By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII-2 gets 5.4 on Gamrreview - how is that possible?

Tagged games:

Michelasso said:

It isn't just about graphics and presentation.Which are excellent as the reviewer admit himself (gorgeous visuals). It is that all FF games have great visuasl, good music, a long enough story, a great environment, a good battle system. Any game always had at least one purposely annoyngly funny character. Any game had a battle system that no matter what could be played just holding the X button 90-95% of times (doing that now with FF VI. Seriously, how boring). It is mostly a matter of hitting and sometime healing. Then there are the bosses and it gets a different story. All RPG elements are there, and FF XIII-2 is even more complex than other adding all the monsters. Everything fit together and plays SMOOTHLY, without glitches, hic-ups, nroken cameras or controls because of the excellent quality of the impementation and also being fun. More for some than others. How can a reviewer end up trashing a game like this? I am not saying everyone should give an 80, 90 or even 100. But if one doesn't like the game it still can't go below 70.

Now I read that also EDGE gave a 5/10. Well, those are the same jerks that gave FF X a 6/10!!! To FF X, probably the best FF game ever!! Lowering the Metacritic score. Doesn't anyone see that people like that should get another job? I want a mechanism for reviewing the reviewers then. These people have no rights to have their biased OPINION counted as a professional one. 

This is still nonsense. You can't go below a 70, why? If the game isn't fun to play then why should it be above a 70? Of the points you made the game has great visuals, a long but truly awful story, awful music and an okay battle system but far too easy. The game plays smoothly? So? If the game isn't good then it playing smoothly doesn't somehow make it fun. 

You don't seem to understand what reviews are. They aren't a review of technical aspects, they are a review of the product as a whole. You will see that in reviews FF13-2 scores reasonably well for it's technical side, but if it isn't a good experience then it really doesn't matter. I again point out that under your logic you would HAVE to give 70/100 to a game that had good graphics, was long and wasn't broken even if there was no story and no gameplay. 

Oh also FF13-2 I would say does have a broken camera. Worst camera of any Jrpg I have ever played. Trying to rapidly spin it to handle the random encounters or look around in small areas is a total nightmare. It snaps to behind Noel far too quickly and in close areas constantly fights you to try and force you to look straight ahead.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Khuutra said:

Publications are not required to have games reviewed by similar reviewers with similar tastes. I've argued this with Kantor before: it's not one of the requirements for a good publication. Uniformity is not necessary.

True, but if a publication wants to appear as a credible objective source; one actually worth reading, then they should appear both credible and objective; which they very obviously do not in this case.

When you have review standards like the ones displayed here, scores and reviews become completely meaningless; ultimately it undermines the purpose of the review section.

Reviews do not need to be objective.

Tell me: what is the purpose of the review section?

Rob-Ot said:
I'm sorry but FFX deserves that 6/10

I'm glad someone back then realised how mediocre the game really was.

At least you're consistent, considering that FFX and FFXIII are almost identical in structure and pacing. I don't mind if people don't like a game as long as they explain their reasons and their opinions are consistant. We obviously have different expectation and tastes in gaming, I'm enjoying XIII-2 a lot less than XIII.

brendude13 said:
Rob-Ot said:

At least you're consistent, considering that FFX and FFXIII are almost identical in structure and pacing. I don't mind if people don't like a game as long as they explain their reasons and their opinions are consistant. We obviously have different expectation and tastes in gaming, I'm enjoying XIII-2 a lot less than XIII.

I would say FF10 is about 8/10. i can agree with a 6/10 however, since some of the presentation levels are poor. like the Tidus Yuna laughing scene. i can forgive those presentation levels because that was the first time Square used voice acting for FF.

structure and pacing i think FF13 is extremely poor. FF10 still had its moments, FF13 ended up wasting 6 hours of cutscenes for teenage tantrums rather than exploring the world mythology. FF10 did have a lot of cutscenes a fair amount more than FF12, but they did explain the story and the world mythology in one game.

FF13 was designed to be part of a compilation which is why the story progressed no where. FF10's story came to a conclusion and went into a lot of depth in the space of the game.

