By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New iPad and PS Vita specs

brendude13 said:

SONY definitely have headroom to lower the price of the Vita, as for the games, SONY's 1st party games have never really blown me away and I don't think they will be big on handhelds. 3rd party support is there though, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed, you name it, they will help drive the Vita.

Sony does not have any head room right now on Vita. Once you include all the extra costs beyond materials, its breaking even or slightly losing.

As I stated to another poster, PS360 style games will be on handhelds by next year. Its inevitable.

Around the Network
superchunk said:
Chevinator123 said:
General public:

Psv 300$? that's way too much.
Ipad: 500$? Fair Enough.

lol, but there is a difference.

General Public:

PSV: just games
iPad: DAT LOGO ... camera and video and movies and games and laptop and .... blah blah

Percieved value is far higher. Kinda part of why I'm pushing the idea of Vita should be a smartphone/tablet.

A little fix.

superchunk said:
TomaTito said:

Add the Asus Transformer Infinity to that OP. What a tablet !

http://blog.gsmarena.com/tablet-wars-reloaded-apple-ipad-3-vs-samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-vs-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700t/

Yeah I saw that comparison a few hours ago. I didn't add it or others as the iPad has a more direct comparison due to the exact same CPU/GPU tech being utilized. But yes it does further illustrate my point. Personally I really like that tablet myself.

I've always liked the Transformer's dock (hybrid design), but I didn't know they spruced up the specs that much. Have to be on the look out on what ASUS is up to, specially for the win8 launch.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Nice specs all around imo. Seems like PSVita has a better CPU and they both tie with the GPU (Assuming iPad has PowerVR SGX543 MP4). iPad takes the total RAM available, and pwns the Vita in screen specs. The only thing the Vita holds is the OLED tech.

I think your not doing a good comparison, superchunk. The Vita is a dedicated handheld, so a "Vita phone line" wouldn't sell anywhere near even PSP levels in a given number of years (Look at other Sony phones), in addition that, imo, people don't go to Gamestop, or any other store, to buy gaming phones (or phones to use for gaming); I mean who says "I'm tired of my DS, I'm gonna go buy an iPad, or G-Nex, or even an iPod Touch.

In regard to it getting outdated, that's the "disadvantage" (if you will call it that) that consoles have. Not just portables but home consoles too. The 3DS will likely be around 4 years from now, and no one is claiming it's outdated because it looks like the Wii (sales would show that); same goes for the Vita.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought a Vita phone, because it would be too expensive to start off with (contract) and then knowing every year after, a newer, "updated tech" Vita phone will keep releasing.Same thing that keeps me from buying a tab. I'm still rocking the first gen ipod touch and I refuse to buy a newer one because a newer will come out the year after (Tab wise, it's specs relative to updates)

Edit:

Pricing. Imo, for what it does, $310 is a good price for a Vita (Wifi + 16gb card). If you want to put it in the same market as tabs, then it can only get compared to an equivalent 16gb tab that's weaker in hardware such as the  $399 Galaxy Tab 8.9. Vita would only seem more enticing now. Keep in mind that Vita will only get cheaper as time goes, and will be supported longer than last years Galaxy Tab.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

superchunk said:
brendude13 said:

SONY definitely have headroom to lower the price of the Vita, as for the games, SONY's 1st party games have never really blown me away and I don't think they will be big on handhelds. 3rd party support is there though, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Assassin's Creed, you name it, they will help drive the Vita.

Sony does not have any head room right now on Vita. Once you include all the extra costs beyond materials, its breaking even or slightly losing.

As I stated to another poster, PS360 style games will be on handhelds by next year. Its inevitable.

Neither did Nintendo, I'm sure SONY will be ok with a small loss.

What do you mean by "handhelds"?

Around the Network
RVDondaPC said:

It would be very difficult to sell a bulky phone with buttons that only has a 5-7 hour battery life, not to mention it would cost $500+ dollars and there are a lot of potential customers that would be unwilling to give up their Iphone or Android phone. Also many of those who would be willing are probably already locked into a long term contract, like most people are now days, so it would take a year or so before they even get a chance to consider buying the device. 

Though it would be convenient to be able to use your Vita to make phone calls on occasions or not having to carry around two devices, having vita as a separate gaming device allows people to leave it in the car or toss it in your back pack or GF's purse and forget about it, as well as leave it at home all together. As with a phone, most people generally want to have it on them at all times, where ever they go. Because of this much smaller phones are more desirable than something the size of a Vita(And probably why Tablets don't bother getting into the phone market). It would be hard to convince someone to carry around a vita in their pocket on a regular basis. 

Sony's bread and butter is selling to gamers and people willing to purchase $30 and $40 dollar gaming experiences atleast a few times a year. If they tried to reach into the Ipad/Iphone/Android market, where games generally cost a few dollars or are even free(That make money on advertisement) they would get very little residual in terms of selling PS VIta games to those people. It's a completely different gaming market. Though I think Sony can sell to those customers it would not be using the Vita as it brings no real value to the majority of those people. 

If Sony wanted to sell a gaming device to the casual audience they would have to make games that are designed to play well with no sound, can be picked up and put down in a short period of time without loss of enjoyment, can be played with friends anywhere, doesn't require a big learning curve or lots of buttons to learn, doesn't have long cut scenes or engaging storylines, among other things I can't think of at the moment. In essence it would be designing a device and games that are exactly the opposite of what the Vita is. 

