By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation Vita sold better than some people think

Yup the 3DS also had 2 days during its launch week like the Vita did. So people were just basing Vita's supposed doom on it's 321k sales as compared to the 3DS's 370+k.

But yup, the war's full swing the next week. Only then will we know the true situation.

(I think the Vita's weaker first week sales might have stemmed from the Jap consumer's fear of another 3DSituation back then. Weak launch titles, and weak lineups till when Mario came into the picture. This happened even when Vita's launch lineup was a little better, oh well. >

Around the Network
irstupid said:
Come on you guys should all know how this works by now. DOESN'T matter what system it is, its always DOOMED upon release, followed by fanboys defending it.

Can't we all just sit back and wait, while we see how it does during the first year before we call DOOM. Look at 3DS, decent start, horrible middle and now doing amazing. Vita is currently less than decent start, _____ middle, and then doing _________.

Based on announced games, I would say the probability of Vita being "doomed" is higher than 3DS at moment, but what do I know.

agreed. best post in the thread.

sos every yr., with every console. where does your allegiance lie? do i have to make that thread again? growing up is hard fo many i see.

it's ok to cheer for your fav. console, but the comp does not need to be doomed. it's getting old, annoying, and makes for a very bad thread.

you're making it really hard for me to give you a nickname.

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
According to the reports, Sony undershipped the Wi-fi version (ie; the cheaper version), and overshipped the 3g version.
Apparently, lots of demand for the cheaper one, less demand for the expensive one.

Can the 3G version use Wi-fi?

If not, I can't understand why they'd think the 3G Version would sell much at all....

Most people are still much more Wi-Fi people.

IIRC they did the same thing with the 20/60 GB ps3 in Japan. Sold out of the 20GBs because they undershipped. Ofc they were losing so much more money on the 20GB so it made sense...I'm thinking it's a similar situation with the Vita. One breaks even, the other profits; One loses money, one breaks even, etc

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
According to the reports, Sony undershipped the Wi-fi version (ie; the cheaper version), and overshipped the 3g version.
Apparently, lots of demand for the cheaper one, less demand for the expensive one.

If not, I can't understand why they'd think the 3G Version would sell much at all....

IIRC they did the same thing with the 20/60 GB ps3 in Japan. Sold out of the 20GBs because they undershipped. Ofc they were losing so much more money on the 20GB so it made sense...I'm thinking it's a similar situation with the Vita. One breaks even, the other profits; One loses money, one breaks even, etc

Seems like a big difference though.  The difference between the 20 gig and the 60 is shelling out 50 bucks for a wireless router.

Difference between Wi-Fi and 3G is paying an expensive subscription fee...

I guess you could argue that's part of Sony's plan though.  Force people on to the more expensive 3G Version where they can then collect a part of AT&T's 3G revenue from it.

Mordred11 said:
thismeintiel said:

Japan doesn't really have a Christmas.  I mean there are growing number of Japanese people who celebrate it, but it's not a national holiday.  Japan usually sees a boost around this time of year, which carries over into January, but if memory serves me, it's mainly to celebrate the new year. 

Anyway, you talk like the 3DS isn't affected by this holiday boost.  Of course, it is.  Plus, the 3DS got a game from one of the more popular series in Japan (Monster Hunter) only 2 weeks ago, so it is still seeing a boost from that, as well.  Vita, on the other hand, is much more expensive than the 3DS and only got a handful of games that actually interested Japanese gamers (which is quite normal for any launch).  Its sales next week and, more imortantly, next year will decide its fate.  Then, we have to wait and see what it does when it gets its own Monster Hunter. 

Also, I think a lot are forgetting that this was Sony's 2nd largest launch of a console ever, in Japan.  2nd only to the PS2.

I couldn't agree more with this,best post in the whole thread.The doom-callers should all take notice.

Now you don't want anybody talking doom about to the vita? when you applauded someone who was dooming the 3DS because I said  that the drop in sales  the week before of the price cut was understandable? Now the 3DS is a monster and is time to take the heat. Life is sweet. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4176162.

Around the Network
sensebringer said:

Now you don't want anybody talking doom about to the vita? when you applauded someone who was dooming the 3DS because I said  that the drop in sales  the week before of the price cut was understandable? Now the 3DS is a monster and is your time to take the heat. Life is sweet. 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=132729&page=1  

For anyone that doesn't know what he's talking about,it's this http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4176162.

Seriously? I don't see how Carl was ''dooming'' the 3DS with that post.It's the truth,the 3DS was doing downright terrible before the price-cut.He couldn't be more right.

Console Americas Japan EMEAA Worldwide
15,151 n/a 12,446 27,597

Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:

Seems like a big difference though.  The difference between the 20 gig and the 60 is shelling out 50 bucks for a wireless router.

I guess you could argue that's part of Sony's plan though.  Force people on to the more expensive 3G Version where they can then collect a part of AT&T's 3G revenue from it.

Yes, that was my point. Financially it makes sense. REALLY sucks that it's At&t though. ALTHOUGH, something I hadn't thought about until just now....it's legal to jailbreak this thing since it has a carrier.

theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:

Yes, that was my point. Financially it makes sense. REALLY sucks that it's At&t though. ALTHOUGH, something I hadn't thought about until just now....it's legal to jailbreak this thing since it has a carrier.

I thought it was confirmed the psv won't be simlocked to a one perticular 3g provider? (at least outside of jp)

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

M.U.G.E.N said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:
Kasz216 said:
theprof00 said:

I thought it was confirmed the psv won't be simlocked to a one perticular 3g provider? (at least outside of jp)

Irregardless innotwithstanding, as long as it is a network based device, it can be jailbroken

irstupid said:
Can't we all just sit back and wait, while we see how it does during the first year before we call DOOM. Look at 3DS, decent start, horrible middle and now doing amazing

who says the 3ds is doing amazing?

It came 4th in the last NPD, this for a console thats meant to sell well during holiday period and has recently been discounted. Its doing amazing in Japan but look at PSP amazing in japan does not mean amazing everywhere.

All bow to me the VGChartz current reigning 3DS prediction champion 

Bet with tbone51: Pokeon X & pokemon Y will not sell more than 8 million in 2013

jarrod said:The Xbox360 or ps3 will not sell more than 75million units

July 2009 daveJ saidTrue the wii has a large lead now but by 2017 the most likely result will be 1. ps3 2. xbox360 3. wii <-- wii's successor launched in 2011 effectively killing sales of the wii

2009 daveJ said: The wii will not break the 50% marketshare barrier it will go below the 40% marketshare barrier though in the future. VGChartz members: Impossible, youre an idiot that knows nothing about sales