By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Up! - 17th December

Is this the biggest week of the year or will next week be bigger?

Around the Network

7 of the top 15 products in amazon vg bestsellers are kinect related.

I LOVE GIGGS said:
Is this the biggest week of the year or will next week be bigger?

Next week (the week we are currently in) with Christmas eve being on a saturday

Really amazing sales for the 360.

If Microsoft plays their cards right and doesn´t fuck up, the next Xbox has a very high chance of being the next generation´s number 1 console in the U.S., maybe quickly erasing the WiiU´s lead.

Wow for almost the entire holiday season the 360 and the PS3's jumps in the US have been nearly the same.

Gears and Halo CEA finally picked up this week and Skyrim is being the usual beast. It might get to 5 million on the 360 alone by the end of the year.

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
sales2099 said:
360 YOY growth is AMAZING!

And the funny thing is....they saved their price cut for 2012. PS3 doesnt have a chance

just like i said this yr.(and predicted correctly) MS doesn't need a price cut(not in the U.S anyway), but they will have one, but don't count out another PS3 price cut in 2012, so i wouldn't jump the gun on PS3's chances next yr, price cut or not.

yea i know it's highly doubtful, but the possibilty is still there. on that same note, you're right.

Sony better have a stronger plan than a another price drop. They just cut the price down $50 this year. Even a $25 price drop wouldn't do much and Sony would be getting crushed by the RED numbers in the gaming division again.

Profit needs to be the focus for this division. Vita is already going to be selling at the loss/break even point. Sony needs to have a 16gb memory card sold for every Wi-Fi model to break even there. If any of the memory cards get sold to a customer who buys the 3G model, Sony will profit. But cutting the price of the PS3 would be a bad move.

Jack Tretton can't lead the PS3 to victory. SCE Japan and SCE Europe need to crush the 360 next year. There must be a plan in place to hold off the 360 without a price cut.

If this overall Christmas shopping season is stronger than the last one, (i don't know it it is, people getting used to being in an economic crisis, who knows) that plus deals wold explain the xbox increase YOY.
The PS3 increase on the other hand is lame. I guess it's Sony's style not to advertise a lot, because a price cut should do a bit more than that, no?

ethomaz said:
Mordred11 said:
Munkeh111 said:
Mordred11 said:
Lol @ the PS3 & 360 having the same % boost.

I could have sworn that the PS3 and 360 have had the same jumps for the past few weeks, or is that just me

Week ending 10th December

X360 540,252 (+28%) 31,819,764
PS3 241,646 (+28%) 19,234,221

That's weird... the NPD showed the PS3 had a better % increase in November... so I expect the same for December.

why would you expect that. Thats like saying the wii sold better then the ps3/360 in 2010 so, its to be expected it sells better in 2011 as well. 
Think abou this. In november, specifically black friday, sony arguably had the best black friday deal with a $200 ps3 with 2 games, it had the uncharted 3 bundle launch which in November evidently sold around 100k in USA alone according to vgchartz sales data. 360 had a bunch of awsome deals as well. In december microsoft continued with its awsome deals, while sony's deals have gone down the drain. So why would you expect a similar boost again?

ithis said:
If this overall Christmas shopping season is stronger than the last one, (i don't know it it is, people getting used to being in an economic crisis, who knows) that plus deals wold explain the xbox increase YOY.
The PS3 increase on the other hand is lame. I guess it's Sony's style not to advertise a lot, because a price cut should do a bit more than that, no?

the pricecut has done a lot for it throughout the holiday. It is up significantly YOY every month in America, when before the pricecut it was always down YOY, so the pricecut negated the decrease and gave it a significant boost. That isn't bad at all.

Tridrakious said:

Sony better have a stronger plan than a another price drop. They just cut the price down $50 this year. Even a $25 price drop wouldn't do much and Sony would be getting crushed by the RED numbers in the gaming division again.

Profit needs to be the focus for this division. Vita is already going to be selling at the loss/break even point. Sony needs to have a 16gb memory card sold for every Wi-Fi model to break even there. If any of the memory cards get sold to a customer who buys the 3G model, Sony will profit. But cutting the price of the PS3 would be a bad move.

Jack Tretton can't lead the PS3 to victory. SCE Japan and SCE Europe need to crush the 360 next year. There must be a plan in place to hold off the 360 without a price cut.

I'm curious of where you get that information from?