By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS Vita to be the number one selling console/handheld in the new gen

easily the best thread I've read in a while. Plus it's great to see Gilgamesh back as well!

Around the Network

In the end only two things sold the PSP: Monster Hunter and Piracy... and Vita has none of that so far.

So, all other conjectures are just that, conjectures.

RolStoppable said:
Zlejedi said:

3rd parties will have the same reason to not support 3DS as they did with Wii - Nintendo itself.

Nintendo will take a huge part of market itself as they always do which means rest of companies will have to compete in crowded space against 3rd party behemoths like Resident or Monster Hunter.

Add to that barely existing digital market and easy porting from consoles to PSV and chances are western devs and smaller japanise companies will choose Vita instead of 3DS.

People think that Japan is the key to handheld success. It was in past gens because west didn't care about handhelds as they were inferior to consoles. Vita now opens possibilities of handheld which can fully accept solutions from home console market.

Also in DS vs PSP - DS had a huge advantage of battery life few times longer than PSP which people many time quoted as a reason to choose DS. That advantage is gone.

The Wii didn't get better third party support, because third parties had the option to do so. While HD games haven't been overly profitable over the course of the seventh generation, third parties could push into this direction, because the games at least sold and Microsoft was giving a lot of money away. In the handheld space, the PSP software market was atrocious, so ignoring the DS wasn't a viable option. Likewise, the PSV has no other system to help it out like the 360 did for the PS3.

Third parties will support the 3DS, because Vita software won't sell. Ports of modern home console games (which will be the majority of Vita games) have been rejected by the Western markets for seven years and that is not going to change. Lose Japan and you lose the world. Western third parties won't mind if the Vita crashes and burns. They won't care about the 3DS either, because they want smartphones to take over.

Battery life was at best a tertiary reason, because games and price always come first. Games were the real advantage the DS had over the PSP. The 3DS is set to repeat that, only to a greater degree this time around, because unlike the DS it can properly run games with 3D gameplay.

There's a small problem with your reasoning

PSV software is selling. And that's with only data from retail and unknown amounts sold through PSN.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

not sure about that but can happen.

Well, I do actually think we can draw from last gen, because it isn't all that different to this one. The 3DS is a more casual friendly handheld and the Vita is more for the core.

If Sony don't cut this year also, the 3DS is just going to grow a bigger lead.

When you think about it, 360 started with a 5m lead against PS3, it grew to 8, and now it's down to 3, the 3DS has a lead of 15m, that's going to grow pretty fast this year, and there is nothing but a price drop to suggest why it's going to start selling above 3DS in such large numbers in the future.

I do think think weekly or yearly marketshare will be more evenly split earlier this gen though, as oppose to the DS dominating the majority of its life.

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

I've said it many times Nintendo has held the handheld crown for far to long the PSP is hear and it's a force to reckon with. What with bringing analog controls to a handheld gaming device, great new multimedia features and some of the top graphics out there it's only a matter of time before it begins to outsell the competition. Price is a little to high for now but as price cut's come sales will explode time after time.

Games like Resident evil and Final fantasy hit in Japan there's no telling how high sales can get, and GTA in Amarica, now finally with portability it's going to be a huge hit. And of course the one and only big game Gran Turismo would be absolute devine in Europe, throw in some Fifa games and we once again we got some big system sellers. 

Now I can see the DS market drying up within a few years, there main seller is the touchscreen and there really isn't much potential there, a lot of complaints of dumbing down and limiting age group, the updated graphics isn't huge and from what we seen from the GC it limited the amount of quality games from other big companies, there's a huge library of games out now can be ported to the PSP with similar graphics, huge potential. And honestly I dunno how long Nintendo can keep up the remakes and sequels to the same games they have, how many more decades are people going to buy basically the same game with updated graphics and a new name of console next to the title, not saying they don't make new IP's but they really should invest more money in it.

Yeh the PSP has a way to go but give it time, soon enough it'll take over, much like the PS2.

Time machines are great.

VGChartz

as much as i love my Vita... but to be honest i don't think Vita will outsell 3DS, if Nintendo didn't cut the 3DS price so soon it would outsell it no doubt

Nintendo cut the price so soon and it exploded and now Vita will never catch up

In reality is it not sure if the Vita still exists in two years.

Lets face the facts:

• The 3DS has a really huge head start and gets all kind of games now
  • Vita launch sales of hardware and software are solid, but nothing to get excited about.
  • Vita has a solid launch in Japan too, but sales are now very low there
  • Vita sold obviously less on launch than psp, the psp is long time dead in US and europe.
  • The 3DS is even stronger than the DS after one year
  • Vita is already dead in Japan.
  • Sony is in a very serious financial crisis. It is even not for sure that Sony still exists in a two years!

Gilgamesh said:

.And honestly I dunno how long Nintendo can keep up the remakes and sequels to the same games they have, how many more decades are people going to buy basically the same game with updated graphics and a new name of console next to the title, not saying they don't make new IP's but they really should invest more money in it.

Yeah, the people buy everything from Nintendo even when the games are almost identical to it's predeccesor. Let's bring Fifa and Call of Duty for Vita, oh wait...

In al seriousness, I really hope Vita does good even when in this generation I'm on Ninty's side but is too early to tell. The graphics are good so it will not age as far as 3DS, but the critical part are (and always will be) the games. 

3DS FC :  4339 - 3326 - 7693. Add me :) Nickname Tin

PSV has the high graphics, which we've already seen these on Ps3/Xbox360 before, it's on a handheld so what? even iPhone Infinity Blade 1/2 look like PSV graphics anyway

3DS has the 3D which improves visuals, and is not found anywhere else, not everyone has a 3D tv/pc and those who have headaches can switch it off, it's simple (although i agree angle is a big limit but still better than wearing glasses)

vision is 3DS strong point this time as PSV is the graphics, which is still vision, so it will be mostly based on what games each system has which is why Nintendo will win with Mario etc games...

i hope the Vita does good beyond launch, because Nintendo needed to call megatons + huge price cut to sell it, so has to pull out the megatons asap since a price cut is not possible, and they have to fight for Japan

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^