By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - No Multiplayer In The Last of Us. . . But Who Cares! b/c Its Naughty Dog’s First M-Rated Title

morenoingrato said:
I find it a little sad people find the game to be "M" rated as a positive.
That makes Crash and Jak worthless according to your logic. Even Uncharted.

I'm guessing it's because of the genre this game will be in...a survival type game with an M rating means they can go all out on how messed up the story of the game is if you get what I'm saying.

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
sales2099 said:

Well honestly when a grenade detonates and the body simply falls down with no real blood and dismemberment, its like the games been dumbed down so 13 year olds can buy the game. 

Grown adults over the age of 21 want more gritty combat. Has nothing to do with quality but for the content to simply match what the adult gamer wants. Im 24 personally and I love the combat in Gears 3, very satisfying. For Uncharted 3.....I'd feel like im playing this game alongside little kids cause of that T rating. 

Im sure I am not alone here. 

I could say the complete opposite. I don't like games with EXAGGERATED gore because it feels like I'm playing a game targetted towards sadistic kids who get off watching blood spray all over the screen.

sales2099 said:

Just seems strange that Sony is kinda killing one of its golden eggs given Uncharted 3 sales. 

Killing one of it's golden eggs? Franchises come and go all the time, Naughty Dog and SONY just know when to call it quits. If the same logic applied then we would be playing Crash Bandicoot 10 right now. I would be more than happy not to see an Uncharted 4 because the franchise has ran its course.

As for 'The Last of Us', starting a new IP in one generation is breaking their usual cycle, I don't think 'The Last of Us' can become a franchise and it will just be a single installment to finish off the generation, probably because they didn't want to make 'Un-Karted' .

Well the maturity aspect part is always up for debate.  Others here said that ND is developing both at the same time, allthough thats not confirmed. 

But your comment "ND and Sony know when to call it quits" intrigues me. It implies Sony is lacking basic comphrension of economics. If you have a multimillion selling franchise, you keep making new installments. Sony gets profit and fans get their fix. Either way the Last of Us will delay Uncharted 4 by 1-2 years, even more if its chosen to be on the PS4, new hardware always being tricky at first. For fans to say "meh, was good while it lasted" genuinely puzzles me. If I had no more Halo games and novels Id be super pissed cause I have become invested in the lore, but thats me. 

But in the end I think your right about the timing. The gens on its last legs. Better off making a new IP and save Uncharted 4 for the next gen. That strategy does make sense. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Dgc1808 said:
sales2099 said:
Seriou question: Does anybody care/realize that this means you won't see another Uncharted game for a while due to resources being shifted here? I mean your looking at at least 4 years until you see Uncharted 4.

I know. Isn't it wonderful

They have stated that they now have two full teams, which is why "the last of us" is further than preproduction. So a new uncharted could indeed come out in two years time.

Check out my game about moles ^

A203D said:
Tridrakious said:

Uncharted is single player focused. Yes they added multiplayer in 2 and perfected it in 3, but the main reason people buy them is the characters and story.

Interesting, my impression was Uncharted 2 was recieved so well because of the great multiplayer mode, hence why the third one has been successful. i really dont know if those games would have found the same success without the multiplayer mode they added in the second game.

Uncharted 1 is closing in on 4 million sold (I haven't checked the numbers for the game recently) and it was single player only. From everyone I talked to have said they bought Uncharted 2 for the single player and was surprised how fun and addicting the multiplayer was. Same thing happened for Uncharted 3, but the multiplayer is leaps and bounds better in 3 than the single player. Which is very disappointing.

TheFallen said:
The girl is very Ellen Page. Game looks very promising.

greenmedic88 said:

So it wasn't just my imagination.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Juno was the character design inspiration whether intentional or subconscious. 

XD

http://pinoytutorial.com/techtorial/the-last-of-us-young-girl-based-from-ellen-page-vga-2011-trailer/

She IS Ellen Page.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network

Lol, that's cool. She reseambles her a lot. Wonder what other characters we'll find. I'm hoping the game is free roaming. ND have shown us what they can do with linear type games, so I hope they push the bar in the open world genre. I'm glad it's the U2 team as Imo U2>>U3. U3 was still very good though.

