By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Music Discussion - Should album prices be reduced?

Should album prices be reduced?

Yes, at £5 I would buy a lot more. 21 60.00%

No. 4 11.43%

Who gives a shit? Illegal downloading FTW! 10 28.57%

Total:35

I was just looking through iTunes and saw lots of albums which I would want to buy, but I can't really justify spending £7.99 to £9.99 on an album. I think album sales should be reduced to £5. This would increase demand hugely as I know lots of other people in my position, and the record companies would make more money, as I think they are currently operating behind the price/quantity equilibrium. Oh, and I can't illegally download stuff, as every time I do I get a shitload of viruses. So, what do YOU think? Should album prices be reduced to £5?

Around the Network

Try Amazon and not blahtunes.

sethnintendo said:

Even if amazon is cheaper, I mean should album prices be reduced generally, as in physical and all digital copies. Like dropping the base level to £5 for all albums, with no variance among different outlets.

5Ls is like $10 right? that sounds fair... in the US last time i bought a CD it was something like $20, absurd since only 1-2 songs are good.
Illegal downloading for me, but only because im not a music person. i use an ancient device called a radio more then my Ipod ( not even sure where it is). I know if i was a music nut i wouldn't pay more then $10 for an entire album.

man-bear-pig said:
sethnintendo said:

Even if amazon is cheaper, I mean should album prices be reduced generally, as in physical and all digital copies. Like dropping the base level to £5 for all albums, with no variance among different outlets.

Sounds like a nice idea in theory but that would hurt musicians that actually release a "double cd" for their album.  Not too sure if it is often now but it wasn't too uncommon awhile ago.  While in theory a double cd album is just 20-40 songs or so it is still more content than a album with only 10-20 songs considering we are mainly talking about digital copies now.  I would gladly pay 15-20 for something like Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.  However, very few bands can pump out that many songs of high quality for a single album now.

Around the Network

I don't know if they should be but I would definitely buy a lot more music if it was cheaper.

Try buying an album CD in Japan. Every darn new release costs 3000 Yen here = about £24!
So I agree, albums should be cheaper! Especially in Japan.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

I remember when record companies used to rape customers with $15.99-$18.99 albums with 95% of the profit going to the company and not the artist. $9.99 or less for an album isn't so bad to me, but I'd definitely take more risks in buying albums from new artists if the price was say $5.99 or lower.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

The last CD I bought about 2 weeks ago cost $11 and had 12 songs on it. Win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Digital copies should be a lot cheaper than physical copies. Digital copies remove storage and distribution costs. It does not make sense when there is not much of a difference between digital and physical albums in terms of price. Digital downloads make a lot more profits for the companies involved. Digital downloads eliminate second hand sales.