By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS Vita 3G data plan costs revealed.

kowenicki said:
Ajescent said:
I assume wifi can do online mp right? so what's the point of 3g?

is that a serious question?

I see no point in getting the 3G. I already have unlimited internet on my phone which can be used as a wifi access point. So he is actually right.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
3G is gonna be dropped like the $499 launch PS3

I agree. The 3G model seems to be completely pointless at this stage when considering all the absurdly priced additional costs.

Edit -

After posting I realized the word "cost" now becomes an advertisement...

Really??

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

sales2099 said:
3G is gonna be dropped like the $499 launch PS3

This is pretty much spot on

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Whilst that's pretty standard pricing for 3G/4G it won't work for gaming on the go because 2GB a month won't be enough to do much of anything as far as online play is concerned. And that's not to mention that 3G wouldn't be all that great for online gaming.

While that's better than Verizon's price for 3G/4G ($30 for 2gb rather than $25), I think ATT should still do something a little extra/cheaper for the PSVita, especially since Sony did them a favor by contracting with them rather than the competition. This is just too much to afford ontop of so many other bills.

Around the Network

I just don't understand having 3g in the first place. It's just gotta be some kind of super niche targeting in order to make more money; The plans only really appeal to someone who has a dumb-phone and no browsing.
And there aren't any games specifically designed for it...it just really feels tacked on.
I'm sure that the reason Japanese sales are low is because all they have is 3g on the shelves.

Well at least now I know to skip out on the 3g model with prices like that. I was tempted to go for the first edition pack (which is 3g I think), but maybe I will just wait until they bring out a cool looking limited edition vita like they did with the psp (my first psp was the awesome white darth vader version).

Are these prices confirmed?? The article says that calling ATT yeilded no results so the author went to a retail ATT store and got the info i am skeptical to believe this news on the word of some employee in some random store if calling ATT provided no info.

Sounds fairly reasonable (similar plans will certainly be more expensive in Canada) but I don't think I would pay for a data plan for a handheld console. I would be far more inclined to use a smartphone as a wifi hotspot

I don't know why people are surprised.  Do you guys not pay for your own phone bill/not have a smartphone?  Those are the same exact rates as 3g on the Ipad, almost the same as phones (250 MB instead of 200).  $30 for 2GB at Verizon, with no option for a cheaper plan for Ipads (300 MB for $20 for phones).  Sprint has unlimited, but it will cost you a minimum of $80 a month plus taxes and fees (bear in mind, that is for a phone plan, they don't offer 3G by itself).  T-Mobile has 'unlimited' data, but they throttle your speed after a certain point.  200 MB is $10, 2GB is $20.