By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is the PS3 a success?

Well, answer the damn question.

Yes, it is. 567 61.63%

No, it isn't. 292 31.74%

I like it when you talk rough, d21! 61 6.63%

Total:920
bonkers555 said:
Sony loss Billions of dollars with the PS3.

Sony was dominating the gaming industry in the two previous Gen but the PS3 now stuck behind 360 and Wii for last place.

Sony will not recover their market share in America which they have dominated in the past.

Yeah I agree with everyone here that the PS3 is a BIG SUCCESS.

Point #1 - I agree.

Point #2 - PS3 can absolutely still finish this gen in 2nd place with the 360 finishing in 3rd.

Point #3 - I bet people said the same about Nintendo after the N64 and Gamecube. Don't be so short sighted.

While it is great for someone to be on top all the time, it is even greater for one to fall so far from the top only to once again rise up. This is why Nintendo shocked the world this gen and it says a lot about them as a company. 

Never just go ahead and count someone out because they just might catch you off guard and surprise you.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Not a success, relative to what was expected of it before the gen started and financially for Sony

DirtyP2002 said:
Marks said:
Just in terms of sales, yes. It did remarkably well for being $600 and releasing a year after its main rival.

But for Sony, no, it was a failure. It bled money the first few years, and they lost massive market share.

That brings up the question: What kind of sales were Sony expecting?

Hard to say. They couldn't possibly have expected PS2 type numbers (120+ million) when they priced it at $600. I'm guessing they also didn't expect last place and lowest market share. 

Sony fucked up the PS3 from the get go, just like they are doing the PSV. They build so much hype and expectations that it never lives to it.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

Of course not. It fell short of expectations, and it was a huge loss for sony ($$$) went from 1st place to 3rd, and lost a lot of ground vs Microsoft.

Around the Network

As a gaming device? Yes.
Financially? Absolutely no! It was a nightmare for Sony IMO, and they lost not only billions of dollars, but tens of million fans.
Never the less it had recovered seriously from its debut, and this only helped its 1st party strenght. The true judgement will come with the PS4, when we will see if the PS3 managed to build a solid ground for its launch...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Given the circumstances,NO, it is not.

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

from gamer perspective HELL YES, from financial perspective NOT EVEN CLOSE

Sony lost billions of dollars and the majority of their market share with no way to recover either. That sure sounds like a failure to me.

I would say NO, because the PS3 made sony lost all the money from the PS and PS2, they lost marketshare and also mindshare, even though I like the PS3 I cant deny it was a failure