By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "Wii U won't save Nintendo, phones took 35% of the market"

he still goes on about the Wii U launching too late and that they should have come out with an HD Wii years ago just because he predicted they would. get over it pachter. his and meteorologists jobs are the only ones that can be wrong half the time and still have them.

Around the Network

Michael Pachter cannot be this stupid. I have recently decided he is not a moron he can't be. Fact is Michael has something against Nintendo I do not know why. I could guess he takes bribes I could guess they didn't give him info he wanted. I don't know what Nintendo did to him or didn't do.

But his predictions show he is highly biased and he is purposely misleading investors. The question is why?

Calling those who disagree with him uneducated is hilarious. Ya ya Pachter we all know you have a great education and we do not for the most part. But when your predictions and logic lack common sense education does not matter.

The one thing I agree with is Microsoft is best set for a new generation. The American economies collapse gives them a huge advantage. Microsoft can begin shifting more manufacturing in the US take advantage of Obama and the US governments efforts to give American companies an edge. So Microsoft can make their systems cheaper and they will get tons of help selling it in the US. While the rising yen will make it more and more difficult for Japanese game companies to compete. Japanese systems will become more expensive as time goes on while Microsoft will be able to keep costs lower. The US being the largest market Microsoft will have a massive advantage.

But Pachter seems to be thinking highly optimistically. He has talked about how companies would be foolish to launch their hardware in the current economic conditions globally. lol either Mr.Pachter knows something our Governments don't or he's out of his mind.

Bank of Canada has stated America will never recover financially and the global economy is never going to be the same. Most Governments have forecast the global economy worsening over the next while. While many are even more pessimistic suggesting that the global economy will only continue to collapse over the next 50 years.

Mr.Pachter should a company wait for the economy to improve when almost every government is saying the global economy will never be the same. Or is it bright to get your hardware on the market as fast as possible? If companies can get enough hardware out as the economy worsens they can make money on software.

I would say less graphical power is smart as well. As finances get worse and worse developers will take fewer risks and spend less.

By the way yes Pachter did say Nintendo should launch WiiHD. Pachter is a social digital whore. He is promoting the industry in a major way sometimes logically other times not.

If Nintendo launches at 399$ with sufficient software and a large enough ad campaign it will be a success. 3DS will continue to sell well for another year assuming no major economic collapse occurs prior to Christmas 2012. 2012 is likely the latest any of the three should launch. 2013 is pushing it as resources globally run out as the economy shifts drastically entertainment products like games will struggle to maintain growth.

Of course the entertainment industry has often been sheltered. People would get rid of a lot but entertainment is extremely important. But this is why piracy is so important. As people begin to struggle it is now easier then ever to simply steal the entertainment. In our past economic crisis you couldn't just steal your movies and games.

Nintendo is the second best positioned to launch next generation! Nintendo will succeed this generation though I still think Nintendo will take a loss initially on WiiU and it might not meet Wii's initial sales. However I have a lot of faith that in the long run Nintendo will be better off then they were during the GameCube generation and between it an the last generation.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

i dissagreee with patcher but i hate the deluded mentality of "nintendo is smart , they always find ways , , just you sit there and watch."

you must have forgotten about the N64 and GC.

Nyeguy81 said:
he still goes on about the Wii U launching too late and that they should have come out with an HD Wii years ago just because he predicted they would. get over it pachter. his and meteorologists jobs are the only ones that can be wrong half the time and still have them.

How can people say that with straight face after 2011 Wii sales and first weeks of 2012 ?

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Zlejedi said:
Nyeguy81 said:

How can people say that with straight face after 2011 Wii sales and first weeks of 2012 ?

Because Pachter wanted a Wii HD in 2008? The Wii U is one year late and that's because Nintendo needed to focus on the 3DS (which also launched one year too late) but Pachter was claiming that "the Wii bubble will burst" in 2007 and one year later he insisted the launch of a Wii HD. Even back then people where joking about this saying "yeah when Wii sales go down after 5 years on the market Pachter will claim he was right."

OT: This whole talk about smartphones and "the casuals!" turning their back on Nintendo is based on an entirely wrong view of the market, anyways. Starting with Wii Music Nintendo time and time again failed to develop mass market games for the Wii because they lost track of their original vision which was "growing the market by appealing to new customers". Also after 2009 there simply were no development resources left for the Wii. Obviously the console couldn't sell forever on titles released in 2009 or earlier. Customers noticed the lack of new games and turned their back on the console. But the core of the problem is that Nintendo turned their back on their customers - not the other way around. Instead Nintendo got arrogant and focused on their "core games" again, priced the 3DS ridiculously high and flat out rejected to actively go after their new customers. Instead they thought the mass market would simply buy their products at high prices because "Nintendo is just like Apple!" not noticing how much care Apple puts into their products and how much they focus on the customer. Right now Nintendo is crawling back to their expanded market developing 2D Mario and Brain Training. But the fact remains: Nintendo abandoned their expanded market not the other way around. And you simply can not grow by ignoring customers. It's like Tim Cook entering stage saying "We won't produce new iPhones and iPads anymore. We'll just sell the old ones forever because we don't need to care about our customers. We'll just concentrate on Macs!" And one year later Pachter and his "analyst" friends go crazy: "OMG! Gaming handhelds are eating into the iPhones market! This was totally unexpected! It must be fate! Apple is doomed!"

Around the Network

Where did he say phones took 35% of the market?

Pavolink said:
gameheart said:
No need to respond to the lunatic. Whatever negatives pachter says about nintendo has always meant
good fortunes for them which make me believe the future is definately bright for nintendo

Well, to be fair, he is right about Nintendo's stock and their losses.

He called recently the Wii as a "fad", and becuase of that and Kinect its sales were declining fast. The same with smartphones and tablets against dedicated portable gaming. The point I believe he's forgetting, is that Kinect and smartphones/tablets can be fads as the Wii and many other thousand of things before in this world.

That is like being captain obvious though.  That isn't predicting that is merely stating facts.  That is about the only thing he can do right (repeat factual information) considering he plainly sucks at predicting the video game market.

Wii U won't save Nintendo, and i don't know who is monthly saving you (patcher) of being an unemployed guy, xd

Well that's pretty obvious, i think Wii U in sales will fall between 30 million and SNES sales lifetime.

Well, that text could have some legitimacy if he backed it up with more than "I believe (and feel free to disagree)"

What does Pachter think analysis of the market is? Religion?

I LOVE ICELAND!

Wii U can still, potentially, adress a big part of it`s install base on the casual side and those core gamers who ended up going MS or Sony because Wii just didn`t cut it for them.
Why shouldn`t they come back? As long as Nintendo offers what they want why shouldn`t they give it a chance?

One thing that will stand out the transition of this generation to the next, at least regarding Wii U, is that we won`t see cheap last generation consoles VS expensive (when compared) new generation consoles. Prices have remained high for so long, that the difference in price won`t be as great as it used to be and that may, with the help of backwards compatibility, ease the transition to Wii U.

Wii U not only has a "tablet" like controller to appeal to those who like that type of gaming, but they also have your regular controller, with all the buttons and a screen to appeal to the core and hardcore gamers. How will that not do wonders for Nintendo?

Saying the Wii U is in trouble makes no sense.