By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: "Wii U won't save Nintendo, phones took 35% of the market"

Ail said:

Most of you forget that Patcher is first and foremost a stock analyst.

His only job is to provide good stock recommandations...

Criticizing Nintendo and getting out of it is probably the best stock recommandations that was ever made half way through his gen.( missing the original boom was bad, but when you look at the flop that followed on the stock market, being out of Nintendo for the whole gen wasn't such a bad move..)

The whole gen he has been behind Activision too and that was a good stock pick too...

Stop looking at his recommandations through your fan eyes and you will see things differently.

If most of you fans had put all your money in Nintendo 4 years ago when you kept arguing it was the best gaming company in the world, most of you would be living in the street right now.........

From a financial point of view, I totally agree with him, getting into Nintendo right now, even at the current low price is a huge risk....

If you disagree with him, go buy Nintendo stock and we'll see 4 years from now, who is right and who is wrong...

Right now, whatever your console is ( and I am a PS3 fan), the stock to be in is Microsoft, not Sony or Nintendo. 

PS : and stop already with the third party conspiracy. It's your job as a hardware maker to ensure people develop for your hardware, if they don't , you did something wrong, not them.  It's like blaming every software company when noone was developing for the Mac in the 90s...

The third party conspiracy does exist. Explain the constant goal-post moving, or the downright bone-headed decisions, the ludicrous "test" games, all sorts of stuff that never really happened on any other market-leading console.

Also Pachter is indirectly paid by Activision. (They are a client of Wedbrush Morgan), so of course he's going to stump for them.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

Maybe he should start to sell "farts in a jar" it will be much more credible and analytic then!

A fart is a fart!

Switch!!!

You don't buy stock when something is at a peak which is record breaking as then it's common sense you'll lose money this is what has happened at Sony, with the Wii stocks were low because of the GC's performance so when the blue ocean strategy worked anyone with stock at the time made a tonne of money as no one saw the Wii's success coming. As sales approached 90m ofcourse things were going to slow down you'll see the same thing with Kinect when that slows down, as far as Pachter goes a man who questions NPDs numbers because they prove him wrong pretty much shows the wavelength he's on, he says Nintendo will never be profitable again yet it was revealed at Nintendo's investers meeting the 3DS will start selling for a profit again this year.

To me it just looks like Pachter is upset over something that he's read on a forum or site and reacted angrily as a number of things he posted don'r really add up, I have a feeling what he posted is going to come back to haunt him in the same manner the Gamspot's april fools analyst jibe did.

Mr Khan said:
Ail said:

Most of you forget that Patcher is first and foremost a stock analyst.

His only job is to provide good stock recommandations...

Criticizing Nintendo and getting out of it is probably the best stock recommandations that was ever made half way through his gen.( missing the original boom was bad, but when you look at the flop that followed on the stock market, being out of Nintendo for the whole gen wasn't such a bad move..)

The whole gen he has been behind Activision too and that was a good stock pick too...

Stop looking at his recommandations through your fan eyes and you will see things differently.

If most of you fans had put all your money in Nintendo 4 years ago when you kept arguing it was the best gaming company in the world, most of you would be living in the street right now.........

From a financial point of view, I totally agree with him, getting into Nintendo right now, even at the current low price is a huge risk....

If you disagree with him, go buy Nintendo stock and we'll see 4 years from now, who is right and who is wrong...

Right now, whatever your console is ( and I am a PS3 fan), the stock to be in is Microsoft, not Sony or Nintendo. 

PS : and stop already with the third party conspiracy. It's your job as a hardware maker to ensure people develop for your hardware, if they don't , you did something wrong, not them.  It's like blaming every software company when noone was developing for the Mac in the 90s...

The third party conspiracy does exist. Explain the constant goal-post moving, or the downright bone-headed decisions, the ludicrous "test" games, all sorts of stuff that never really happened on any other market-leading console.

Also Pachter is indirectly paid by Activision. (They are a client of Wedbrush Morgan), so of course he's going to stump for them.

