By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 2008 at Bruceongames

Bruceongames said:
marioblazer said:
Im wondering what your take an the ds is then. The psp was supposed to be a better console, better graphics, games on cd. Yet the ds has humbled it. Why?

could it be that gamers arent as exited by graphics as you say. I own a ds as well as a wii. not because they are made by nintendo but they are different.

Ps3 is the ps2 with prittier graphics. the 360. same as the xbox.

Why the HD assumption that everybody wants it and that in 12 months nintendo will release wii 2. they cant make enough of the wii now. Even if the wii does have a massive fall in popularity nintendo can reduce the price much more than its competitors due to it costing less to produce. This will increase the popularity of the console again.

different coloured wiis. again not to important but history shows when it happens products fly of the shelf. Nintendo has all the bases covered.

The PSP has a rubbish battery life, terrible controls and is too big to be truly portable. The DS has a great user interface. Explained here: http://www.bruceongames.com/2007/10/02/the-future-it-is-all-a-gesture/ It also has some great software that appeals to a very wide demographic. It has had no real competition so has done very well. The future competition to DS is more likely to come from iPod/iPhone than it is from Sony.

The user interface and games that appeal to a wide demographic apply to Wii as well

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:

it can have all the Ai and physics it wasnts, if it doesn't change the games then whats the point, its still the same games on the PS2 just prettier

How many PS3 games have you actually played? If youre discussing games like madden or PES, then yes, the games are just prettier versions of the former with added extras due to extra space. But, games like uncharted, although they could be done on the PS2, would have been extremely limited. The increased abilities of the PS3 allow the developers to incorporate alot more into their games.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Bladeneo said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

it can have all the Ai and physics it wasnts, if it doesn't change the games then whats the point, its still the same games on the PS2 just prettier

How many PS3 games have you actually played? If youre discussing games like madden or PES, then yes, the games are just prettier versions of the former with added extras due to extra space. But, games like uncharted, although they could be done on the PS2, would have been extremely limited. The increased abilities of the PS3 allow the developers to incorporate alot more into their games.

What things in it changed the nature of the game in a way that made it something that the PS2 couldn't do?

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bruceongames said:
marioblazer said:
Im wondering what your take an the ds is then. The psp was supposed to be a better console, better graphics, games on cd. Yet the ds has humbled it. Why?

could it be that gamers arent as exited by graphics as you say. I own a ds as well as a wii. not because they are made by nintendo but they are different.

Why the HD assumption that everybody wants it and that in 12 months nintendo will release wii 2. they cant make enough of the wii now. Even if the wii does have a massive fall in popularity nintendo can reduce the price much more than its competitors due to it costing less to produce. This will increase the popularity of the console again.

different coloured wiis. again not to important but history shows when it happens products fly of the shelf. Nintendo has all the bases covered.

The PSP has a rubbish battery life, terrible controls and is too big to be truly portable. The DS has a great user interface. Explained here: http://www.bruceongames.com/2007/10/02/the-future-it-is-all-a-gesture/ It also has some great software that appeals to a very wide demographic. It has had no real competition so has done very well. The future competition to DS is more likely to come from iPod/iPhone than it is from Sony.

The user interface and games that appeal to a wide demographic apply to Wii as well

Yes, but the Wii has technically far superior competition in the PS3 and 360. If you actually read what I posted you will see that on the DS I said: "It has had no real competition so has done very well." Also you have no understanding of games if you do not understand the importance of AI and physics. Have you ever wondered why so many PS3 and 360 games aren't ported over to the Wii? It is because the Wii doesn't have the horsepower to run them. The Wii is really last generation with a cool interface. That is why Nintendo make so much profit from it, it is just so much further behind the bleeding edge of technology than the PS3 and 360 so it is far, far cheaper to make.

Incisive and erudite blog by game industry professional.

http://www.bruceongames.com/

Bruceongames said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bruceongames said:
marioblazer said:

Yes, but the Wii has technically far superior competition in the PS3 and 360. If you actually read what I posted you will see that on the DS I said: "It has had no real competition so has done very well." Also you have no understanding of games if you do not understand the importance of AI and physics. Have you ever wondered why so many PS3 and 360 games aren't ported over to the Wii? It is because the Wii doesn't have the horsepower to run them. The Wii is really last generation with a cool interface. That is why Nintendo make so much profit from it, it is just so much further behind the bleeding edge of technology than the PS3 and 360 so it is far, far cheaper to make.

Ds had tecnically superior competition in the PSP

Most games aren't ported to the Wii because the horsepower is different yes, but that doesn't make any of those games undoable on the Wii, its just that downgrading every asset in the game would take too long and cost too much money, its not worth the effort to them, but you haven't shown a thing that changes the gameplay in any way that makes the game undoable on last gen systems, the games are still the same, you're still fighting the same Nazis or aliens or any other thing the same way, just in HD.

