By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita 3G data plan costs revealed.

Icyedge said:

Is there a 3G phone on the market that allows connecting to an hard disc through 3G to stream media from it?

No... that's impossible.. connecting and streaming through Wifi? Plenty.. I use my iPad all the time to stream from a HD..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network
xwan said:
most peep will stick with the 3G-less version,and u guys need to stfu about the memory card. it's not that expensive.

It is!! now that I can't/won't stream p0rn from everywhere I want I need to get an extra memorycard to put my p0rn on it... :(

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Ajescent said:
kowenicki said:
Ajescent said:
I assume wifi can do online mp right? so what's the point of 3g?

is that a serious question?

I'm not as up on technology as people think I am.

Don't worry you are not alone =p.

I don't think its worth it for just online games. I like the idea its like a prepaid plan though.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
kowenicki said:
markers said:
kowenicki said:
2GB will barely be enough so this isn't good. Multiplayer on the go isn't very practical yet. Paying that much for a hit and miss 3G signal is madness.

Where is 3G hit and miss? I travel constantly and have never been out of 3G now 4G on the other hand...

Tempted to say.... US is not the world, but I wont

Well I live in the UK, its pretty good too here (get too rural and it trips out)...  go to mainland Europe however and... its shite, pretty much every time I travel abroad it is a crappy 3G signal and not to mention that when you do travel abroad 3G becomes wayyy too expensive when roaming.

I live in the U.S. and my 3G sometimes goes to 1G and on a few occassions, NO G at all. 

Around the Network

so im gonna put on my best buy mobile shirt and talk a little business here: (clears throat)

so did you know that you could purchase the vita at Best buy, the wifi model, and purchase a broadband card for $50
(with a 2year contract) and instantly save $100 off the vita? with this, you could choose AT&T, Sprint or Verizon with 5gb data plans at $50 a month?
this way, not only do you have a device that creates a hotspot for up to 5 other devices, you also (with verizon and at&t in some locations) will recieve 4G speed with 5gb of data.

does that sound like a deal?....GREAT! i'll get you signed up

I quite dislike AT&T, and these prices are one of many reasons why. We use Sprint for our mobile phones, and their data pricing is similar, but usage is unlimited.

We also finally switched from AT&T's DSL to Cox for internet this past week. Went from paying for 6mbps speed and getting 3.5 at best to paying for 30mbps speed and getting 30-32mbps. Almost 10x an increase in average speed for only about $25 more per month.

It is convenient for rich people on the go but man it is too expensive.

umegames said:
so im gonna put on my best buy mobile shirt and talk a little business here: (clears throat)

so did you know that you could purchase the vita at Best buy, the wifi model, and purchase a broadband card for $50
(with a 2year contract) and instantly save $100 off the vita? with this, you could choose AT&T, Sprint or Verizon with 5gb data plans at $50 a month?
this way, not only do you have a device that creates a hotspot for up to 5 other devices, you also (with verizon and at&t in some locations) will recieve 4G speed with 5gb of data.

does that sound like a deal?....GREAT! i'll get you signed up

Pretty much this though without the best buy sales pitch. If you have a smart phone you can more than likely just root your phone to add wifi tethering (allowing other wifi only devices to share your phone's internet connection) or pay somewhere between $20-$30/month for 2 GB or so of data for the same thing ( rooting and tethering may anger your carrier ).

If you don't have a smart phone there are plenty of "wifi hotspot" related devices like umegames mentions which might have similar pricing as the vita's AT&T plan and you can use any carrier you want. The downside is that you'll need to carry another (small) device around instead of just your vita.  The upside is, your friends/family can connect to it on road trips/what have you.

Who would get this?