By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Not including HD-DVD is paying off again

Adding blu-ray to the PS3 won the format war for sony. I doubt they're regretting it at this point.

Around the Network

why everybody forget that back in November 2005 there wasn't ANY HD-DVD movie (first in June 2006: 8 months later) or HD-DVD player (launched by toshiba in April 2006: 6 months later)? MS simply couldn't lauch a console with an HD drive in November 2005...because it didn't exist.

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

Spectrumglr said:
why everybody forget that back in November 2005 there wasn't ANY HD-DVD movie (first in June 2006: 8 months later) or HD-DVD player (launched by toshiba in April 2006: 6 months later)? MS simply couldn't lauch a console with an HD drive in November 2005...because it didn't exist.

Exactly!  So is basically wait until Hd-Dvd was available or release the 360 a year ahead of the PS3 with the current drive at that point.  I would say launching a year earlier has worked out for the best even if it doesn't have the greatest and best technology etc. 

madskillz said:

That's like comparing BMX sales vs. Harley Davidson sales. Yeah, both are bikes, but one has a bit more power, and is current generation vs. something that is purely last-gen, hence why Sony dropped BC, right?

Sony did not drop it, they just don't currently allow it on their lower end model. This is just for profit. The only way they could sell it at that price point, is to force the buyers into PS3 games.

I am sure once the cost drops, they will turn it on again for the current 40 gig models. There is no technical reason they can't.

elnino334 said:

It payed off in 2005 as it allowed the 360 to launch at a more reasonable price and earlier then the PS3. Now it is paying off as it looks like HD-DVD is going to be losing the HD format.

Yet who knows if Microsoft did included the HD DVD from the beginning there wouldn't have all those hardware problem (spining the DVD x12) as well as run more quiet. Thus greater sales. I am sure I'm not the only one who waiting to see if Mircosoft solved it's hardware problems before considering buy an 360.

Around the Network
elnino334 said:
Spectrumglr said:

Exactly!  So is basically wait until Hd-Dvd was available or release the 360 a year ahead of the PS3 with the current drive at that point.  I would say launching a year earlier has worked out for the best even if it doesn't have the greatest and best technology etc. 

It looks now, like Sony will win this time around (vs the 360 anyway). Sales are higher, and the future looks brighter.

So it helped MS get a leg up for a year or two. It allowed them the ability to win a few battles. But in the end, they will lose the war. If it had a built-in HD-DVD, and better build quality, it might have won the war, even if it launched at the same time as the PS3.

@ elnino334

I just don't see why you want to compare the PS2 to the 360 stating the obvious in that the PS2 is profitable. Was there a point there?

Creating a much lower specced PS3 would put the product more in direct competition with the PS2, it would be cheaper yes, it would also be less interesting to many consumers now and especially in the future.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MrMafoo said:
elnino334 said:
Spectrumglr said:

Exactly! So is basically wait until Hd-Dvd was available or release the 360 a year ahead of the PS3 with the current drive at that point. I would say launching a year earlier has worked out for the best even if it doesn't have the greatest and best technology etc.

It looks now, like Sony will win this time around (vs the 360 anyway). Sales are higher, and the future looks brighter.

So it helped MS get a leg up for a year or two. It allowed them the ability to win a few battles. But in the end, they will lose the war. If it had a built-in HD-DVD, and better build quality, it might have won the war, even if it launched at the same time as the PS3.

You do realize that the 360 is currently in the lead, right? And based on the PS3 price point, and the looming price cut from MS, you'd have to be on some serious pimp juice to take the PS3 can overcome that lead anytime soon. I'd rather have a huge lead (7M) and a lower price point, than have to fight hard to try and even come close, and lose money in the process.

Unless MS and Ninny just stop making consoles, this chiseling by Sony into the 360's lead will take at least 10 years to top the 360's lead. 

"How is Microsoft 'heavily involved' in HD DVD?"

Again they are part of the Standard group (which makes them as involved as Panasonic is to BluRay) they were producing a HD-DVD player in the form of the add-on (the best-selling besides Toshiba), they designed big parts of the HD-DVD software (compression, menu interaction etc.). How much more involved can you be if you are not Toshiba?

MrMafoo said:
elnino334 said:
Spectrumglr said:

Exactly! So is basically wait until Hd-Dvd was available or release the 360 a year ahead of the PS3 with the current drive at that point. I would say launching a year earlier has worked out for the best even if it doesn't have the greatest and best technology etc.

oh, yes...higher sales...even if PS3 manages to sell 100k more units each week (almost impossible, but let's suppose) it'd take 1 year and a half to recover the 7.3M gap.

I don't have a crystal sphere but to me at this point winning the console war for Sony is not such an easy task...

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M