By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII-2 gets 5.4 on Gamrreview - how is that possible?

Tagged games:

Runa216 said:

You poor bastard.  Maybe I am super lucky, but like I said, I played for like 200 hours between two seperate playthroughs and rarely had even t he slightest issue.  Some framerate lags immediately after quick travelling and one freeze was it.  if I was to review it I would have likely given it a 94 but only that low becuase I HEARD of the glitches, not becuase I encountered them.  

Right, Now try to play it 200 hours in one game save and let's see how it ends. Mine is a slide show. Then feel free to check the FOUR patches changelogs. With 1.4 hopefully coming out this week. They are 2 pages long with fixes for very disruptive bugs as well. As the freezing caused by the saving procedure in 1.4. Skyrim for PS3 is like a Ferrari that drives at maximum speed of 50 km/h. With the air condition or the lights or everything else occasionally not working. Not good. Nothing like that ever happened with a SE game. With Bethesda it is the norm and they still get the best reviews. is it what, bribing?

Around the Network

To all those who claim 5.4 is an average score, I have to disagree, it's a BAD score. The average score on meta is a 72.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Michelasso said:
Zim said:

.... do you actually thing that is how reviews work? So in your mind if a game had amazing presentation but there was literally no story, no characters and the gameplay was walking down a corridor doing nothing you would give it 50/100 at least because it had good presentation? 

There aren't set limits as to what parts of the game contribute to the overall score. Reviewers are reviewing the experience as a whole. FF13-2 deserves a 8/9 for graphics, presentation etc. But if the reviewer feels the gameplay and story are both awful then having pretty graphics doesn't somehow make the game enjoyable. 

It isn't just about graphics and presentation.Which are excellent as the reviewer admit himself (gorgeous visuals). It is that all FF games have great visuasl, good music, a long enough story, a great environment, a good battle system. Any game always had at least one purposely annoyngly funny character. Any game had a battle system that no matter what could be played just holding the X button 90-95% of times (doing that now with FF VI. Seriously, how boring). It is mostly a matter of hitting and sometime healing. Then there are the bosses and it gets a different story. All RPG elements are there, and FF XIII-2 is even more complex than other adding all the monsters. Everything fit together and plays SMOOTHLY, without glitches, hic-ups, nroken cameras or controls because of the excellent quality of the impementation and also being fun. More for some than others. How can a reviewer end up trashing a game like this? I am not saying everyone should give an 80, 90 or even 100. But if one doesn't like the game it still can't go below 70.

Now I read that also EDGE gave a 5/10. Well, those are the same jerks that gave FF X a 6/10!!! To FF X, probably the best FF game ever!! Lowering the Metacritic score. Doesn't anyone see that people like that should get another job? I want a mechanism for reviewing the reviewers then. These people have no rights to have their biased OPINION counted as a professional one. 

Do you actually read these reviews or just look at the score? The content is far more important than the score and the review describes all the positive and negative points quite well. Edges reviews are some of the most well-written, coherent and critical reviews in the industry, regardless of the score.

@ bolded

This is what's wrong with the games industry today. Such a ridiculous emphasis on metacritic scores and how reviews should only score in the 7-10 range. Step back and look at what you've written. Now try to look at that from the perspective of someone somewhat outside the games industry (if it helps, change the names to titles from a popular film series). It comes across as very immature which is how the games industry and its press are seen from the outside.

Khuutra said:
Barozi said:
Just one more of many examples where I think VGChartz did not deliver a good RPG review.

I know these are different reviewers, but when you have a review of FFXIII giving it a 9.0 and then one of FFXIII-2 giving it a 5.4, you can be sure that the credibility of our reviews decline.

Publications are not required to have games reviewed by similar reviewers with similar tastes. I've argued this with Kantor before: it's not one of the requirements for a good publication. Uniformity is not necessary.

True, but if a publication wants to appear as a credible objective source; one actually worth reading, then they should appear both credible and objective; which they very obviously do not in this case.

When you have review standards like the ones displayed here, scores and reviews become completely meaningless; ultimately it undermines the purpose of the review section.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Scoobes said:

Do you actually read these reviews or just look at the score? The content is far more important than the score and the review describes all the positive and negative points quite well. Edges reviews are some of the most well-written, coherent and critical reviews in the industry, regardless of the score.

