By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What was your Game of the Year in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011?

Tagged games:

Runa216 said:

1996: Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars
1995: Chrono Trigger (With credit to Donkey Kong Country 2)
1994: Donkey Kong Country

and before that....I didn't really care. DKC was the first game I got into, and it was the game to get me into video games

I am absolutely adoring some of your mid-90's picks. 

Super NES, best system ever. That's when RPG's were right. I'd have more PS1 JRPG's on my list, but I'm only starting to get into those now (I had a PS1, but wasn't knowledgable about games back in the day).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
yo_john117 said:
2007: Halo 3
2008: Fallout 3
2009: Forza 3
2010: Mass Effect 2
2011: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

You should have gone with

2010: Fable 3
2011: Gears of war 3
2012: Mass Effect 3

You were onto something.

????

Fable is shit...

OH 3's, now I see the trend, but no.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Korppi said:

Since I have abso-fucking-lutely nothing to do with my time:

1991: Super Mario World (Super Castlevania IV)
1992: Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Kirby's Dream Land)
1993: Sonic CD (Kirby's Adventure)
1994: Super Metroid (Sonic & Knuckles)
1995: Chrono Trigger (Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness)
1996: Metal Slug (Super Mario 64/Crash Bandicoot)
1997: Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (Lylat Wars)
1998: Metal Slug 2 (Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped)
1999: Metal Slug X (Crash Team Racing)
2000: Metal Slug 3 (Zeus: Master of Olympus)
2001: Grand Theft Auto III (Jak & Daxter: The Precursor Legacy)
2002: Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (Metroid Prime)
2003: Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (Grand Theft Auto: Vice City)
2004: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal)
2005: Resident Evil 4 (Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves)
2006: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Guild Wars Nightfall)
2007: World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
2008: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Mario Kart Wii)
2009: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (N/A)
2010: Donkey Kong Country Returns (Mega Man 10)
2011: Minecraft (Kirby's Return to Dreamland)

Runner-ups are in brackets, if you didn't figure that out.

Also, I (obviously, since I was born in '96) didn't play each one of these in their respective release years. In fact, I played most of these for the very first time less than three years ago.

Sonic CD was awesome. If I extended my list to 1993 I'd give Sonic CD and Mega Man X a tie.

It's odd to see Metroid Prime 2 (the worst of the trilogy) make your list, but Metroid Prime 1 & 3 didn't. Great Mid-90's. choices.

Michael-5 said:
Runa216 said:

and before that....I didn't really care. DKC was the first game I got into, and it was the game to get me into video games

Super NES, best system ever. That's when RPG's were right. I'd have more PS1 JRPG's on my list, but I'm only starting to get into those now (I had a PS1, but wasn't knowledgable about games back in the day).

I'm convinced we'll never get a string of classics like Link to the Past, Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Final Fantasy VI, and Mario RPG again. (does Zelda count as an RPG?).  There was also stuff like Breath of Fire and Secret of Mana...then the PS1 followed it up immediately thereafter with 4 Final Fantasies (7, 8, 9, and tactics), Xenogears, Suikoden, etc.  

The 90's ruled for RPG's.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Here's a more complete list, going all the way back to the beginning for me. there are earlier games, but my gaming life started with NES, so here ya go:

1985 - Mario Bros.

1986 - The LEgend of Zelda
R-Up - Metroid

1987 - Final Fantasy

1988 - Mega Man 2
R-Up - Super Mario Brothers 3

1989 - Sim City

1990 - Super Mario World

1991 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

1992 - Super Mario Kart

1993 - Mega Man X

1994 - Final Fantasy VI
R-Up - Donkey Kong Country

1995 - Donkey Kong Country 2
R-Up - Mega Man X3

1996 - Super Mario RPG: LEgend of the Seven Stars
R-Up - Donkey Kong Country 3

1997 - Final Fantasy VII

1998 - Pokemon Red/Blue

1999 - Final Fantasy VIII

2000 - Final Fantasy IX
R-Up - N/A

2001 - Final Fantasy X
R-Up - Super Smash Brothers Melee

2002 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
R-Up - Ratchet and Clank, Metroid Prime

