By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS Vita to be the number one selling console/handheld in the new gen

Gilgamesh said:

I've said it many times Nintendo has held the handheld crown for far to long the Vita is hear and it's a force to reckon with. What with the perfect controls to a handheld gaming device, great new app features and some of the top graphics out there it's only a matter of time before it begins to outsell the competition. Price is a little to high for now but as price cut's come sales will explode time after time.

Games like Monstrer Hunter, Resident evil and Final fantasy hit in Japan there's no telling how high sales can get, and Call of Duty in Amarica, now finally with the perfect controls and portability it's going to be a huge hit. And of course the one and only big game Gran Turismo would be absolute devine in Europe, throw in some Fifa games and we once again we got some big system sellers. 

Now I can see the 3DS market drying up within a few years, there main seller is the 3D and there really isn't much potential there, a lot of complaints of head aches and limiting age group, the updated graphics isn't huge and from what we seen from the Wii it limited the amount of quality games from other big companies, there's a huge library of games out now can be ported to the PS Vita with similar graphics, huge potential. And honestly I dunno how long Nintendo can keep up the remakes and sequels to the same games they have, how many more decades are people going to buy basically the same game with updated graphics and a new name of console next to the title, not saying they don't make new IP's but they really should invest more money in it.

Yeh the PS Vita has a way to go but give it time, soon enough it'll take over, much like the PS3 many more price cuts left to come.

I hope these are your idea and you are not reporting and article from somewhere!

Switch!!!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
PSV can run all the normal games for portables, but its controls allow it to run home consoles games too offering the same gameplay: Blue Ocean?

Blue Ocean is about different value propositions to position a product in uncontested market space.

What you described also applies to the 3DS, so the PSV is definitely a red ocean product. Besides, the PSV sustains the values of the PSP, another reason why the PSV can't be a blue ocean product. The PSP sustained the values of previous handhelds (better graphics, more buttons), so it wasn't a blue ocean product either. It was built to compete with Nintendo's Gameboy line, after all.

The 3DS is a red ocean product, because it's going after Sony's PSP market.

Surely PSV can run games of the old, Red Ocean, portable market, but it's designed to allow the expansion to a new market that we can't know yet how big (or small) is. Will it be a Blue Ocean? A Blue Lake? A Blue Pond? Time will tell.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Wow... I've heard some great things about you Gilgamesh, but this was disappointing.

Nintendo have the games that made the DS so successful. The Vita has high priced hardware and software that didn't sell to well on the PSP anyway. And people generally don't want home console experiences on the go, so don't count on games like Call of Duty to push sales too much.

Of course it's still too early to tell, but already saying that 3DS will lose is just foolish.

No, not even close.  It comes down to what Nintendo does best, which is mass market appeal.  When you go to buy a game system for your 8 year old, you arent going to buy the one thats seen as the grown ups system.  Vita and 3DS will sell similar,  yet lesser, ammounts as their predecesors because smart phones and tablets have stolen some of their market.  No chance that Vita out sells 3DS, no chance it even out sells PSP. 

Plezbo said:

No, not even close.  It comes down to what Nintendo does best, which is mass market appeal.  When you go to buy a game system for your 8 year old, you arent going to buy the one thats seen as the grown ups system.  Vita and 3DS will sell similar,  yet lesser, ammounts as their predecesors because smart phones and tablets have stolen some of their market.  No chance that Vita out sells 3DS, no chance it even out sells PSP. 

Not this again, smart phones have done nothing to the market, they are totally different, 3ds sales show this, vita has every chance to outsell PSP, it will have better software support.

I think many just repeat what they read from articles about the phone market, yet there is not a single shred of evidence the phone market has impacted gaming handhedls, at all.

Around the Network

Not gonna happen but welcome back Gilgamesh!

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Surely PSV can run games of the old, Red Ocean, portable market, but it's designed to allow the expansion to a new market that we can't know yet how big (or small) is. Will it be a Blue Ocean? A Blue Lake? A Blue Pond? Time will tell.

What would that new market be? What exactly are you refering to?

People wanting to play home console style games also on portables, keeping the same gameplay, including the controls scheme, just on a smaller, lower res screen.
Which was the portable that offered similar games, gameplay and controls of home consoles of its era on a portable, low res device? Oh, yes, the Gameboy. Since then home and portable games grew quite different.

Edit: BTW, haven't you the doubt Gilgamesh is rolling us?   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

VicViper said:
In the end only two things sold the PSP: Monster Hunter and Piracy... and Vita has none of that so far.

So, all other conjectures are just that, conjectures.

If the Vita can't compensate for the huge piracy portion of PSP sales, then I don't see it beating the PSP lifetime.

Like you said, the only way Vita can compete is:

• Another price cut (not happening anytime soon)
  • An exclusive MH (possible)
  • A dedicated Final Fantasy riding off the FFX wave.
I can see some edge gained by Sony off 3rd party support, but even then, with the 3DS doing so incredibly well in Japan as compared to Vita, is that even likely to happen? Do 3rd parties really believe in Sony that much. The past has answered a resounding Yes to that question, so success is still a possibility in Japan, and by extension the rest of the world. But to trounce the 3DS, that would be a monstrous feat.

Considering every store I've visited lately still has plenty Vita's on store shelves, this close to launch, I'd say that's a pretty bad sign. If the thing can't sellout it's initial shipment that's pretty telling IMO. They will need a price cut to compete with the 3DS (even though I don't believe they even really compete for the same market with how different they are).

Sony should pay you.