By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita 3G data plan costs revealed.

Last week we reported that AT&T doesn't seem to have a clue about the 3G data plans for the Vita. Contacting AT&T either by phone or by chat revealed that they didn't know what the costs associated with a 3G plan for the Vita were, let alone what the Vita itself is.

Thankfully going into an actual AT&T retailer store got way better results. Apparently the Vita won't have any special prices associated with it, and it will instead use the same data plans that they've already been using for other 3G devices, such as the iPad's.

There are two plans at the moment:

250MB of data - $14.99/month
2GB of data - $25/month

I've been informed that doing things like streaming YouTube or music will eat away fairly quick even at a 2GB data plan (though YouTube doesn't currently work with the Vita anyways) but that playing games online shouldn't be that taxing since the game is already predownloaded or running from a cartridge, though it was still recommended to get the 2GB plan if the Vita would be use extensively.

That means you're looking at $300 per year if you decide to go with the 2GB plan for the Vita. A positive point about this is that it doesn't require a contract and is paid on a month to month basis.

What do you think about that? Is it worth it to dish out $25 a month to be able to play multiplayer whenever you choose, or use GPS that most phones are already equipped with?

http://www.gamezone.com/news/ps-vita-3g-data-plan-costs-revealed-were-there-the-whole-time

Around the Network

I think I'm going to pass on the 3G unless I can use my own SIM card in Canada.

Playstation All-Stars is one of the best games I've played this gen, and is the most fun I've had in a game this gen.

i dont see anyone using the 3G model i think maybe they should have probably of scrapped it and instead released a $299 model with internal memory and a slightly more powerfull battery

Not worth it to me and probably most people. I can just add a tethering plan to my phone if I need access anywhere for roughly the same price plus AT&T coverage is horrendous in my area.

kowenicki said:
2GB will barely be enough so this isn't good. Multiplayer on the go isn't very practical yet. Paying that much for a hit and miss 3G signal is madness.

Where is 3G hit and miss? I travel constantly and have never been out of 3G now 4G on the other hand...

Around the Network

I assume wifi can do online mp right? so what's the point of 3g?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

How does this compare to other 3G plans out there?

Ajescent said:

No need for a hotspot.(access point)

4 ≈ One

As expected... But i really don't need an extra device connected with 3G.. My own Phone, The company's Phone and my iPad already have it.. and 3G isn't really suitable for multiplayer gaming unless you have the more expensive plans with faster speeds.. IPhone games have proven that..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

kowenicki said:
Ajescent said:

is that a serious question?

I'm not as up on technology as people think I am.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?