2003 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
R-Up - Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando

2004 - Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal
R-Up - Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

2005 - Resident Evil 4
R-Up - Guitar Hero

2006 - Final Fantasy XII
R-Up - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Guitar Hero II

2007 - Portal
R-Up - Rock Band

2008 - Super Smash Brothers Brawl
R-Up - Rock Band 2

2009 - Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
R-Up - Assassin's Creed II

2010 - Red Dead Redemption, Donkey Kong Country Returns (Tie)
R-Up - Rock Band 3

2011 - Portal 2, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (tie)
R-Up - Up for Grabs

You made a great selection for mid 90's as well, but....

No River City Ransom? Sim City was pretty epic, but I'd still have given it runner up. It's one of the few NES games I can play.

WOW You really like Final Fantasy...Never been a huge fan, but I'm working through VI and I can see why this is the best of the series. I particularly like the smaller Square and Squaresoft franchises like Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Front Mission, Drakengard, XenoGears, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

Around the Network

2007: Halo 3
2008: MGS4
2009: Uncharted 2
2010: God of War 3 or Red Dead Redemption i can't decide
2011: Uncharted 3

2007: Mass Effect ... really only quality title for this year aside from maybe Bioshock which has plenty of problems especially in the story

2008: Fallout 3 ... No brainer here really, and it has survived the test of time by being better than New Vegas

2009: Dragon Age Origins ... all I could think of really as this year sucked for gaming

2010: Red Dead Redemption ... Mass Effect 2 would have been GOTY had it not been inferior to the original in every respect. Red Dead was a real surprise for me considering it was Rockstar which is best known for its highly overrated and incredibly bland Grand Theft Auto series

2011: Deus Ex Human Revolution ... Better than all 4 of the other games mentioned by far, a very rare game that is only seen maybe once in a decade or so

Runa216 said:
Michael-5 said:
Runa216 said:

I'm convinced we'll never get a string of classics like Link to the Past, Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Phantasia, Final Fantasy VI, and Mario RPG again. (does Zelda count as an RPG?).  There was also stuff like Breath of Fire and Secret of Mana...then the PS1 followed it up immediately thereafter with 4 Final Fantasies (7, 8, 9, and tactics), Xenogears, Suikoden, etc.  

The 90's ruled for RPG's.  

I never really liked Tales of Phantasia, but I agree with you. Zelda isn't an RPG, and to be fair, Skyward Sword is pretty bad ass.

If we ever get a load of quality JRPG's it's likely to occur on the 3DS. I really liked how Square, Capcom, and Namco remade a lot of their JRPG's for the GBA and DS. GBA, although not as epic as PS1 and SNES, was still pretty awesome with JRPG's. I mean 2 Golden Suns, 2 Fire Emblems, 5 Final Fantasy Remakes, along with a new Tactics game, Lufia, Pokemon, 3 good DBZ RPG's, Onimusha Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Shining Souls, Shining Force, Boktoi, etc.

Anyway we will never see as heavy of a JRPG load on consoles like before, but there will be little bursts now and then. Wii for instance is killing it with XenoBlade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Monster Hunter Tri and Zelda. There are also a few gems on PS360 - Valkyria Chronicles, Tales of ___, Star Ocean, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, etc.

Anyway, after XenoBlade, I'm back to Chrono Cross and my PS1 JRP's LOL. It was a good time.

Michael-5 said:

You made a great selection for mid 90's as well, but....

No River City Ransom? Sim City was pretty epic, but I'd still have given it runner up. It's one of the few NES games I can play.

WOW You really like Final Fantasy...Never been a huge fan, but I'm working through VI and I can see why this is the best of the series. I particularly like the smaller Square and Squaresoft franchises like Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Front Mission, Drakengard, XenoGears, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

Yeah I know, makes it even more baffling how I could loathe 13 and its sequel so much.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2008: Metal Gear Solid 4
2009: Demon's Souls
2010: Donkey Kong Country Returns
2011: Portal 2 so far (but I still have to play Skyward Sword, Arkham City, Dark Souls, Deus Ex)