By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was your Game of the Year in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011?

Tagged games:

Runa216 said:
Michael-5 said:

You made a great selection for mid 90's as well, but....

No River City Ransom? Sim City was pretty epic, but I'd still have given it runner up. It's one of the few NES games I can play.

WOW You really like Final Fantasy...Never been a huge fan, but I'm working through VI and I can see why this is the best of the series. I particularly like the smaller Square and Squaresoft franchises like Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Front Mission, Drakengard, XenoGears, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

Yeah I know, makes it even more baffling how I could loathe 13 and its sequel so much.  

To be fair, one of the rules of being final fantasy fan, is to hate specific titles. 

Around the Network

2007: Pokemon Pearl (I LOVED Pokemon back then.)
2008: Mario Kart Wii
2009: Super Mario Galaxy (This is when I really started to like it.)
2010: Super Mario Galaxy 2/Pokemon HG
2011: The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword/Pokemon Black/FF XIII (I know it came out the year before but I got it in 2011.)

Acevil said:
Runa216 said:
Michael-5 said:

No River City Ransom? Sim City was pretty epic, but I'd still have given it runner up. It's one of the few NES games I can play.

WOW You really like Final Fantasy...Never been a huge fan, but I'm working through VI and I can see why this is the best of the series. I particularly like the smaller Square and Squaresoft franchises like Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Front Mission, Drakengard, XenoGears, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

Yeah I know, makes it even more baffling how I could loathe 13 and its sequel so much.  

To be fair, one of the rules of being final fantasy fan, is to hate specific titles. 

I hate none of them, because I have a heart of gold ^_~.

2007 - Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
2008 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
2009 - Uncharted 2
2010 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Acevil said:
Runa216 said:
Michael-5 said:

Seems that way, but I Was always the one telling others to be gentle, I hated it when everyone I knew was like "Oh I hated 8/9/10/12" and I was like "nuuuuu, those were all great!"  Hell, when I first started playing 13, I was like "I don't know what people hate about this game, It's not all bad."  then as time went on, the bad parts got worse and only one good part shone through.  

then I joined the haters and felt like trash becuase I felt like I was just jumping on the same bandwagon I'd decried for a decade...but no matter how much I tried to like it, I eventually gave in, and as I let that dislike seethe, it turned to hatred and the rest, as they say, is history. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Michael-5 said:

Nope it makes sense. Post SNES there was a noticible change of direction in Final Fantasy quality, and I would even argue a drop in quality (except for FFIX). Post PS2, square has really dropped the ball, not on just Final Fantasy, on everything they developed. The Last Remnant is meh, Dragon Quest Swords and Ininite Undiscovery are okay, FFXIII is a little better, and well... for consoles I would argue that we haven't seen a single AAA Square-Enix title. However DS and PSP have gotten a good share.

Wait...I take that back, Star Ocean is good, and so is Front Mission Evolved, but compared to before, this is nothing.

FFXIII is....automatic Final Fantasy.

Anyway, mid 90's selections, It's more then just JRPG's. Nintendo made a lot of really amazing games back then, most of which have seen staggered quality interations up until Wii. I think every major franchise on the Wii really has done a good job making a memorable experience. Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kart, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, and now XenoBlade. I wish Nintendo just made more software like this, and I especially wish Nintendo would work with Squaresoft to make another proper Mario RPG.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

Nope it makes sense. Post SNES there was a noticible change of direction in Final Fantasy quality, and I would even argue a drop in quality (except for FFIX). Post PS2, square has really dropped the ball, not on just Final Fantasy, on everything they developed. The Last Remnant is meh, Dragon Quest Swords and Ininite Undiscovery are okay, FFXIII is a little better, and well... for consoles I would argue that we haven't seen a single AAA Square-Enix title. However DS and PSP have gotten a good share.

Wait...I take that back, Star Ocean is good, and so is Front Mission Evolved, but compared to before, this is nothing.

Anyway, mid 90's selections, It's more then just JRPG's. Nintendo made a lot of really amazing games back then, most of which have seen staggered quality interations up until Wii. I think every major franchise on the Wii really has done a good job making a memorable experience. Metroid, Mario, Zelda, Smash, Kart, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Fire Emblem, and now XenoBlade. I wish Nintendo just made more software like this, and I especially wish Nintendo would work with Squaresoft to make another proper Mario RPG.

You're my new best friend. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

Runa216 said:
Michael-5 said:

You're my new best friend. 

Not yet...........Now I am. :P

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Michael-5 said:

It's odd to see Metroid Prime 2 (the worst of the trilogy) make your list, but Metroid Prime 1 & 3 didn't. Great Mid-90's. choices.

Well, Metroid Prime was released in the same year as Warcraft III, which is one of the five or so games I'd rank above it.

I prefer Echoes to Corruption. The latter, I feel, is too simple, streamlined, and just generally easy thanks to the pointer controls, the addition of the Hyper Mode, (which is just a bit too easy to abuse the Hell out of) and the abundance of easily obtainable energy tanks.

Some swell choices on your part, too. I've been putting off buying Super Mario RPG for faaar too long.

Michael-5 said:

Not yet...........Now I am. :P

so you know, the 'new best friend' deal was about the Mario RPG thing, I adore that game and wish they'd make a proper sequel.  GET ONE ON THE WIIU AND I'LL BUY IT! 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX