By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation Vita sold better than some people think

The 320k that was reported was for the first 2 days, so hooray!

Around the Network

Well, all the lineups and such occurred for day 1, so obviously that is where the bulk of the sales comes from. I am guessing that the day 1 sales are significantly higher than the day 2 sales.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Well, at least now, we can say that there wont be a shortage of WIFI models... when it gets to the rest of the world, I mean. I don't see the big deal about two days myself. either... It's not about acceleration right out of the gate, however, the durability of a nice, steady pace.

I can't wait to get mine come february 22nd... I couldn't care less about you guys getting it a week early... There's people already playing it in Japan, so, it's not like it's anything special. But, give Sony the extra money.. Maybe some good will come from it.

NiKKoM said:
You can't just undoom something... there are rules and traditions on this site!

Exactly. The nerve of some people.

They are not bad sales, wait till the Japanese games start rolling out next year.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
voty2000 said:
You forgot to mention that the Vita has released during the holiday rush so sales could have been higher. I really have no idea what good sales would be but there should be a boost due to releasing close to Christmas.

Japan doesn't really have a Christmas.  I mean there are growing number of Japanese people who celebrate it, but it's not a national holiday.  Japan usually sees a boost around this time of year, which carries over into January, but if memory serves me, it's mainly to celebrate the new year. 

Anyway, you talk like the 3DS isn't affected by this holiday boost.  Of course, it is.  Plus, the 3DS got a game from one of the more popular series in Japan (Monster Hunter) only 2 weeks ago, so it is still seeing a boost from that, as well.  Vita, on the other hand, is much more expensive than the 3DS and only got a handful of games that actually interested Japanese gamers (which is quite normal for any launch).  Its sales next week and, more imortantly, next year will decide its fate.  Then, we have to wait and see what it does when it gets its own Monster Hunter. 

Also, I think a lot are forgetting that this was Sony's 2nd largest launch of a console ever, in Japan.  2nd only to the PS2.

bmmb1 said:

Well... people like to say "this or that had only 2 days". But you know, these 2 days include all pre-orders from the last x months + all the hype that built up in that time, so unless it sold out everywhere (which it didn't), actually whatever had only 2 days could also be seen as actually covering several months of sales (this could apply to anything at all, not just specifically the Vita).

Of course it could sell real well moving forward, I a not saying it will or won't, I just commented on the "only 2 days" argument.

This is exactly the point I wanted to make. This are not "only 2 days", this are the sales of months and months of marketing, hype and preorders plus the season boost. The console is not doomed by any means but it needs better games and maybe a better price point. I really hope that both the 3DS and the PSV do great in the future.

thismeintiel said:
voty2000 said:
You forgot to mention that the Vita has released during the holiday rush so sales could have been higher. I really have no idea what good sales would be but there should be a boost due to releasing close to Christmas.

Japan doesn't really have a Christmas.  I mean there are growing number of Japanese people who celebrate it, but it's not a national holiday.  Japan usually sees a boost around this time of year, which carries over into January, but if memory serves me, it's mainly to celebrate the new year. 

Anyway, you talk like the 3DS isn't affected by this holiday boost.  Of course, it is.  Plus, the 3DS got a game from one of the more popular series in Japan (Monster Hunter) only 2 weeks ago, so it is still seeing a boost from that, as well.  Vita, on the other hand, is much more expensive than the 3DS and only got a handful of games that actually interested Japanese gamers (which is quite normal for any launch).  Its sales next week and, more imortantly, next year will decide its fate.  Then, we have to wait and see what it does when it gets its own Monster Hunter. 

Also, I think a lot are forgetting that this was Sony's 2nd largest launch of a console ever, in Japan.  2nd only to the PS2.

Never occurred to me that Christmas wouldn't be as big in Japan. 

once something is doomed it will stay doomed...until it bitchslaps everyone in the face after eating a bit a humble pie with a side order of crow :p

3DS has built up momentum from the price drop and word of mouth.
The Vita had no chance. Lets see how it sells the next few weeks.