Around the Network

@Bruce 

To be honest you are using nothing more than speculation as the basis for your points.  But more over I have to say you seem to have become nothing more than a troll who has attempted to hide his intentions. You have also quickly become less and less rational in your positions and have actually changed stances on points that are quite telling of your agenda.  For example these two quotes:

"It is impossible to say who will do best out of the three."
"This is why the PS3 will, ultimately, blow the Wii away."

It seems you came into this thread with that conclusion in mind and you wrote the article with that conclusion in mind.  Truly the epitome of what not to do in journalism.  And here I thought we were going to get a new and interesting member with well formulated opinions. But perhaps I am getting a bit ahead of myself, maybe you have a reasonable explanation for this?

In any case, after playing catch-up in this thread after only a few hours its pretty clear this is getting out of hand.  At this point it would better just to let it go and try again. Coming into a community and having your first thread and post turn out to be a major pissing match isn't a good way to start.  I'm sure you never intended for it to get this way but here we are.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bladeneo said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

What things in it changed the nature of the game in a way that made it something that the PS2 couldn't do?

Its the little things that add to the realism that count for me. Objects and bodies reacting to different shots and blows in different places, the little uses of the sixaxis controller, Drake's animations when he runs and jumps. Like I say, little things that will eventually become big things when developers push the PS3 to its limits.

Ill ask my question again, how many PS3 games have you actually played? As in sat down, and properly played not just 5 minutes in a gamestore. Or are you just making your usual fanboyish claims?

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for Sega. - Jason Lee, Mallrats.

http://theaveragejoe.sportsblognet.com/ - Mainly American Football, snippets of Basketball, European Football and Hockey. 

Bladeneo said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bladeneo said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Its the little things that add to the realism that count for me. Objects and bodies reacting to different shots and blows in different places, the little uses of the sixaxis controller, Drake's animations when he runs and jumps. Like I say, little things that will eventually become big things when developers push the PS3 to its limits.

Ill ask my question again, how many PS3 games have you actually played? As in sat down, and properly played not just 5 minutes in a gamestore. Or are you just making your usual fanboyish claims?

Just played it in gamestores, but like I said none of those things make it a different game beyond visuals, the way another guy falls down doesn't make any changes to the way the game is played, just makes it more realistic looking, which is purely a visuals thing.  I'll believe the PS3 is actually something toally different when it shows me something that was beyond the ability of the previous gen

Ive got a question for you bruceongames what consoles do you have. have you played the wii? wii sports? did you play it with friends or with you mum or dad? mario galaxy? resident evil 4? zelda? Were you pissed off that you were not playing it in HD? Ive played the ps3 and 360 at a mates place and I had fun. serious fun. Ive been thinking of buying a 360. would I still buy it if it wasnt HD. definitely.

Do you realise that every time you add more physics and AI to a game it makes it more expensive to make. HD as well. why do you think nintendo is making so much money on the wii and the ds, its the ease of making games for their consoles.

I want wii fit and I want it now

Sqrl said:

@Bruce 

To be honest you are using nothing more than speculation as the basis for your points.  But more over I have to say you seem to have become nothing more than a troll who has attempted to hide his intentions. You have also quickly become less and less rational in your positions and have actually changed stances on points that are quite telling of your agenda.  For example these two quotes:

"It is impossible to say who will do best out of the three."
"This is why the PS3 will, ultimately, blow the Wii away."

It seems you came into this thread with that conclusion in mind and you wrote the article with that conclusion in mind.  Truly the epitome of what not to do in journalism.  And here I thought we were going to get a new and interesting member with well formulated opinions. But perhaps I am getting a bit ahead of myself, maybe you have a reasonable explanation for this?

In any case, after playing catch-up in this thread after only a few hours its pretty clear this is getting out of hand.  At this point it would better just to let it go and try again. Coming into a community and having your first thread and post turn out to be a major pissing match isn't a good way to start.  I'm sure you never intended for it to get this way but here we are.

Those two quotes are mutually compatible. They could mean that I think that the Wii will come third. (Which is more than possible). To clarify I think that the Wii may possibly maintain it's lead this year. And possibly lose it over 2009. Over the ten year life of the 360 and PS3 they should beat the current iteration of the Wii in total sales, mainly because they will be on the shop shelves for more years. The Wii has older technology so it will show it's age sooner. To the point where it can't compete. Nintendo know this so will have an HD replacement available sooner than Microsoft or Sony need to create replacements. (Though I think there is a possibility of Microsoft going early again to have a two model range and to put pressure on Sony). At the point that Nintendo launch their new model I do not have the faintest idea who will be ahead. What I do know is that there are around 100 million loyal Playstation owners waiting to upgrade. The Wii seems to have attracted the same blind fanboy following that the PS2 once had. Just look at the signatures on here. They have blind faith in their system as it is in the market today and cannot see the broader picture. I remember when the Atari VCS 2600 was the hot, unavailable toy one Christmas. But shortly afterwards they were burying hundreds of thousands of game cartridges in the desert.

Incisive and erudite blog by game industry professional.

http://www.bruceongames.com/