By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Was MS Wrong When They Claimed The #1 Spot For HW Sales WW?

Which Option Do You Think Is More Accurate?

The PS3/360 Is Over/Undertracked In EU. 135 23.48%

Ballmer Was Including A Few Jan Shipments. 67 11.65%

MS Stuffed The Channels. 246 42.78%

IT'S 2012! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! 123 21.39%

Total:571

I'm with yo_john on this. I don't know what the hell is going on. If Ballmer says No. 1, then we debate what he meant by No. 1, and on top SON¥ says nada, we might never know by how much the gap went down in 2011.

Around the Network
Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
Zappykins said:
Clearly, Steve Ballmer purchase a few million with his own money to make sure that Xbox won for 2011.

The big question will be to find out which region!

lol, probably japan for a start.

He was spotted raiding Japanese shops, he was disguised as a sumo wrestler, but they busted him because he was yelling his battle cry  "Developers Developers Developers Developers..."

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Maybe they mistook the November boom for a trend. Maybe they overproduced to get it cheaper for some components there were going to increase price. Maybe they stuffed the channel only to claim victory. Maybe they are including first shipments to regions the X360 was to launch. Perhaps it's all of it together.

Honestly I wouldn't expect a mega sales boost anywhere six years into it's lifetime, with no pricecuts at all. That's what I expected to happen with the Gamecube guys, and it only brought disappointment in the end.

Seece said:
Damn you're desperate, why don't you provide some unbiased points (like yes it can be heavily undertracked in Europe because they had extensive advertising this holiday there) and yes PS3 can be undertracked because it's DOWN yoy this Q in Japan, and DOWN yoy this Q in US. Last Q4 had GT5, you don't think it can be down? really?

There are a lot of other countries that sell X360, like all the countries it also got extensive advertising in and price cuts.

I love how you just assume there is a 1m gap ... you're unbelieveable

I'm not saying 360 has won, or that PS3 isn't ahead in actual sold units. But you've just come up with everything to suit your argument again. Why am I not surprised ....

kain_kusanagi said:
MS wouldn't say it if they didn't have the numbers to back it up. Sony didn't claim it and you know they would have if they had sales numbers. It's probably pretty close, but right now I have no reason not to believe MS.

This! If Sony sold more don't you think they would have announced it by now instead of just saying they're on track to make shipments?

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

I go with MS has overshipped X360's for the simple reason to stay second in this generation so long as possible because sony passing them will create a negative backslash.

Sure I want to believe that X360 did better in whole of europe but it is coming from the same guys/girls who said how incredible the numbers are going to be in USA and who tried very hard to make people who dare to talk about adjustments look like a fool.

Never put your heart in Vgchartz numbers...

I think MS claimed they are the manufacturer who sold the most consoles in the past year. Simply, just XBOX360 shipment figure may be higher than PS3. But without MS and SONY provides the FY report, everything is just a guessing.

Nintendo will be the ones to resolve this with their European gfk charts in the quarterly financials.

I'm still on the fence either way.

1) I feel MS/Ballmer "sort of"claimed number one but his language was uncertain next to other statements - number 1 in US, etc all of which were clear. He said - unless I've missed other comments - "number one sales" without any clear qualification of those sales - were they sold to retail, sold to consumers, was he even talking units? sales could be sales revenue, units or whatever.

2) NPD has some unexpected - to say the least - numbers and currently is looks very tricky to consider how to balance NPD with VG and determine where certain gaps might exist.

3) unless I'm missing something there seems some confusion regarding the IGN numbers. I've seen people saying MS contacted IGN directly to correct statements but when I looked at IGN their statement said they'd changed numbers based on an MS press release which clarified the numbers. They helpfully didn't include a link to the press release.

So basically I'm going to wait and see what MS, Sony and Nintendo disclose for shipments and their timeframe before considering this much further.

I think MS has a damn good chance of being number 1, I think Sony has a chance of being number 1 (for worldwide unit sales) but I think there's too much noise in the signal right now to be sure.

One thing I am feeling right now is it was close!

EDIT: to quote Kow from another thread which I think nicely sums it up:

"To be honest this thread along with every other sales thread is, at this point.... er.... pointless until we see all of the shipment data, even then it might end in a stale mate."

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

I still stand by the notion that companies refer to units shipped when they state 'sold'. Since technically they've sold it to retailers, unless i've misunderstood shipping.