Jay520 said:
That's a shame. I was looking hoping for co-op.

I don't really see how being a M-Rated title translates to quality, but good for those that care, I guess.

M rating shows no compromises were made in regards to content just to drive down the age barier. That alone doesn't mean it will be good game but definily increases chances.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

sales2099 said:
brendude13 said:
sales2099 said:

Well honestly when a grenade detonates and the body simply falls down with no real blood and dismemberment, its like the games been dumbed down so 13 year olds can buy the game. 

Grown adults over the age of 21 want more gritty combat. Has nothing to do with quality but for the content to simply match what the adult gamer wants. Im 24 personally and I love the combat in Gears 3, very satisfying. For Uncharted 3.....I'd feel like im playing this game alongside little kids cause of that T rating. 

Im sure I am not alone here. 

I could say the complete opposite. I don't like games with EXAGGERATED gore because it feels like I'm playing a game targetted towards sadistic kids who get off watching blood spray all over the screen.

sales2099 said:

Just seems strange that Sony is kinda killing one of its golden eggs given Uncharted 3 sales. 

Killing one of it's golden eggs? Franchises come and go all the time, Naughty Dog and SONY just know when to call it quits. If the same logic applied then we would be playing Crash Bandicoot 10 right now. I would be more than happy not to see an Uncharted 4 because the franchise has ran its course.

As for 'The Last of Us', starting a new IP in one generation is breaking their usual cycle, I don't think 'The Last of Us' can become a franchise and it will just be a single installment to finish off the generation, probably because they didn't want to make 'Un-Karted' .

Well the maturity aspect part is always up for debate.  Others here said that ND is developing both at the same time, allthough thats not confirmed. 

But your comment "ND and Sony know when to call it quits" intrigues me. It implies Sony is lacking basic comphrension of economics. If you have a multimillion selling franchise, you keep making new installments. Sony gets profit and fans get their fix. Either way the Last of Us will delay Uncharted 4 by 1-2 years, even more if its chosen to be on the PS4, new hardware always being tricky at first. For fans to say "meh, was good while it lasted" genuinely puzzles me. If I had no more Halo games and novels Id be super pissed cause I have become invested in the lore, but thats me. 

But in the end I think your right about the timing. The gens on its last legs. Better off making a new IP and save Uncharted 4 for the next gen. That strategy does make sense. 

Look at masters of rehashing same old game all the time - Nintendo. They produce one two entry into each of their franchises per generation  - that way they are not milking them to death.

So it's much better if they reserve Uncharted 4 as one of launch window titles for PS4.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Jay520 said:

I don't really see how being a M-Rated title translates to quality, but good for those that care, I guess.

There could be local co-op? Nah, probably not.

There's got to be interchange between playing as each character. If Ellie is the platforming / stealth character I think I'll find playing as her to be the most fun. Here's hoping for platforming that's much more... risky than in the Uncharted series.

I too don't care about M rating for its own sake, in fact it will reduce sales potential a little because there are parents who won't allow R18 / M rated games. Still, being a survival horror game it really does need to be M/R18 to have the right freaky factor.

Gonna be hard to sneak it past the family censor though. Hopefully because it's horror it'll get through, she seems to be not so strict on horror compared to other sorts of violence. Go figure. I guess the less "real" the violence the more acceptable.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:
Jay520 said:

There could be local co-op? Nah, probably not.

There's got to be interchange between playing as each character. If Ellie is the platforming / stealth character I think I'll find playing as her to be the most fun. Here's hoping for platforming that's much more... risky than in the Uncharted series.

I too don't care about M rating for its own sake, in fact it will reduce sales potential a little because there are parents who won't allow R18 / M rated games. Still, being a survival horror game it really does need to be M/R18 to have the right freaky factor.

Gonna be hard to sneak it past the family censor though. Hopefully because it's horror it'll get through, she seems to be not so strict on horror compared to other sorts of violence. Go figure. I guess the less "real" the violence the more acceptable.

I didn't know the characters would have different abilities. Good to know.

I also doubt the M-rating would affect it much. (the top selling PS3 games are mainly M-rated). Also, has it been confirmed horror. Because you know, just because it's survival doesn't mean it's horror also