By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "Wii U won't save Nintendo, phones took 35% of the market"

Phones aren't real gaming devices. They shouldn't be counted in game/system sales.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Roma said:

what Nintendo is doing now is to capture the core gamers first and then go after the casuals just to lose the "Nintendo is for casuals" image. they will do the same with WiiU even though it will most likely come with a game like Wii Sports

So after the 3DS has been out for a year now, do you feel that Nintendo got rid of their casual image?

The thing is they will never lose any of their images. On top of kiddy there is the new casual and next gen who knows what image they will get :P

But let’s say they lose it, they would still not lose it until they release the WiiU and have lots of hardcore games for it from the start and keep on giving people hardcore games for at least a year before they release more of the casual ever green titles

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

nintendo hasn't been in the market for hardcore gamers since the N64, which is probably what patcher is talking about.
Nintendo won't die off, it will just stay casual.
the hand held market.. well, not sure yet, a huge chunk of it is now in smart phone territory, but there are lots of kids that want a hand held, some adults will want them for those boring times at work or bus rides as well.

that said, patcher is always wrong chances are the wii u sales will be huge. there was a graph lying around somewhere about the ages of people who preferred the wii.. and it was basically a hit with 7-12 year olds, and people over 30.
flopped with teens and 20's, which is the hardcore gaming market.
If i end up getting a wii-u it will be later in the gen, and only if they have some really good classics that are remade and have online play.. give me mario party 1 with online D:

And yet the 65% that remains is bigger than 100% of the mobile gaming market last gen - the 3DS is tracking well ahead of the DS. This is because mobile phones are expanding the audience, not stealing customers from Nintendo or Sony.

scottie said:
And yet the 65% that remains is bigger than 100% of the mobile gaming market last gen - the 3DS is tracking well ahead of the DS. This is because mobile phones are expanding the audience, not stealing customers from Nintendo or Sony.

In Pacter land the world is based on a certain amount of people who buy this stuff so if mobile gaming grows the handheld gaming shrinks.

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
UncleScrooge said:

Because Pachter wanted a Wii HD in 2008? The Wii U is one year late and that's because Nintendo needed to focus on the 3DS (which also launched one year too late) but Pachter was claiming that "the Wii bubble will burst" in 2007 and one year later he insisted the launch of a Wii HD. Even back then people where joking about this saying "yeah when Wii sales go down after 5 years on the market Pachter will claim he was right."

OT: This whole talk about smartphones and "the casuals!" turning their back on Nintendo is based on an entirely wrong view of the market, anyways. Starting with Wii Music Nintendo time and time again failed to develop mass market games for the Wii because they lost track of their original vision which was "growing the market by appealing to new customers". Also after 2009 there simply were no development resources left for the Wii. Obviously the console couldn't sell forever on titles released in 2009 or earlier. Customers noticed the lack of new games and turned their back on the console. But the core of the problem is that Nintendo turned their back on their customers - not the other way around. Instead Nintendo got arrogant and focused on their "core games" again, priced the 3DS ridiculously high and flat out rejected to actively go after their new customers. Instead they thought the mass market would simply buy their products at high prices because "Nintendo is just like Apple!" not noticing how much care Apple puts into their products and how much they focus on the customer. Right now Nintendo is crawling back to their expanded market developing 2D Mario and Brain Training. But the fact remains: Nintendo abandoned their expanded market not the other way around. And you simply can not grow by ignoring customers. It's like Tim Cook entering stage saying "We won't produce new iPhones and iPads anymore. We'll just sell the old ones forever because we don't need to care about our customers. We'll just concentrate on Macs!" And one year later Pachter and his "analyst" friends go crazy: "OMG! Gaming handhelds are eating into the iPhones market! This was totally unexpected! It must be fate! Apple is doomed!"

Great post, especially the bolded part is spot on.

The silliness on the internet has no boundaries, it even took me days to convince Nintendo fans that the release of Wii Play Motion didn't mean that Nintendo was catering to their customers (as in the pesky casual rats).

Just out of curioustiy, what should have NINTY released to cater to their customers. More WiiSPorts,FIt,Party?? Just asking

pitzy272 said:
I like Pachter, whether he's predicting against or for Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo. I always find people that say he's an idiot when he talks about the market/economy quite interesting. However, the worst part is all the people who get so fired up about his predictions. Who cares? Really. Is it really such a big deal that every single time people blow up like he slandered your mother? I thought the freak-out-over-Pachter's-comments thing would've died out a long time ago.

Much love Pach!

Too be fair he has been more wrong than right forever. A broken clock is right at least two times a day, but damn! Has he been right, I will say that i find the meltdowns hilarious. A part of me doesnt want him to stop.

OT: I dont get his obsession with WII HD, if he thought that that would have allowed 3rd party games to be ported over. Then he is crazy, anyone who thinks that is crazy and really has no idea the power difference between Wii and the PS360s. We just would have had Wii games in 720ps instead of 420, sure it would have looked better, but still not as good as the other consoles

The big majority of the users in this site know this guy should not be taken serious, yet every now and then somebody makes up a thread about his crazy analysis.

The big majority of the users in this site know this guy should not be taken serious, yet every now and then somebody makes up a thread about his crazy analysis.

HappySqurriel said:

Michael Pachter works as an analyst for Wedbush Morgan Securities. With how often his "anaysis" is wrong, and the fact that Wedbush Morgan Securities hasn't fired him due to incompetence, it can be safely assumed that he is saying what he is saying because it suits the needs of Wedbush Morgan Securities. While it is unlikely that he is part of a traditional Short and Distort scam, what he is involved in may not be substantially different ...

These were my thoughts as well. I don't know what "Short and Distort" is, but I would imagine that the clients of Wedbrush Morgan would like it if that company were able to influence other companies in their industry, by constantly saying certain things.

I forget, but was Activision supposed to be a major client of Wedbrush?

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.