By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft is investing in their first party studios like never before.

D-Joe said:
Seece said:

Lionhead working on a NON Fable game? Hell has frozen over!!!

I think they should buy Ruffian, beef it up there, and give them more dev time. Crackdown was competant but C2 sucked (mainly cos it had like 7 month dev time) so I think they're capable of a great game, nothing AAA though ...

Remedy, no brainer for me .... also Harmonix. And Double Fine. All other ones they should buy.

Ruffian developing a Microsft publish game,but not sure will it be Crackdown 3(still throwing money for this ip?pretty wired for MS)

Crackdown could still be saved.  The second game was bad - a rushed cash grab that MS forced so that they could have another exclusive.  But that franchise has potential if given time and resources to really innovate.  (And Crackdown 2 still sold nearly a million units, despite horrible reviews.)  They'd have their work cut out for them after the bad taste left by C2, but there's an audience there for a quality game.  Hell - I just sold my used copy for $17 on Glyde, which is actually pretty decent for how old/not great that game was.  

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network
Joelcool7 said:
Jazz2K said:
Lol... on thiese forums, no matter what MS does, it's alway bad. People shouldn't over praise exclusives like they're the only games worth playing. Most of the games I play are multi except for the Kinect ones, Halo and Forza, I don't see what the competition can do better if I'm going to play the same games.

On topic, it's a good thing to see MS gearing up for next gen by building a stronger first party dev team. I wish they stayed with Bizarre, I'm starting to miss the PGR series.

It is typically the exclusives that sell the hardware. You yourself mention Halo and Forza, they obviously played a role in you purchasing a 360. Live also makes every game on 360 unique as it offers an experiance not found on PS3, at least not the same.

As for the comment about Remedy, development of Alan Wake began in 2005 as far as we know, actually it is believed to have begun as early as 2004. They released the game five years later in 2010, that is with a team of forty, could a team of 60 produce an Alan Wake caliber title within a year or two? Hell no, not without a ton of existing resources and external help.

First off a lot of people don't even care about Halo. I bought a 360 long before I even started playing it. 

Secondly the first Alan Wake took so long because not only did they develop the game. But they also made their own engine from scratch. And they also scrapped a whole lot of progress when they took it from being open world to being linear. If they had a team of 60 and used the same engine they could easily crank out another Alan Wake in a year or two. 

fastyxx said:

Crackdown could still be saved.  The second game was bad - a rushed cash grab that MS forced so that they could have another exclusive.  But that franchise has potential if given time and resources to really innovate.  (And Crackdown 2 still sold nearly a million units, despite horrible reviews.)  They'd have their work cut out for them after the bad taste left by C2, but there's an audience there for a quality game.  Hell - I just sold my used copy for $17 on Glyde, which is actually pretty decent for how old/not great that game was.  

I don't get the hate for that game. It seemed a lot more fun than the first one. There was a little more variety than. Find bad guy, kill bad guy... :P 

Jazz2K said:
crissindahouse said:

but why is it good if you don't need first party games? you will play the same games so you don't need 100 exclusives!

Simply because of Kinect. MS has to lead the way with Kinect development if they want the other devs to follow with quality. It doesn't matter to me weather the game is exclusive or not if it's a good game it's a good game. Gears is not a better game because it's exclusive to 360 and Mass Effect didn't downgrade in quality because it went to PS3. When I read comments about games being less apealing because they turn multi I just think people are idiots for thinking that way.

you say:

"People shouldn't over praise exclusives like they're the only games worth playing. Most of the games I play are multi except for the Kinect ones, Halo and Forza, I don't see what the competition can do better if I'm going to play the same games."

this makes no sense. if they make a lot exclusives which you wish to play, you have to buy the console. that's what the competition can do better.

you like kinect? aren't the games exclusives? do you think microsoft would have kinect and games like kinect sports if sony wouldn't be there with own exclusive stuff?

sure you can have the same fun with a game if it isn't an exclusive but without god of war and uncharted i wouldn't own a ps3. so the competition made better third person games so i had to buy a ps3 even with a xbox from day one.

if you don't like to play these games it's ok but to say that the ps3  could have thousand exclusives all better than the best xbox game which would be all on the playstation as well and you would still buy the 360 makes no sense. but you don't need the ps3 then right? because if the games wouldn't be excluisves they would have the same quality.

exclusives are exclusives it doesn't help you that the games would have the same quality as non exclusives. btw the quality isn't the same. uncharted 3 would never look as good as it does as non exclusive. so i would be happy that it is an exlusive ps3 game if i wouldn't hate the ps3 controller so much.

and at least since exclusives are competition for non exclusives as well all developers will make better games as they would without exclusives.

without halo for example we would maybe still have not the healt sytem every game uses nowadays and this was a revolution. without halo we would have  medipacks everywhere lol.

if someone makes a racing game he has forza and gt as competition. there wouldn't be a forza for 360 without gt. so if there wouldn't be forza an gt maybe other racing games like shift would be worse than they are.

exclusives are the best the industry has. everyone if profiting of that. the quality would be not even close to the quality we have without the exclusive games (which counts for non exclusives as well)

Joelcool7 said:
Jazz2K said:
Lol... on thiese forums, no matter what MS does, it's alway bad. People shouldn't over praise exclusives like they're the only games worth playing. Most of the games I play are multi except for the Kinect ones, Halo and Forza, I don't see what the competition can do better if I'm going to play the same games.

