console running out of batteries. The significance of that it that people wont be able to use their Vita phone, like a vita. There are times when they can keep it charging in the car or find a place to charge it, but who wants to be tethered to an outlet? Andif you live in a city like New York city, good luck with even having that option.

2. Can you please tell me what these very popular large phones are? I have the Samsung Galaxy S II which is one of the largest screens on the market and it isn't even close to the bulk of a vita. I'd also like to add that if it was any bigger I'd probably ditch it. It already looks huge in my front pocket when I wear jeans. I have not seen a single person carrying around a bigger phone than me in a very very long time. 

3. Unlike Smart phones which sell for a nice profit though, the VIta sells at a loss or breaks even. So maybe the Vita phone can match the price of a new popular smart phone, but it wont be making money from the sales. It would however price it out of reach for many people that don't want to get into a two year contract on top of $200 or spend $500+ on a Vita Phone without a contract.

4. I don't quite understand this argument. Yes the Vita will still sell $30-$50 games but the market you are seemingly wanting the Vita to get into, the mobile phone market, does not sell $30 to $50 games. People don't want these experiences on their phones, they want a different kind of game. The kind of games I outlined in my post. So to them the Vita library does not add much value.

5. If that is what it's about then that is an extremely tiny niche market. I don't know anyone that really wants to buy a PS Vita and has the money, but wont because they don't want to carry it around while also having a phone in their pocket. I know people that may opt not to bring their portable gaming device out to the bar with them or to work or on other adventures, but it wont prevent them from buying one and carrying it around when they really feel like gaming and it's practical. Kinda like I don't carry my netbook around with me everywhere I go, even though it would be nice to be able to whip it out at anytime and type away, so I have to deal with just using my phone to write a message or go on the web. That doesn't stop me from owning a netbook though, and it doesn't make me wish my phone had a normal sized keyboard and screen attached to it because it's impractical. If anything, carrying it around would be an even bigger issue if the Vita WAS your phone. 

6. I agree the Xperia was a POS. It was poorly executed and poorly marketed.It lacked games and it lacked commitment. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a step in the right direction and a decent idea as to how a gaming phone should be approached. 

First off you have to get out of the mentality of two different markets. I'm proposing a combination of the two, not a loss of Vita's gaming aspect.

1) I know a TON of people who sped a lot of time of their phones. Overall the battery issue is a non-issue I think. Most people adapt their lifestyle to whatever they want to do. The first LTE phones had horrible battery lives (maybe 12hrs with little use) and guess what, they still sold very well. Additionally, most people, even current 3DS/Vita owners, don't sit on their machines every day all day. Form factor would be a bigger issue than this by far.

2) I agree that form factor of a slider phone would be a bigger issue. However, big phones are selling fine. Tons of phones with screens 4.5" or larger are out without issue. All the current slider phones like the Motorola Droid 1,2, and 3 all do really well as well. The brand new Galaxy Note which is a 5" monster sold over 2million already. Fact is, if they'll carry a phone and a Vita/3DS now, then a greater number will carry one in a combined unit. Then consider how many people take their thin phones and add thick ass cases on it. I don't think a thicker device would be a big factor. Like batteries you have to assume you won't ever please everyone. However, this device would certainly hit a larger market than a Vita or plain Sony phone by themselves.

3) If the Vita was selling like a smartphone it too would be selling for a profit. I don't even understand why you're questioning this and as someone who spends time on Ebay and craigslist selling and buy stuff including my own Galaxy Nexus for $500, there are tons of people out there who out of contract buy phones all day long. Then those who can't afford it will do the phone model on contract when they can for $200 or less, less because like all smartphones the carriers and retailers will subsidize the hell out of it.

4) Why in the world would you think they'd stop selling the Vita/core high end games? Sure there will be the Android market it its games, but the latest and greatest on cart or download will still be priced accordingly. Within a year we'll see a change in the mobile markets. They will start carrying higher end games as the hardware dramatically increase in power. With that the prices won't be much different, it can't. You'll see $40 games here as well and people will buy them since the experience is now comparable. (Just like on PCs) However, it will be more Steam with better sales and potentially even lower prices on games overall due to digital delivery's lower overhead. So Vita woudl have all the low end casual crap as well as all the Vita only high-end products.

5) I am that person, my last thread had a few agree with me. There are tons of Adults who don't want two mobile devices. Sure kids and teens don't care as much, but that is not the largest gaming market. 18-35 year olds are and in that group the greater majority probably have a smartphone and no portable gaming device. This is why Nintendo does so well in handhelds, the largest market that will want to have a portable gaming only device will be under 16. (except Japan of course) I know this is purely opinion and not provable, but from my circumstantial evidence as an adult with adults all day, I see none with gaming devices in their pockets. Yet the very large number of them who I know have gaming consoles, I'm sure a large percentage would consider a gaming phone over a normal phone. You may be just too young to see this in the same level as I do. 

6) I agree and that direction should have been continued with a real Playstation product in Xperia Playstation Vita.