By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Not including HD-DVD is paying off again

Diomedes1976 said:
Everybody knew the Blu Ray was going to win since it was announced for the PS3 .

I have to agree there which is why I think it was more of a diversion not something MS took seriously.

Around the Network

Sony has lost the last three times it backed a format (Beta, Minidisk and its MP3 player system). So to say that the PS3 meant a win for Blu-Ray was anything but certain.

It does mean though that the PS3 has better long-term value. And that MS is fortunate that it only made the HD-DVD as an add-on, so it can be forgotten like the 32X.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Ickalanda said:
Well HD DVD probably would have won the format war if the 360 included one because there would be more HD DVD players out there than Blu-Ray, the main reason why Blu-Ray is winning right now is because of the PS3 support of it.

Again I agree but there is no way you could have included that drive in 2005 and kept the 360 affordable.  I think is one of those you can't have everything.  360 came out earlier which meant it had to go with tech from 2005 vs the PS3 had a whole year to have more features etc like 7.1 sound and the blue-ray drive etc.  MS went the PS2 route in terms of being the "weaker" system compared to the xbox.  Is funny because this gen is so similar to last.  Not going into details since alot of it is obvious and don't want to derail the thread.

mike_intellivision said:

It does mean though that the PS3 has better long-term value. And that MS is fortunate that it only made the HD-DVD as an add-on, so it can be forgotten like the 32X.

Mike from Morgantown

I have to agree here about the value of the PS3 though that varies from person to person.  The PS3 came out a year later so just like a game that comes out later it should be better.  MS put their cards on the table a year ahead so SONY knew what the 360 had to offer and all they had to do is do better and indeed they did.  You have blu-ray, built in wireless, tons of usb ports, standdard hardrive, 7.1 audio, etc etc.  Only thing the PS3 was missing was games compared to the 360 because there where games for the PS3 but thanks to the head start 360 had and still has a stronger library.  In the end as you mentioned the HD-DVD drive can go the way of the 32x though some people will find things to do with it since it does upscale dvd's which is still the leader and should be alive for couple of more years so is not a complete waste etc. 

I wouldn't say it's paying off. It already paid off, it got them a head start in the market by being able to release the console earlier and more cheaply. If the war is finally decided in favor of Bluray, it only helps the PS3. Even if MS decides to add a Bluray player to the 360, it'll only be for movies, not games.

Also, it would seem like the availability of a Blu-ray player for the 360 would depend on Sony granting MS a license for it, wouldn't it? You think they're going to do that?

Around the Network

Does anyone know if MS are winding down production of the add on drives or are they still churning them out?

Diomedes1976 said:
Everybody knew the Blu Ray was going to win since it was announced for the PS3 .

Agreed.

ferret1603 said:
Does anyone know if MS are winding down production of the add on drives or are they still churning them out?

I say you will see a big clearance sale if more studios jump ship or of toshiba just gives up.  I doubt MS mass produced these puppies so I say they are winding or have stopped unless demand picks up or something.  By the way those drives work on PC's so some may find uses for them there.

Played_Out said:
madskillz said:
@ El Nino

I have always thought that was one of the most attractive aspects of the 360. While it did hamper devs that wanted tons of space for games, no one had a crystal ball and could have predicted that Sony would literally pimp their PS brand to further their Blu Ray dream.

I eventually bought the add-on, but I had a choice. I didn't have to jump into the HD race. And truth be told, I got a steal of a deal and will still be watching HD DVDs when the format dies.

Whoa there. EVERYBODY predicted Sony would pimp the PS brand to further their Blu-Ray dream. That was obvious from the moment BD went into development. I guess you don't read a lot of tech news.

Actually, I write it for a newspaper.

As far as pimping the PS brand, to a point, yes, with the delay of the PS3 to incorporate Blu Ray, but folks thought Sony would still focus heavily on gaming, and later for movies and such. Boy, was I wrong ...

madskillz said:
Played_Out said:
madskillz said:
@ El Nino

I have always thought that was one of the most attractive aspects of the 360. While it did hamper devs that wanted tons of space for games, no one had a crystal ball and could have predicted that Sony would literally pimp their PS brand to further their Blu Ray dream.

I eventually bought the add-on, but I had a choice. I didn't have to jump into the HD race. And truth be told, I got a steal of a deal and will still be watching HD DVDs when the format dies.

Whoa there. EVERYBODY predicted Sony would pimp the PS brand to further their Blu-Ray dream. That was obvious from the moment BD went into development. I guess you don't read a lot of tech news.

Actually, I write it for a newspaper.

As far as pimping the PS brand, to a point, yes, with the delay of the PS3 to incorporate Blu Ray, but folks thought Sony would still focus heavily on gaming, and later for movies and such. Boy, was I wrong ...

What newspaper would that be?