On topic, it's a good thing to see MS gearing up for next gen by building a stronger first party dev team. I wish they stayed with Bizarre, I'm starting to miss the PGR series.

It is typically the exclusives that sell the hardware. You yourself mention Halo and Forza, they obviously played a role in you purchasing a 360. Live also makes every game on 360 unique as it offers an experiance not found on PS3, at least not the same.

As for the comment about Remedy, development of Alan Wake began in 2005 as far as we know, actually it is believed to have begun as early as 2004. They released the game five years later in 2010, that is with a team of forty, could a team of 60 produce an Alan Wake caliber title within a year or two? Hell no, not without a ton of existing resources and external help.

Look the improvements are great but not good enough to produce as much or as high quality software as their leading competitors! Yes with help from Epic and Crytek and such they could do very well exclusive wise but their existing first party studios simply can't bring as much high quality software to the table.

As for development, its not a theory its a fact. Development on software for the next generation Xbox began in 2008. At least that is what Microsoft said in their job listings, not a rumor that was Microsoft themselves. Saying they haven't been making software since 2008 is to suggest Microsoft was lying. How many staff members were working on games is unclear but they have been working on them since 2008, at least one.

Exactly what proof do you have? Please don't tell me they said they were working on 'nex gen games'

As for the Remedy comment, what dsister said.

Around the Network

Those studios are most likely deveoping Kinect & Xbox 3 titles. The Xbox 360 doesn't need many more core exclusives to ensure success. It only needs maybe two or three big core exclusives during the holidays and it'll continue it's current path. I guess if Microsoft was concerned with having stronger sales pre-holidays, then more exclusives would be necessary to have a slightly more fruitfull first half of the year, but I doubt Microsoft cares about that small discrepancy enough to alter their current strategy which seems to involve bearing through the first half of the year with relatively low sales and, later, bombarding the 360 with Kinect, multiplats, and a few core exclusives, which seems to be working well for them.

TadpoleJackson said:
Joelcool7 said:
Jazz2K said:

First off a lot of people don't even care about Halo. I bought a 360 long before I even started playing it. 

Secondly the first Alan Wake took so long because not only did they develop the game. But they also made their own engine from scratch. And they also scrapped a whole lot of progress when they took it from being open world to being linear. If they had a team of 60 and used the same engine they could easily crank out another Alan Wake in a year or two. 

Yes absolutely and I mention that I said without using existing resources. Most big budget games and high quality AAA titles use their own engines, when they don't use their own engines they spend a fortune of time and money adapting the engines for their specific projects. Also judging by Remedy's other games it always takes them at least three years between big games. More then three between Death Rally and Max Payne and two before Alan Wake was even announced so chances are it was in development even more then five years. Also scrapping content happens in every games development process, it would happen with a team fo sixty as well.

Not to mention Remedy has proven you wrong their sequel to Alan Wake is not yet on the market and it has been nearly two years since the last one was released. Not to mention we don't know if the game is of the same caliber either, judging by the fact that it is a digital release and not a physical leads to a lot of questions about whether it is indeed a big budget full fledged Alan Wake experiance or a rushed sequel.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Joelcool7 said:

Yes absolutely and I mention that I said without using existing resources, also judging by Remedy's other games it always takes them at least three years between big games. More then three between Death Rally and Max Payne and two before Alan Wake was even announced so chances are it was in development even more then five years. Also scrapping content happens in every games development process, it would happen with a team fo sixty as well.

Not to mention Remedy has proven you wrong their sequel to Alan Wake is not yet on the market and it has been nearly two years since the last one was released. Not to mention we don't know if the game is of the same caliber either, judging by the fact that it is a digital release and not a physical leads to a lot of questions about whether it is indeed a big budget full fledged Alan Wake experiance or a rushed sequel.

Look at how much the game changed though. They probably spent way too much time going towards the openworldness. And being such a small developer it took way too long for them to rebound.

About the sequel. How am I proven wrong? 40-60 is an increase of 50% so if they stick with than we have to move the timelimit up to 3 years. You also have to look at the fact that they were making DLC for awhile. Also they have an announcement set for Dec 10 of this year for their newest game. 

Edit: And they still have 6 more months till Alan Wake's 2 year birthday. 

I can't put together a coherent argument this late T_T

Edit 2: Seece's post is so much better 

Joelcool7 said:
TadpoleJackson said:
Joelcool7 said:
Jazz2K said:

Yes absolutely and I mention that I said without using existing resources, also judging by Remedy's other games it always takes them at least three years between big games. More then three between Death Rally and Max Payne and two before Alan Wake was even announced so chances are it was in development even more then five years. Also scrapping content happens in every games development process, it would happen with a team fo sixty as well.

You really do like to twist things to your way of thinking don't you? They changed direction completely, from an openworld sandbox game to what it came out as. With the engine already built and the direction already planned out for them, they could easily get one out in 3 years (This May it'll be 2 years since AW, so no, you're not proving anything) Most BB franchises take about 3 years these days, and that's without doing a game inbetween as they are.

The XBLA game in't going to be small, as already stated by Geoff "downloadable game does not equal small experience"

Sure they dont have the games yet but they are on the right way to pump them. I fail to see how this could be spin into something negative. Thats what most fans of other systems were asking from the start, stop purchasing exclusivity and make your damn games Microsoft. Keep it up, we want more studios.