By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday anecdotal evidence thread

This is a thread for anecdotal evidences that we see on BFs while we are out there at the stores. While talking about online (amazon, bestbuy.com, etc) is all fun and games, I'm more interested in hearing experiences at the stores.

I'll start, just got home from Walmart. INSANE. Store was really destroyed already and I got there at 10:05 (it opened at 10). PS3s, 360s, gone. Saw those in people's carts. Wiis in people's carts as well but not sold out. Same thing with 3DS. Didn't see any DS movement, but actually saw PSPs in people's carts which was weird as you usually don't see people buying PSPs.

Games: Batman AC was moving at an incredible fast rate for both PS3 and 360. I could have grabbed it if I wanted, but the line was too long and not worth it for just one game. MW3, Battlefield 3 were doing pretty good too. BLOPS gone on 360, still a couple left on PS3. Saw people grabbing infamous 2. Killzone 3 and Gears 3 still available, but going fast.

Am leaving now to go to BB and see if I can buy 3 games (Batman AA, Uncharted 3, BF3) and some blu rays. Wish me luck.

Around the Network

Yeah in Canada its huge, around 1/3 of Canadians took part last year and Sears and Wal Mart have offical Black Friday sales in Canada now.

Games and electronics are the only good things on sale

Well the PS3 black friday went up over 270,000% on amazon lol, doesn't tell us much though as it wasn't available before, it is however at number 2 best sellers and kinect by itself is currently number one. The 360 4GB with kinect is at number 3.

Just got back from WalMart. Pretty much the same situation as ElGranCabeza. PS3 and 360 completely sold out except for a handful of Move and 250GB/Kinect bundles. Most of the marked down video games were gone as well. Strangely enough a hell of a lot of people seemed to be getting the standalone Kinect. I never thought the standalone sold that great. I figured the vast majority of existing users that were interested in it had upgraded since I always see lots of them on shelves. There were a lot of Wii's left but the shelf space they had for them was enormous and they seemed to have gone through a lot of them already. On a small non-videogame side note, everyone and their mother was getting the $20 and $40 printers they had.

Proudest Platinums:
1. Gran Turismo 5
2. Persona 4 Arena
3. Wipeout HD
4. Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
5. Super Street Fighter 4

3DS was selling very well, they had a lot of shipments for the 3DS so I don't think it will be sold out. I didn't see a single ds sold which is good for nintendo.

360 and PS3 also selling well almost sold out

Wii's doing better than expected, I saw some people people with skyward sword

Around the Network

Just got back from my local gamestop, picked up my Zelda 3DS but I saw ton of people buying 360s, normal 3DSs [hehe] and PS3s, hardly anyone was buying Wiis or DS/PSP.

My first Ocarina of time play through here I come!

^_^

Best Buy is for the insane. Walked out with 6 games and 10 blu rays. Way more than I was going for, but since I was there already.

If my experience is anything to go by, 360 will be the big big winner this holiday season. I would say 50-60% of people buying a new console were buying 360s. After that it was the PS3, specifically the PS3 bundle with 30-40%, saw a couple of people buying Wiis, 3DS and PSPs but nothing to write home about. I literally saw no one buying a DS. Same thing with software, 360 wins by far followed by PS3 and then the others.

I just got back from Walmart almost an hour ago... after getting there at 11:10pm ET and just getting 2 games, Forza 4 and Gears 3 (BF3 and Arkham City were already long gone, as was half the stuff in the videogame aisle). The lines were atrocious... it was gridlock by the front registers, and the one open register by electronics was mobbed as well. All told, it took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to actually pay for the games that I picked up just 5 minutes after entering the store! The Best Buy, Target and Kmart near me were equally mobbed as well, so I didn't even bother trying to see what else was available at any of them.

This was my one and only time doing the whole Black Friday late night shopping thing, and I'm never doing it again. Currently checking Amazon for their videogame lightning deals... much more fun and productive with my time :)

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Any one knows if walmart.com will have decent video games sales online? Because Right Now It has crappy ones, just the opposite to bestbuy.com, but I only got uncharted 3, brutal legend (dammm $3 is cheaper) and gears of war triple pack for just 8 bucks, that 4.99 Vanquish deal was the shit, I didnt have time to pick up, I woke up early like about 7 EST and the sold out mark was already there

Just Hoping that walmart.com have decent video game deals.

America seems mad right now. The only places doing black friday in Britain seem to Amazon and Gamestop, but both digitally, so I just have to sit here all day watching their twitter feeds to see what I can get!

But from what people are saying, it is the PS3 and 360 selling quickest, but you would assume that they have more Xbox stock as they expect it to sell more?