By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was your Game of the Year in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011?

Tagged games:

People making extended lists..........whoa
here is mine jeje

1996: Super Mario 64/ Resident Evil
1997: Goldeneye/ GT
1998: Zelda OOT/ Turok 2
1999: Soul Calibur/ Ogre Battle 64(sorry Snake)
2000: Zelda MM/ Shenmue
2001: GT3/ Conker BFD
2002: Metroid Prime/ Mario Sunshine
2003: RE Zero/ Zelda WW
2004: Metroid Prime 2/ GTA San Andreas
2005: Resident Evil 4/ MGS3 Snake Eater
2006: Zelda TP/ New Mario Bros

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Michael-5 said:

Well you're older then me, I was 7 when Super Mario RPG released, and I beat it by rental as a kid. Didn't buy the game until I was 18 or so, and I when I beat it multiple times, I did it as a kid, over emulator, and then when I got it, multiple times each.

You were 10/11 when SMRPG came out, you were old enough to buy your own games when it came out, and maybe even bought it at kept it. Super Mario RPG to you is like Mario Kart 64 to me in terms of mental awareness (I bought it new, never sold it, and probably put in over 1,000 hours.....no joke, into it over the last 14 years or so, always playing with friends).

Had I been as old as you when it came out, I could easily see myself beating it over a dozen times. It's an excellent game. Same with FFVI, I'm currently working on that (own a GBA copy of the game, but I play the GBA ROM on my phone in my spare time). It reminds me a lot like FFII, but with a deeper, more sophisticated story.

It's a little odd that you play DKC more then Wii, don't you like DKCR? However it's not sad. I probably play as much N64/PS1 (Mario Party 2 and Mario Kart get togethers) as I do Wii as well. Wii has some great games though, and f*** I can't want for XenoBlade. This is my first day 1 buy for the Wii.

Super Mario RPG is probably my 4th favorite game of all time, after Mario Kart 64, Mass Effect 2, and Chrono Trigger, but as ME2 ages, it might fall down a few slots.

Damn man... I missed out on so many great SNES and PS1 RPG's. My Nintendo loyalty really made me miss out on what PS1 had to offer (although I had a PS1, I only played mainstream games like GT, Tony Hawk, and Twisted Metal).

I really don't think 3 years difference is all that much, to be honest.  7-10 is still "public school kid" age, so I don't really think that's an excuse *whips*  No leniency for you!  but either way, I was a huge gamer in the 90's, and my playing habits dwindled sometime in 2003 and stayed lax till like 2008 when I got into gaming again a lot.  I always stayed on top of the events, but most of my gaming has been done in the 90's and the last couple year.  That said, my habits have changed a LOT since then.  I used to play and master every game I played, replaying them time and time again.  almost every game from the 90's that's in my list have at least a dozen full playthroughs under my belt (including games like Final Fantasy VII and the like).  Now I beat a game, soak it in...then move on.  The fact that I beat Donkey Kong Country Returns with 100% (continued playing after I beat it) is a miracle, and Rayman Origins is another one I'm gonna be gunning for 100% in.  Only three games this generation have made me play through them more than once. 

As for the "I play Donkey Kong Country Returns more than Wii games" comment, you misunderstood.  I've put more time and effort into the Donkey Kong Country games on the virtual console than I have ALL my other Wii titles put together.  However, once I got Donkey Kong Country Returns, I played it for like three months before I leant my system to my girlfriend...and haven't got it back since.  She's still playing it and all the goodies I left on it for her to discover (she's new to that kind of gaming, 90% of her activity has been PS2 RPG's).  

but yes, Donkey Kong Country Returns is da bomb giggity.  I would love for them to make a Mario RPG game on 3DS or WiiU.  PReferably 3DS becuase I have one of them and I'm still not sold on WiiU...and given the lackluster second half of that system's life, I doubt I'll be getting one.  (a few gems, but a whole lot of nothing.)  

Okay fine, I didn't get into gaming too heavily until N64. SNES was my sisters, N64 was my first system, and the first games I bought were N64.

It's cool to see a girlfriend play games. I'm slowly pushing my girlfriend down that path with, none other then, Donkey Kong Country Returns. That and helping her with Lost Odyssey and Skyward Sword, and ocassionally a game of Smash/Mario Kart.

PS2 RPG's are a good place to start for your gf. There are some really good ones, and not everyone can appreciate a proper 32/16 bit RPG like you and me.

BTW I don't know if you have a 360, but if you like SNES era JRPG's you should give Lost Odyssey a shot. It's not at the same level as XenoGears or Valkyria Profile, but it's the only HD JRPG that feels properly satisfying to beat. Really feels like a SNES RPG with turn based battle, ring attack, ring assembly (remember old Final Fantasy's and I think in the Tactics series you could make new items by combining old ones? Yea), and just the type of story. If not, the guy developed The Last Story too, so it might be worth it.

P.S. Do you think XenoBlade will make your, much played Wii game list? Assuming you get it back from your girlfriend.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results