By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Up! - 17th December

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Tridrakious said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
sales2099 said:
360 YOY growth is AMAZING!

And the funny thing is....they saved their price cut for 2012. PS3 doesnt have a chance

just like i said this yr.(and predicted correctly) MS doesn't need a price cut(not in the U.S anyway), but they will have one, but don't count out another PS3 price cut in 2012, so i wouldn't jump the gun on PS3's chances next yr, price cut or not.

yea i know it's highly doubtful, but the possibilty is still there. on that same note, you're right.

Sony better have a stronger plan than a another price drop. They just cut the price down $50 this year. Even a $25 price drop wouldn't do much and Sony would be getting crushed by the RED numbers in the gaming division again.

Profit needs to be the focus for this division. Vita is already going to be selling at the loss/break even point. Sony needs to have a 16gb memory card sold for every Wi-Fi model to break even there. If any of the memory cards get sold to a customer who buys the 3G model, Sony will profit. But cutting the price of the PS3 would be a bad move.

Jack Tretton can't lead the PS3 to victory. SCE Japan and SCE Europe need to crush the 360 next year. There must be a plan in place to hold off the 360 without a price cut.

how could i possibly disagree with that? yet i'm not so sure Sony has any idea what to do next yr. if we use this holiday season as a sign of things to come, then, 2012 looks really bad for Sony.

Jack Trentton has pulled out near ever trick in the book, yet their achilles heel is still their avertisment, and the worse part is that they can't get a decent deal from any 3rd party pub., or retailers.

if i don't know anything else, i know this. and thats if Sony plan to make any profit next yr. there going to have to cut cost somewhere. i'd love to see SCEJ and SCEE do something in the gaming djvision, but these days it seems it's all SCEA.

Jack Tretton hasn't done much of anything, he never really has. He is just like Howard Stringer. Right place at the right time. Jack has his moments of sounding like he knows what he is doing, but he doesn't. When push comes to shove he can't fight.

Sony has the advertising for the hardcore, but Kevin Butler has went from a "mainstream" promoter to just the hardcore. Sony's first party is crucial to show off the power and potential of PlayStation hardware. What Sony needs to do is work closer with EA. Special exclusive DLC for 2012 EA releases. PlayStation Move needs to have a bigger presence in 2012. Instead of a price cut. Sony needs to launch a new PERMANENT bundle. LittleBigPlanet 2 Special Edition needs to be packaged in til they discontinue the system.

Around the Network
Tridrakious said:
ithis said:
Tridrakious said:

Sony better have a stronger plan than a another price drop. They just cut the price down $50 this year. Even a $25 price drop wouldn't do much and Sony would be getting crushed by the RED numbers in the gaming division again.

Profit needs to be the focus for this division. Vita is already going to be selling at the loss/break even point. Sony needs to have a 16gb memory card sold for every Wi-Fi model to break even there. If any of the memory cards get sold to a customer who buys the 3G model, Sony will profit. But cutting the price of the PS3 would be a bad move.

Jack Tretton can't lead the PS3 to victory. SCE Japan and SCE Europe need to crush the 360 next year. There must be a plan in place to hold off the 360 without a price cut.

I'm curious of where you get that information from?

Sony Computer Entertainment president Kazuo Hirai wants PlayStation Vita to turn a profit within the next three years, reportsReuters.

He also said he expects sales of the company’s new handheld to outsell the PSP.

Jack Tretton, president of SCEA, has said PlayStation Vita will arrive in Japan this year, though other regions may have to wait until next year.

PlayStation Vita will retail for YEN 24,980 in Japan and $249.99 in the US.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/e3-2011-sce-wants-vita-profit-in-three-years/03372

With the wi-fi only edition coming in at $249, Sony's PSP successor will compete directly on the shop shelves with both 3DS and iPod touch, but said price point also means the company will sell each device at a loss.

The revelation was made by SCE CEO Kaz Hirai in an interview with Reuters, with turning a profit on the device within its first three years a prime target for the company.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/PlayStation+Vita/news.asp?c=30520

Sony has packed quite a bit of game into PlayStation Vita. And they're selling it for ¥24,980,

Not surprisingly, Sony will be incurring a loss on Vita sales. In an interview with Reuters, Sony consumer products head Kaz Hirai said that the company expects to begin making a profit on the hardware within three years.