Come on guys, this is getting a bit ridiculous. I can understand disagreeing with the score and/or the review itself, but there's a lot of unneeded hate going around and I really don't think that's fair to myself, to VGChartz/GamrReview, or yourselves because it just makes you look blind and petty.

I know there's a rule against the F-word on this forum (and I Don't mean Fuck), but seriously guys, your bias is showing and it makes a lot of people hard to take seriously.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Come on guys, this is getting a bit ridiculous. I can understand disagreeing with the score and/or the review itself, but there's a lot of unneeded hate going around and I really don't think that's fair to myself, to VGChartz/GamrReview, or yourselves because it just makes you look blind and petty.

I know there's a rule against the F-word on this forum (and I Don't mean Fuck), but seriously guys, your bias is showing and it makes a lot of people hard to take seriously.

I don't have a problem with you (just to clarify, especially with how much we clashed in the past). I still think they should have chose a different person for the review and that your opinions on FFXIII are too extreme, but you explain your opinions thoroughly, and like I said in my post above, they're consistent.

A203D said:
brendude13 said:
Rob-Ot said:

I would say FF10 is about 8/10. i can agree with a 6/10 however, since some of the presentation levels are poor. like the Tidus Yuna laughing scene. i can forgive those presentation levels because that was the first time Square used voice acting for FF.

structure and pacing i think FF13 is extremely poor. FF10 still had its moments, FF13 ended up wasting 6 hours of cutscenes for teenage tantrums rather than exploring the world mythology. FF10 did have a lot of cutscenes a fair amount more than FF12, but they did explain the story and the world mythology in one game.

FF13 was designed to be part of a compilation which is why the story progressed no where. FF10's story came to a conclusion and went into a lot of depth in the space of the game.

I understand your point, but I still don't agree with what you said.

I thought Final Fantasy XIII had great mythology, not mythology that was apparently tucked away in the datalog, but mythology that was shown in the cutscenes and occasionally even gameplay sections (like Gran Pulse). I agree with you that there was far too much melodrama, situations were made more complicated than they needed to be and the basic plot didn't have a great conclusion, but Final Fantasy X was far from perfect. The well acted cutscenes, huge variety of environments, tense atmosphere and interesting mythology more than made up for its flaws in my opinion. I don't know if this should be linked to the plot, but in Final Fantasy XIII, I always felt like I knew what I needed to do and that I had a drive, and I loved that, even if it was just "we run the other way". The lack of drive and meaning is what's killing FFXIII-2 for me at the moment.

By the way, I'm not saying those aspects I mentioned about FFXIII were great, I'm just trying to point out similarities between FFXIII and FFX, and that people who trash Final Fantasy XIII and say that Final Fantasy X was "the last good Final Fantasy" really piss me off.

Anyway, enough about FFXIII, that has been done to death, I think I am done in this thread too to be honest.

brendude13 said:
Runa216 said:

I don't have a problem with you (just to clarify, especially with how much we clashed in the past). I still think they should have chose a different person for the review and that your opinions on FFXIII are too extreme, but you explain your opinions thoroughly, and like I said in my post above, they're consistent.

oh trust me, I kind of agree...when I found out that they gave me that review I was floored.  I was like "Really?  after all the hate?"  Their explanation as to why I got it was two fold, most notably that since nobody else wanted it, that made me win by default, and as Signalstar explained earlier in the thread, I was a legitimate candidate to review it thanks to my extensive experience with the series and the promises that Square made that made the casual observer think the issues would be fixed.  

That said, I do plan on reviewing VsXIII if I'm able, and I assure you I will be fair with it if I get it.  I'm really looking forward to that one and it does not look like a game I will dislike, whereas I was never sold on XIII.  To me, Final Fantasy VsXIII looks like a wonderful blend of kingdom hearts and Final Fantasy XII, two of my favorite games.  it hasn't even come out yet and I can damn near assure it'll get a good score, but in the interest of fairness, if it's not good I'll give it a low score.  