Sure. Tell this to a student: you're good because you show to apply yourself, to study. I really appreciate your efforts. You just made few mistakes, so I will give you a 5/10 (in Italy anything below 6/10 means failure. One must take the class again). Or a D inthe US system. I don't give a damn about the content. Few have time to read all reviews. What it matters the most is the final score. If the score doesn't match the review then the reviewer is no good at all. I have been for a couple of years a Math high school teacher myself. I can assure you that to give the right score is one of the hardest part of the job. 

Anyway I looked for the Edge review of FF X but I couldn't find it. But honestly it would be just to understand how bad a reviewer can be. FF X is in the top games list of many FF players. Mine for sure. To have given it a 6/10 just shows a total lack of competence. And yes, I read also the couple of negative reviews for FF XIII-2, at least the one showed in the Metacritic. It seems to me that most of these guys give bad reviews to popular games just to raise THEIR audience. Otherwise they would still sunk in the anonymity they belong to. 

Around the Network

Oh, on a side note. Number of FaceBook fans for each magazine:

IGN: 607061
VGChartz: 8316
Edge: 6119

Yes. Numbers DO matter.

Michelasso said:
Scoobes said:

Sure. Tell this to a student: you're good because you show to apply yourself, to study. I really appreciate your efforts. You just made few mistakes, so I will give you a 5/10 (in Italy anything below 6/10 means failure. One must take the class again). Or a D inthe US system. I don't give a damn about the content. Few have time to read all reviews. What it matters the most is the final score. If the score doesn't match the review then the reviewer is no good at all. I have been for a couple of years a Math high school teacher myself. I can assure you that to give the right score is one of the hardest part of the job. 

Anyway I looked for the Edge review of FF X but I couldn't find it. But honestly it would be just to understand how bad a reviewer can be. FF X is in the top games list of many FF players. Mine for sure. To have given it a 6/10 just shows a total lack of competence. And yes, I read also the couple of negative reviews for FF XIII-2, at least the one showed in the Metacritic. It seems to me that most of these guys give bad reviews to popular games just to raise THEIR audience. Otherwise they would still sunk in the anonymity they belong to. 

That's aboslute rubbish Edge don't have to adhere to the feelings of fans nor do any other reviewer for the matter, for one 5/10 is average in Edge's scaling which meant they found X above average, many people liked X but many people also didn't to claim it's a lack of competence because it got a score you don't like is being big headed and I'm guessing you also don't know how Edge rates and reviews games either. They're an industrial mag as well as a gaming one so they look at technical aspects, innovation as well as what progression a game has had over it's predecessors and even things like glitches can result in the score reflecting it as seen with the Fallout games.

This is why getting a high score in Edge is seen in the industry as a notable achievement, if every outlet reviewed like Edge the would a much more accurate reflection of the quality of games today.

Michelasso said:

Comparing a writen review based on opinion is completely different to a maths question. The latter is exact, the former isn't. I got loads of comments at school where my opinion and understanding did not replicate the actual score. They were encourging my efforts and work put in even if what I had done wasn't correct. If you just went based on what is correct many more might fail. Even in maths, if you understand the process, getting the answer right is only half the marks, working it out is the other.

You won't find the review for FFX online, Edge didn't have website back then, it certainly didn't publish it's reviews online as it is an actual magazine, not an internet website like IGN and VGChartz (both of which have a world wide market while Edge has a UK one, to put light on those random numbers you listed below, I presume you were highlighting them to show how the less facebook fans they have the better the review scores right?).

Hmm, pie.

Its semi-irrelevant what Edge gave FF10. because Edge also gave FF12 9/10 and named it one of their top 10 games of all time.

so i would look at the written review rather than just looking at the score.

and we're being told numbers matter... does that mean when FF13-2 undersells its predecessor we can say that it was trash? based on the Japanese numbers alone it looks like FF13-2 will do less than half of what FF13 did. what if you use this metric to determine quality?

the point is Edge can give whatever scores they want so can Runa. theres nothing preventing fans for seeing for themselves how good the game is. unless of course those fans were disappointed with FF13 they dont want FF13-2.

I'm sorry but FFX deserves that 6/10

I'm glad someone back then realised how mediocre the game really was.