By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Zero Hero said:
GTA4.

Soccer moms and grandparents are content with wii sports, wii fit, maybe another golf game and/or fishing game.

The hardcore wii owners account for ~ 10% of the wii install base. I really think that SSBB may be just the next game you wonder why the majority wii install base just isn't buying these types of games. I'm not trolling, I'm sure it will be fun for you. I am interested to hear about the injuries from this game now that people have a reason to be in close quarters and lunge around.

How do you know only 10% are the hardcore owners?  Where did you get that number?  And even with soccer moms you dont account for their family playing the system, had a woman come into the store the other day looking for Wii games and talking about her teenage kids taking over her system, so if the soccer moms are playing it the rest of the family is too, which males, teenagers, and kids account for the "hardcore" gaming market.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Around the Network

Okay, I'm going to have to LOL at all the Ninty fanboys who voted for SSBB twice as often as GTA IV.

SSBB will do well, but it's still only on one console. GTA IV will move a lot of units for two separate consoles, at least one of which will almost assuredly get a price drop right before the game drops. SSBM sold well but it wasn't an Earth-shattering game while every GTA installment since III has sold like crazy.

And for those of you touting the attach rate on SSBM to explain your vote, remember a few things... The bigger an install base gets, the more diverse its userbase becomes and attach rates drop. The GTA series had an extremely impressive attach rate despite the monstrous size of the PS2 userbase. Also, comparing the "Nintendo hardcore" demographic on the GC to the wildly diverse Wii demographic is comical at best, completely retarded at worst. 

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

by the end i think SSBB will outsell them bothcombined

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

SSBB will never outsell GTA4. thats pretty dumb. GTA is THE best selling game in past gen. It will sell better than Halo

GTA will start strong, SSBB will overtake it with longer legs

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
SSBB will do well, but it's still only on one console.

by the time gta4 comes out wii will be around 50% market share, depending on gta4's final release date

and many people that own a 360 also own a ps3 and viceversa, while 99% of wii owners only own one wii

so ssbb will have a larger userbase to sell to...if u wanna argue that gta4 will have a higher attach rate, then go for it, but the quoted argument doesn't hold water

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp
Fastrabbit09 said:
rocketpig said:
SSBB will do well, but it's still only on one console.

by the time gta4 comes out wii will be around 50% market share, depending on gta4's final release date

and many people that own a 360 also own a ps3 and viceversa, while 99% of wii owners only own one wii

so ssbb will have a larger userbase to sell to...if u wanna argue that gta4 will have a higher attach rate, then go for it, but the quoted argument doesn't hold water

Part of my reasoning for that is that the Wii is still supply-constrained, meaning that SSBB will have no impact on console sales while both the 360 and PS3 will explode in sales during the surrounding weeks when GTA IV finally releases. And almost all those sales will be a sale for GTA IV, too.

Jandre02 said:
SSBB will never outsell GTA4. thats pretty dumb. GTA is THE best selling game in past gen. It will sell better than Halo

By that logic, GTA3 never should have been the biggest seller last gen, given that GTA2 wasn't even close the generation before.

GTA3, VC and SA sold between 11-15 million each on the PS2/XBox, which, combined, had sold around 145 million consoles. Currently the PS3/360 combine for less than 30 million copies.

SSBB sold nearly 7 million copies on a 22m user base console, which the Wii will exceed soon. 

While the proportions are not likely to stay the same (ie GTA4 will not sell 1/4 of GTA3), it is reasonable to assume that GTA4 will have a harder time reaching VC's 14mil mark, while SSBB should easily surpass 7m. While I would still say the odds favor GTA4, I would not say that it is certain by any means. 

For the record (according to several websites - if anyone has better data, please share):

Best selling console games (ignoring pack ins):

360/Wii/PS3 - Halo 3 (8m so far)

PS2/GCN/XBox/DC - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (15m)

PS1/N64/Saturn - Mario 64 (11m)

SNES/Genesis - Donkey Kong Country/Mario Kart (8m)

NES/Sega - Super Mario 3 (18m)

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Zero Hero said:
GTA4.

Soccer moms and grandparents are content with wii sports, wii fit, maybe another golf game and/or fishing game.

The hardcore wii owners account for ~ 10% of the wii install base. I really think that SSBB may be just the next game you wonder why the majority wii install base just isn't buying these types of games. I'm not trolling, I'm sure it will be fun for you. I am interested to hear about the injuries from this game now that people have a reason to be in close quarters and lunge around.

How do you know only 10% are the hardcore owners?  Where did you get that number?  And even with soccer moms you dont account for their family playing the system, had a woman come into the store the other day looking for Wii games and talking about her teenage kids taking over her system, so if the soccer moms are playing it the rest of the family is too, which males, teenagers, and kids account for the "hardcore" gaming market.

I just want to know when SSBB became such a hard core game? I thought NIntendo only made kiddie crap?

misterd said:

While I would still say the odds favor GTA4, I would not say that it is certain by any means. 

That's pretty much where I stand. I think GTA IV will outsell SSBB but it will probably be close.

My main point is that I find it kinda pathetic that almost 70% of the people on this site voted SSBB and some people think it won't even be close. It shows the where the bias of most posters on this site lay.