I assure you, I do not let my own prejudice influence my review scores.  If they had, XIII-2 woud have gotten a 3.8 becuase to me gameplay and story matter more than anything else and all the tweaks in the world won't change the fact that the battle system sucks (in my opinion), and the plot was horrible.  there's almost always a slight disconnect with my 'fair' reviews that I post and my own personal opinions.  I gave Dissidia 012 Duodecim an 8.6, which is a great score...but I hated it.  I hated the gameplay and felt it was unfair and tedius and boring....but objectively I saw that there was a MASSIVE amount of content, the presentation was phenomenal, and while I didn't personally like the gameplay at all, it was deep, it was functional, it was varied, and it was without issue.  

I think everyone needs to take a step back to realize that if any of the other guys on the team (the editors) thought I was being unfair or biased, they'd have asked me to change something or make it clear.  They are not strict but they are firm, and they would not have let me post the review if they REALLY thought I was lashing out or on a vendetta.  None of the reviews I've written have been to slam a game or express hate.  I gave what I felt was a mediocre game a mediocre score; it's mediocre becuase it's half good and half bad, which I think is as fair as can be, even though the 5.4 I gave it seems harsh.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

A203D said:
brendude13 said:
Rob-Ot said:

Thats crap IMHO.  Are you talking the Fabula nova whatever?? Versus 13 and Agito/Type0 have nothing to do with each other. Even if they dl its very little, which means their is no excuse for the narrative in 13, to be that  bad, should have been one and done, hell the fact that they actually removed Type0 from the compilation shows that the whole tied together thing was crap to begin with.  If you're talking sequels, thats still crap, i dont want to have to wait years and pay 60 bucks to find out the whole story. Comic books, shows and even movies can get away with that because they are cheaper and come out more regulary. 

13 compilation sucks, badly. 7 and Ivalice alliance were much better because SE BUILT on the orginal games mythology(7 and Tactics). 13 is ass backwards with mythology first and then story

Runa216 said:
brendude13 said:
Runa216 said:

oh trust me, I kind of agree...when I found out that they gave me that review I was floored.  I was like "Really?  after all the hate?"  Their explanation as to why I got it was two fold, most notably that since nobody else wanted it, that made me win by default, and as Signalstar explained earlier in the thread, I was a legitimate candidate to review it thanks to my extensive experience with the series and the promises that Square made that made the casual observer think the issues would be fixed.  

That said, I do plan on reviewing VsXIII if I'm able, and I assure you I will be fair with it if I get it.  I'm really looking forward to that one and it does not look like a game I will dislike, whereas I was never sold on XIII.  To me, Final Fantasy VsXIII looks like a wonderful blend of kingdom hearts and Final Fantasy XII, two of my favorite games.  it hasn't even come out yet and I can damn near assure it'll get a good score, but in the interest of fairness, if it's not good I'll give it a low score.  

I assure you, I do not let my own prejudice influence my review scores.  If they had, XIII-2 woud have gotten a 3.8 becuase to me gameplay and story matter more than anything else and all the tweaks in the world won't change the fact that the battle system sucks (in my opinion), and the plot was horrible.  there's almost always a slight disconnect with my 'fair' reviews that I post and my own personal opinions.  I gave Dissidia 012 Duodecim an 8.6, which is a great score...but I hated it.  I hated the gameplay and felt it was unfair and tedius and boring....but objectively I saw that there was a MASSIVE amount of content, the presentation was phenomenal, and while I didn't personally like the gameplay at all, it was deep, it was functional, it was varied, and it was without issue.  

I think everyone needs to take a step back to realize that if any of the other guys on the team (the editors) thought I was being unfair or biased, they'd have asked me to change something or make it clear.  They are not strict but they are firm, and they would not have let me post the review if they REALLY thought I was lashing out or on a vendetta.  None of the reviews I've written have been to slam a game or express hate.  I gave what I felt was a mediocre game a mediocre score; it's mediocre becuase it's half good and half bad, which I think is as fair as can be, even though the 5.4 I gave it seems harsh.  

That's completely fair, even if your scoring system is a little weird.

As for Versus XIII, I'm not sold on it at all, the trailers don't do anything for me. It's pretty weird, I felt the same about XII, I guess games have that "spark" for some people and not for others.