Hirai also said that he hopes to make Vita sell more units than the PSP. Coinciding with the Vita name and price announcement at Sony's pre E3 press conference earlier today, Sony revealed that PSP has shipped 70 million units.

http://andriasang.com/comw7e/vita_loss/

Does the above (one article in japanese, not 3 as it may appear to be) mean that Sony will sell the device at a loss for 3 years before selling int for a profit, or that they hope that in 3 years it will pay for the initial investment and then will start to make money?

How about the memory card speculation? Where does that come from?

I beleive X360 is heavily overtracked. Remember that Xbox 360 end of year numbers have always been adjusted down by 0.5-1 million after shipment numbers arrive a few months into a new year. It's always like this.

chocoloco said:
Not much to add other than go skyrim go! I hope it sells more than FFXIII by a large margin in the West because it is going in a much better direction for RPGs than the way FF has gone.

I don't think owners of PS3 version Skyrim agree with you.....Betsheda really fucked up with it.

ithis said:
Tridrakious said:
ithis said:
Tridrakious said:

I'm curious of where you get that information from?

Sony Computer Entertainment president Kazuo Hirai wants PlayStation Vita to turn a profit within the next three years, reportsReuters.

He also said he expects sales of the company’s new handheld to outsell the PSP.

Jack Tretton, president of SCEA, has said PlayStation Vita will arrive in Japan this year, though other regions may have to wait until next year.

PlayStation Vita will retail for YEN 24,980 in Japan and $249.99 in the US.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/e3-2011-sce-wants-vita-profit-in-three-years/03372

With the wi-fi only edition coming in at $249, Sony's PSP successor will compete directly on the shop shelves with both 3DS and iPod touch, but said price point also means the company will sell each device at a loss.

The revelation was made by SCE CEO Kaz Hirai in an interview with Reuters, with turning a profit on the device within its first three years a prime target for the company.

http://www.pocketgamer.biz/r/PG.Biz/PlayStation+Vita/news.asp?c=30520

Sony has packed quite a bit of game into PlayStation Vita. And they're selling it for ¥24,980,

Not surprisingly, Sony will be incurring a loss on Vita sales. In an interview with Reuters, Sony consumer products head Kaz Hirai said that the company expects to begin making a profit on the hardware within three years.

Hirai also said that he hopes to make Vita sell more units than the PSP. Coinciding with the Vita name and price announcement at Sony's pre E3 press conference earlier today, Sony revealed that PSP has shipped 70 million units.

http://andriasang.com/comw7e/vita_loss/

Does the above (one article in japanese, not 3 as it may appear to be) mean that Sony will sell the device at a loss for 3 years before selling int for a profit, or that they hope that in 3 years it will pay for the initial investment and then will start to make money?

How about the memory card speculation? Where does that come from?

Looking at the system the way it stands today will make a profit in 3 years on its own. Without reducing components down, less power consuming processors, etc. This isn't including acc. sales, game sales, dlc purchases, digital purchases (overall), etc. Of course this will be hard to do if Sony cuts the price to soon.

The memory card thing is just my own speculation after looking at the memory prices, comparing them to USB flash drives, SD Cards and even Memory Sticks. Vita Memory cards should not cost more than what is already out on the store shelves. Yet they are incredibly expensive to buy. So I was just going off of common knowledge of what's here now and what Vita is bringing to the aging memory table.

Around the Network
Slimebeast said:
I beleive X360 is heavily overtracked. Remember that Xbox 360 end of year numbers have always been adjusted down by 0.5-1 million after shipment numbers arrive a few months into a new year. It's always like this.

Based on NPD November numbers nothing in the December numbers appears out of the ordinary. 

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

why do people always think the 360 is overtrack and ps3 under especially considering the 360 is killing the amazon charts

kowenicki said:
Slimebeast said:

always like this?  heavily overtracked to the tune of 0.5m to 1.0m?

no it isnt

be quiet.

has he turned into the MS Nintendogamer? :S when did this happen

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

gameonbro said:
why do people always think the 360 is overtrack and ps3 under especially considering the 360 is killing the amazon charts

Because every other year showed us that.

ethomaz said:
gameonbro said:

Because every other year showed us that.

so are we in the other year or the year before other lol... im pretty sure ps3 fanboys say the same every year