I do believe it is possible to sell a sucessful gaming phone, but it would have to be completely different from the PS VIta experience. It would be more along the lines of marketing a phone that happens to do games, not a gaming device that does phone calls. The Xperia was a step in the right direction, but it's a hard sell. One of the biggest challanges is convincing people that they are not buying a gaming device, but still selling them on the perks of their games. As cool as it is in theory to the average person to have a gaming phone, only gaming nerds(I mean that as a badge of honor) or children would want to purchase a phone that is a gaming device because of social reasons. A big portion of Apple's sales alone are because of this social positioning in people's minds. People want to be in the Apple club, it's trendy. Pulling out a gaming phone in many situations such as a first date or a board meeting or interview could make many people feel very self conscious. The fact that the Experia looks like a regular Smart phone when closed helps, but having features that can also sell an Experia as a great phone outside of the gaming would be important. Maybe having an amazing camera, or an extremely long battery life, having NFC or whatever new technology is coming out at the time, etc., would help. I don't believe turing the Vita into a phone would solve any of these problems, and would only take away from what it was intended to be. A gaming device that can sell $30 and $40 gaming experiences to gamers.  

You really need to read the thread I linked. All o fyour concerns are discussed to death.

1) Battery life would be no different than phones now or Vita itself. People adapt to their behaviours and if they play constant to kill battery in 5 or 8 hrs (like what would happen on any phone now and like I've seen many family / friend do) then they'll buy chargers for car/work and deal with it.

2) There already very popular large phones. People who are buying it now would still buy it as the phone or wifi version. People who don't mind thicker phone but want gaming and would not want to carry a 2nd device would buy it to. (this part I fit into)

3) Phones currently cost $500 to $600 now. However, that's why there are contracts and you get them from $0 to $200 easily. This is actually a huge blessing for Sony. They could improve the Vita with bigger battery and built in memory all the while selling it for $500 AT A PROFIT to off contract people or far more like contracted people.

4) $30 to $50 games would still exist and they will exist as mobile devices improve and start offereing PS360 style games by next year. However, with digital distribution, the overall cost of games may decrease as well, win-win for all of us.

5) Its not about selling to a casual audience, its about expanding to your core audience who buys home consoles but doesn't buy portables due to not wanting to carry two expensive media devices. Its about hitting the smartphone/tablet market directly with the best of all of Sony's capabilities.

6) The Xperia Play was a pos from day one. It was a low-end Android phone with no game library support. The Vita is exactly what Play should have been.

Slightly larger for better visuals and controls along with proper Playstation brand/games support, all tied together with an amazing Android smartphone.

Solid-Stark said:
Nice specs all around imo. Seems like PSVita has a better CPU and they both tie with the GPU (Assuming iPad has PowerVR SGX543 MP4). iPad takes the total RAM available, and pwns the Vita in screen specs. The only thing the Vita holds is the OLED tech.

I think your not doing a good comparison, superchunk. The Vita is a dedicated handheld, so a "Vita phone line" wouldn't sell anywhere near even PSP levels in a given number of years (Look at other Sony phones), in addition that, imo, people don't go to Gamestop, or any other store, to buy gaming phones (or phones to use for gaming); I mean who says "I'm tired of my DS, I'm gonna go buy an iPad, or G-Nex, or even an iPod Touch.

In regard to it getting outdated, that's the "disadvantage" (if you will call it that) that consoles have. Not just portables but home consoles too. The 3DS will likely be around 4 years from now, and no one is claiming it's outdated because it looks like the Wii (sales would show that); same goes for the Vita.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought a Vita phone, because it would be too expensive to start off with (contract) and then knowing every year after, a newer, "updated tech" Vita phone will keep releasing.Same thing that keeps me from buying a tab. I'm still rocking the first gen ipod touch and I refuse to buy a newer one because a newer will come out the year after (Tab wise, it's specs relative to updates)

How is that? Their PPI are not that far off and Vita's screen has better blacks, better contrast, lower energy consume and so on. How does Ipad screen blow the Vita's out of the water?

brendude13 said:
superchunk said:
brendude13 said:

Neither did Nintendo, I'm sure SONY will be ok with a small loss.

What do you mean by "handhelds"?

Nintendo did actually. The 3DS had a ton of markup. Its losing as much money now as Vita probably is. (my guestimate)

By handhelds I meant smartphones/tablets, sorry.

I agree with RVDondaPC there's no point for Sony to push their Portable system in the overcrowded Cellphone market. It will never be the new Android fame or the lastest trendy Apple phone.

They are doing the right thing. They are pushing games on the core audience that are willing to pay 30 $ for games. They know the market and they know how to make good games worth playing. I hate most of my Ipod games and in 2 years of owning it , beside the repetitive infine Blade and the PS2 graphics of Dead Space there is no good not casual games. Please don't start on Gameloft games they are ripoff.

I don't see myself playing without analog stick and buttons in the future, I can't get use to this on my ipod touch.

Finally, peoples talk about the flop in sales for the vita, Will talk about that again next christmas. As for the Ipad why should I compare this is not a gaming machine IMHO.

michael_stutzer said:
Solid-Stark said:

How is that? Their PPI are not that far off and Vita's screen has better blacks, better contrast, lower energy consume and so on. How does Ipad screen blow the Vita's out of the water?

Maybe pwn is an exaggeration, but it's resolution retina display is better. Reread, you even bolded it, I gave credit to the Vita and it's OLED screen but I didn't go into specifics.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)