By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Black Friday anecdotal evidence thread

I could never shop on Black Friday or Boxing Day. I like my shopping to be nice and calm. I don't think the deals offered are worth the trouble but I do like the crazy stories of what happens during these days.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
Seece said:
thismeintiel said:

Pretty much the same as the OP's experience. The PS3s went up at 10 and I went to check on them at 10:20 and they were all gone. There weren't even people in line asking about them, they had cleared off already. I would imagine the same was true for the 360. Didn't check on the Wiis or Kinect itself. I also went to Toys R Us. They were out of all 160GB PS3s, but still had 3 or 4 320GB ones. Still had like 4 or 5 360 bundles, but I imagine they didn't stay there long after I left. Looks like 360 and PS3 were the major sellers this Black Friday. Can't wait til we get some early numbers.

Edit: Oh and there was a fist fight amongst a large group of black people over a fucking shitty $35 dollar Boost touchscreen phone.  Black Friday is a whacky day.

lol I ove how people use anecdotal evidence to say something is gonna be huge. PS3 did 300k last BF, Wii did 600k and so did 360 .. can't see PS3 being a 'major seller' as always people see what they want to believe.

He didnt mention anything about an item being huge, he is just noting what he saw.  And like El, I can contest the same here in DC, there are no PS3 holiday bundles anywhere and Ive been to over 7 retailers that offer it as of 10:30am eastern.  Same with the 360.  Only the over $300 bundles for PS3 and xbox are lining the shelf.  You cant compare last years BF and this years, they are two totally different beasts with different dynamics driving both.

pezus said:
PS3 BF bundle is #1 at Amazon but looks like it's sold out currently. Kinect #2 and 4GB Kinect 360 #3.

Glad to see that the PS3 seems to be doing well, I hope it will be above Wii for the week

Kinect standalone already sold out about 7~10hours ago(In stock on December 1) and 4GB Kinect just restocked(last time i check it was about 3 units left)

Seece said:
thismeintiel said:

Pretty much the same as the OP's experience. The PS3s went up at 10 and I went to check on them at 10:20 and they were all gone. There weren't even people in line asking about them, they had cleared off already. I would imagine the same was true for the 360. Didn't check on the Wiis or Kinect itself. I also went to Toys R Us. They were out of all 160GB PS3s, but still had 3 or 4 320GB ones. Still had like 4 or 5 360 bundles, but I imagine they didn't stay there long after I left. Looks like 360 and PS3 were the major sellers this Black Friday. Can't wait til we get some early numbers.

Edit: Oh and there was a fist fight amongst a large group of black people over a fucking shitty $35 dollar Boost touchscreen phone.  Black Friday is a whacky day.

lol I ove how people use anecdotal evidence to say something is gonna be huge. PS3 did 300k last BF, Wii did 600k and so did 360 .. can't see PS3 being a 'major seller' as always people see what they want to believe.

Well, first of all, this is an anecdotical evidence thread. The title says so. Second, he only said that it LOOKS (obviously by his anecdotical evidence) that 360 and PS3 sold a lot. He didn't "saw what he wants to believe". He saw what was happening at the store. Finally he said he can't wait for numbers. He didn't made any supposition about the numbers.

On topic, here in Mexico, they made a first attempt for a black friday thing. The things that were sold the most were flat Tv's. Lots of Wii's and Kinects were sold. Almost no PS3 were sold, but here in mexico, most people buy or 360's or Wiis. Although there was a great offer of a Huge 3d Tv plus a PS3, and it was 10000 pesos less. This is almost 800 USD less. It was an online only promotion.

d21lewis said:
Sent my GF ('cause I'm not crazy!) to Wal-Mart to grab three items:
1. $199 Kinect 4GB bundle w/ $50 gift card for nephew whose 360 was taken in college
2. $300 or less laptop for daughter
3 $180 3DS w/ Mario 3D Land for for daughter

She got there at around 9pm.
It's 6:30am. She's still gone. :(

Sending your girlfriend off to the war zone known as Black Friday while sparing yourself.  Excellent move Captain Zapp Braningan!

Around the Network

"All I know is that some woman pepper sprayed the crowd at a Wal Mart in LA so she could get a 360. MS couldn't ask for better publicity lol"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32952358&postcount=93
http://youtu.be/DuF9XT0Yc4I?t=1m1s

Laurel Aitken said:
Seece said:
thismeintiel said:

Well, first of all, this is an anecdotical evidence thread. The title says so. Second, he only said that it LOOKS (obviously by his anecdotical evidence) that 360 and PS3 sold a lot. He didn't "saw what he wants to believe". He saw what was happening at the store. Finally he said he can't wait for numbers. He didn't made any supposition about the numbers.

On topic, here in Mexico, they made a first attempt for a black friday thing. The things that were sold the most were flat Tv's. Lots of Wii's and Kinects were sold. Almost no PS3 were sold, but here in mexico, most people buy or 360's or Wiis. Although there was a great offer of a Huge 3d Tv plus a PS3, and it was 10000 pesos less. This is almost 800 USD less. It was an online only promotion.

'Looks like 360 and PS3 were the major sellers this Black Friday.'

lol it all depends to people in the US the sales seem great, but here in Canada we would never ever in our lives see such sales.

D-Joe said:
"All I know is that some woman pepper sprayed the crowd at a Wal Mart in LA so she could get a 360. MS couldn't ask for better publicity lol"
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32952358&postcount=93
http://youtu.be/DuF9XT0Yc4I?t=1m1s

I heard about that on the radio earlier today and thought it was hilarious. Some people are completely mad for deals.

Signature goes here!

Seece said:
Laurel Aitken said:
Seece said:
thismeintiel said:

'Looks like 360 and PS3 were the major sellers this Black Friday.'

how is the wii sales anyway