By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Not including HD-DVD is paying off again

coolestguyever said:
Diomedes1976 said:
Everybody knew the Blu Ray was going to win since it was announced for the PS3 .

Agreed.

Disagree

Sony have failed so many times trying to make their own formats. Sony have still won little and lost alot. All they

have won is a small niche market, that has made them bleed money. They have lost  a shit load in killing the 

playstation brand, I realy dont think it was worth it.

Blu ray is still along way from being success, DVD's will easily last another 5 years and the next step will most likely be download/streaming movies. 

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

Around the Network

Sony has lost the last three times it backed a format (Beta, Minidisk and its MP3 player system).

Why do many people always want to neglect Sony's many success stories, like the introduction of the Compact Disc (CD by Sony + Philips) or 3.5 inch diskettes (Sony)?

You can't win all the time, Sony produces products for very competitive markets.

The Blu-Ray Association was founded by Matsushita/Panasonic, Pioneer (Laserdisc, Together with Sony laid much of the technological ground work), Philips (compact cassete/CD), Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung, and Sony!

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

Sony has lost the last three times it backed a format (Beta, Minidisk and its MP3 player system).

Why do many people always want to neglect Sony's many success stories, like the introduction of the Compact Disc (CD by Sony + Philips) or 3.5 inch diskettes (Sony)?

You can't win all the time, Sony produces products for very competitive markets.

The Blu-Ray Association was founded by Matsushita/Panasonic, Pioneer (Laserdisc, Together with Sony laid much of the technological ground work), Philips (compact cassete/CD), Thomson, LG Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, Samsung, and Sony!

I don’t know is there a difference between a open industry standard format and a proprietary one owned by one company or small group of them?

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

phil said:
madskillz said:
Played_Out said:
madskillz said:
@ El Nino

I have always thought that was one of the most attractive aspects of the 360. While it did hamper devs that wanted tons of space for games, no one had a crystal ball and could have predicted that Sony would literally pimp their PS brand to further their Blu Ray dream.

I eventually bought the add-on, but I had a choice. I didn't have to jump into the HD race. And truth be told, I got a steal of a deal and will still be watching HD DVDs when the format dies.

Whoa there. EVERYBODY predicted Sony would pimp the PS brand to further their Blu-Ray dream. That was obvious from the moment BD went into development. I guess you don't read a lot of tech news.

Actually, I write it for a newspaper.

As far as pimping the PS brand, to a point, yes, with the delay of the PS3 to incorporate Blu Ray, but folks thought Sony would still focus heavily on gaming, and later for movies and such. Boy, was I wrong ...

What newspaper would that be?

I am an editor/blogger at The Albuquerque Tribune. I also worked at The Albuquerque Journal, Orlando Sentinel and the Pulitzer Prize winning Sun Herald in Gulfport, Miss. Going into my 12th year of journalism.

MikeB said:

I didn't know SONY was responsible for compact disc or 3.5 inch diskettes.  Basically knowledge could be a reason they are neglected.  Hell I thought the minidisk was SONY's answer to mp3 players which is why they lost that format.  For the most part I think most people know about beta and some about mini disk and very few know about compact disk and 3.5 inch diskettes.  Is easy to see how neglect can happen.

Around the Network

@ misteromar mk4

IMO neglecting too many things, people don't get a clear enough picture of the situation.

HD DVD had been voted down several times by the majority of the DVD forum until Toshiba changed the voting rules, thus empowering and resulting into the Blu-Ray camp which enjoyed majority support from consumer electronics companies and movie studios.

Combine this with the PS3 comming supplied with a Blu-Ray drive by default (also needed to suit the long term ambitions of many bigger games developers) it was clear HD DVD had no oppertunity to win the format war, in a worst case scenario the market would stay devided.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

"Now it is paying off as it looks like HD-DVD is going to be losing the HD format. "

Weird logic. If they had included it they might not loose the war?

The difference between Sony and MS is. MS did go the safe path. Which is not bad. Sony did go full risiko which is not bad either. Different approaches.

MikeB said:

@ misteromar mk4

IMO neglecting too many things, people don't get a clear enough picture of the situation.

HD DVD had been voted down several times by the majority of the DVD forum until Toshiba changed the voting rules, thus empowering and resulting into the Blu-Ray camp which enjoyed majority support from consumer electronics companies and movie studios.

Combine this with the PS3 comming supplied with a Blu-Ray by default (also needed to suit the long term ambitions of many bigger games developers) it was clear HD DVD had no oppertunity to win the format war, in a worst case scenario the market would stay devided.

I see, But wasnt M$ only intention to hamper sony with its blu-ray.

-UBISOFT BOYCOTT!-

@ Kyros

As the XBox 360 did not ship with a HD DVD drive I think there actually was very little risk (although consumer targeted FUD and misinformation may have hurt the PS3 brand in the beginning). Personally I think the main reason why the XBox 360 didn't ship with a HD DVD drive is a technological one, also back in 2005 using this new technology would even have been more expensive, note HD DVD drives shipped for the XBox 360 so far are only half the speed of the PS3's Blu-Ray drive, the PS3's drive is overall slightly faster than the 360 can read dual layer DVDs (with regard to single layer DVDs the 360 is faster, but those games are small enough to fit entirely on the PS3's harddrive).

Look at the PSP, is UMD a benefit to that platform? Sure, nomatter if it died as a movie format or not. If UMD would be successful as a movie format it's only beneficial to the PSP.

Higher capacity discs are crucial for future more demanding PS3 games like MGS4, Killzone 2, FFXIII and beyond to get far more out of the system, so when Blu-Ray is successful as a movie format this only benefits the PS3. If Blu-Ray would have failed as a movie format, which would never have died completely as Sony Pictures would have continued supporting Blu-Ray anyhow, Blu-Ray is still a benefit as a scratch resistant high capacity storage media for games.

PS3 vs 360 sales

Kyros said:
"Now it is paying off as it looks like HD-DVD is going to be losing the HD format. "

Weird logic. If they had included it they might not loose the war?

The difference between Sony and MS is. MS did go the safe path. Which is not bad. Sony did go full risiko which is not bad either. Different approaches.

It was a gamble either way. It was created by Sony, with these greatest hits:

1. BetaMax

2. UMDs

3. Minidisk

4. ATRAC® music format

5. Exploding laptop batteries

6. The infamous PS2 disk read errors

7. Super Audio CDs

8.  key2audio - ok, they dropped it.

Yeah, there are some successes - the Discman, the Walkman, PS brand, but there are some stinkers there as well ...