We also never had a market leader that hardware was so far behind the competition. If you dont think that plays a factor in some of the games not being released on Wii, then you might want to really think about it

oniyide said:

We also never had a market leader that hardware was so far behind the competition. If you dont think that plays a factor in some of the games not being released on Wii, then you might want to really think about it

Anyone who denies that this had an influence on company decisions is a turd. But, it isn't the be all end all. If graphics don't cut it, EVEN THEN, devs should support the market leader no matter what.

Especially when graphics don't define games. Art direction, physics, and all shouldn't be antic, but Wii gen is perfectly suitable to make an appealing game, minus the extra photo-realism. Granted you will lose some features (draw distance, increased on-screen characters, processor-intensive AI), but what you spare your resources on, you can dedicate to even more important tasks and features, so long as the physics and graphics aren't broken.

Around the Network
blkfish92 said:

Phones aren't real gaming devices. They shouldn't be counted in game/system sales.

That's why the aren't counted on this site, as far as I know.

happydolphin said:
oniyide said:

Anyone who denies that this had an influence on company decisions is a turd. But, it isn't the be all end all. If graphics don't cut it, EVEN THEN, devs should support the market leader no matter what.

Especially when graphics don't define games. Art direction, physics, and all shouldn't be antic, but Wii gen is perfectly suitable to make an appealing game, minus the extra photo-realism. Granted you will lose some features (draw distance, increased on-screen characters, processor-intensive AI), but what you spare your resources on, you can dedicate to even more important tasks and features, so long as the physics and graphics aren't broken.

Absouletly, but I would challenge that and say that they DID support it, there are more Wii games released than that others. Now they might not be the games that the forum dwellers want, but I think its crazy to believe that 3rd parties were NOT putting out games on the system that simply isnt true. And what isnt true is that there is some plan to conspire against Ninty, like Capcom, EA, UBi, Sega etc gather in some Legion of Doom hideout and plot on Ninty, thats ridiculous especially considering the support DS got and even the consoles prior.

graphics dont define games, but hardware does, and thats th problem. The Wii hardware was already far outdated by the time it had released. YOu mention resources but you still need powerful hardware to run said resources. I find it mind boggling when some people say why they have no GTA4 or Skyrim on Wii. THese people obviously are just trolling, dont have a HD or PC system and understands how much more advanced those games are than anything Wii is capable or just flat out stupid.

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:
Mr Khan said:

The DS vs. PSP situation was the same, but had a different outcome.

the difference between the power of DS and PSP isnt anywhere near as great as the difference between Wii and PS360, not even close. ANd the PSP still got pretty good support in of itself, in ALL genres.

HappySqurriel said:
leper-apostle said:

One gen has ZERo to do with the next Ask the N64.. Sony put their bets on Bluray and it cost them market share and missing the holiday season its first year., sony is more then a games company.....

One generation has a ton to do with the next ...

People buy a console early on based almost entirely on expectations which are heavily influenced by how the console manufacturer did in the previous generation. One of the core reasons why Sega was so unsuccessful with the Dreamcast was because of the damage done with the Sega Saturn, Sega CD and 32X.

With the PS3 in particular, the primary reason it performed so well was because of Sony's track record with the PS2. Had Microsoft released a system that was identical to the PS3, and Sony released a system that was identical to the XBox 360, it is highly likely that Microsoft's system would have flopped while Sony would be competitive with the Wii for the best selling system this generation.

Plus, when the system fucks up on reliability the consumer is more likely just to stick with that system since they already heavily invested in games, controllers, etc for that system.  I've seen it plenty of times where 360 owners just sucked it up and got another 360 just because they already had all the other stuff.  So once you get the consumer to buy a system you usually can lock them into that system the entire gen (or at least continue to get support from them) unless they have a change of heart (which few usually do even when the company gives them good enough reason to).

Snesboy said:
blkfish92 said:

Phones aren't real gaming devices. They shouldn't be counted in game/system sales.

That's why the aren't counted on this site, as far as I know.

I pray to any God that they never do.  The day VGC starts tracking phones would be the day the site dies.  Kind of like Don McLean - American Pie...