By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

#39) The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Everything known to man)

I initially wrote a whole paragraph explaining why I think this right here is the best movie game ever instead of GoldenEye, but then I realized I was rambling and talking more about GoldenEye than about this game.

In single player mode, the game is hardly anything special. In co-op mode, it's a blast. Until that one guy who doesn't know how to play rages out and picks Gandalf or Legolas.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:
RolStoppable said:
Why are you people still stuck at #40? Isn't today the 12th day of the competition?

We're lazy that's why. What is today's number 39 or 38?

#39.

I may take the chance and post the games I added since my last update.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia, Secret of Mana, F-Zero, Metroid Fusion and Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City. Not in that order, but they are all great. Well, they are on great systems, after all.

I'd really like to hear your full comments on Castlevania and Secret of Mana.

Signature goes here!

39 - Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

By all means this entry should be higher on my list, but the fact that it hasn't had time to settle in the nostalgia centers of my brain keeps it from being top 25 material...and that's literally the only thing keeping it from being higher. Not only did this game somehow manage to capture the essence of the other three Donkey Kong Country games (There was no N64 iteration, end of discussion), it managed to transcend them by giving us more options, more worlds, and more gameplay modes (time trials, etc). While it had it's flaws (not a fan of using the Wiimote on it's side, the lack of kremlings is saddening, and you can't swim), it's every much as great a game as the SNES trilogy...and man was it HARD! So very impressed by that.

and I think we should have a discussion about "games you haven't played that could break into your top 50", because there are a few I'm sure have a good chance for me, such as the following:

Chrono Trigger (have it on PSN)
Final Fantasy V (just picked it up on PSN)
Super Metroid (HAve it on Virtual Console...but girlfriend has Wii)
Castlevania: symphony of the Night (have it on PSN)
The Mass Effect Series (have them on Xbox 360)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (hated it on N64, but am loving it on 3DS)
Shadow of the Colossus (have it on PS3)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Getting it for christmas)

I know, for shame...and I call myself a gamer!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Korppi said:

#39) The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (Everything known to man)

I initially wrote a whole paragraph explaining why I think this right here is the best movie game ever instead of GoldenEye, but then I realized I was rambling and talking more about GoldenEye than about this game.

In single player mode, the game is hardly anything special. In co-op mode, it's a blast. Until that one guy who doesn't know how to play rages out and picks Gandalf or Legolas.

Never played Rotk, but Two Towers was an excellent game.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Just before I start my list: here are my games from last year that didn't make it to this year's list:

Super Mario RPG
Sin and Punishment
Paper Mario
Psychonauts
Little Big Planet
Lylat Wars
Final Fantasy VIII
Golden Sun
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Around the Network

Runa216 said:

39 - Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

By all means this entry should be higher on my list, but the fact that it hasn't had time to settle in the nostalgia centers of my brain keeps it from being top 25 material...and that's literally the only thing keeping it from being higher. Not only did this game somehow manage to capture the essence of the other three Donkey Kong Country games (There was no N64 iteration, end of discussion), it managed to transcend them by giving us more options, more worlds, and more gameplay modes (time trials, etc). While it had it's flaws (not a fan of using the Wiimote on it's side, the lack of kremlings is saddening, and you can't swim), it's every much as great a game as the SNES trilogy...and man was it HARD! So very impressed by that.

and I think we should have a discussion about "games you haven't played that could break into your top 50", because there are a few I'm sure have a good chance for me, such as the following: 

Chrono Trigger (have it on PSN)
Final Fantasy V (just picked it up on PSN)
Super Metroid (HAve it on Virtual Console...but girlfriend has Wii)
Castlevania: symphony of the Night (have it on PSN)
The Mass Effect Series (have them on Xbox 360)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (hated it on N64, but am loving it on 3DS)
Shadow of the Colossus (have it on PS3)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Getting it for christmas)

I know, for shame...and I call myself a gamer!

• The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - I heard it's harder than other 3D Zeldas, and the difficulty (or lack thereof) in 3D Zeldas is one of things that annoy me the most about them.
  • Metroid Fusion - I know it's rather linear and heavy on the dialogue, but I still think I would like it enough for a place in the 40-50s. After all, I don't think so highly about some of my lower entries.
  • Metroid - One of my only complaints about Super is that it takes a tad too long for it to get properly started. The original, however, reputedly doesn't have that problem.
  • Many, many Mega Man games - I'm actually certain that at least Mega Man 2 and 3 would be on my list if they had been released properly in Europe. (This is not "properly")
  • Vanquish - Don't own either of the HD consoles.
  • Contra/Probotector III - Just haven't gotten around to buying this from the virtual console yet.
  • Donkey Kong Country 1-3 - See above.

What's your favorite world in DKCR, by the by? World 3 (The Ruins) have some great levels for speedrunning, but my personal favorite is World 7. (The Factory)

39. Indigo Prophecy (PS2)

Really a amazing experience overall. However, it could have been even better and way higher on my list if the ending hadn't been so bad.

2012 - Top 3 [so far]

#1                                       #2                                      #3

I'm not going to catch up in one go, but I've put 5 game down in the other thread now: 

50. Tales of Destiny - PSX (New):

I imported this game lasted year as part of my 'classic NSTC PSX games that never saw the light of day binge'.  This was my 2nd Tales game, my 1st being Symphonia; I really liked this game, definitely an underrated gem IMO.  The game utilises a wierd combination of random encounters and visible enemies, and while I prefer consistancy, it is nowhere near as bad as it sounds.  My only real criticism with the game is how the all the dungeons one plays through towards the end of the game all feel 'samey', they all have the same theme and features.

49. System Shock 2 - PC (46 last year):

I'm not usually a PC gamer, but I think this game is amazing.  It's villian is 2nd only to Kefka from FFVI IMO and is the game is constructed almost perfectled.  If every FPS was like this, I'm sure I would be a fan of the genre.

48. Grandia - PSX (New):

This is a legendary game.  It has quite possibly my favourite battle system of any RPG and a fantastic theme tune as well.  The characters are amazing, the graphical style suits the game really well.  The voice acting is a little crap, but that aside this is a near flawless JRPG.  Which reminds me that I should somewhen track down the other games in the series.

47: Rez - DC (39 last year):

More people should play this game, it's easily one of the DC's best.  This just beats out both Lylat Wars and Sin and Punishment to be my favourite rail shooter.  I can't describe it too much more, you just need to play it.

46. Metroid Fusion - GBA (44 last year):

Being the first metroid game since 1994, this game had a lot to prove and it didn't let down.  I felt the game was a tad too linear, but the fantastic soundtrack, fast paced gameplay and story more than made up for it.  If you have a GBA, you need to own this game.

EDIT: and here is my list from last year, if anyone is interested:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3749174

For whatever reason, Mario Kart Double Dash made a stronger impression on me than Kart DS (which as i said in my post, might be due to snaking making Kart DS so frustrating, whereas none of my local multiplayer folks engaged in that horrid practice), so it gets further up the list

Double Dash is also the first Mario Kart where i focused on winning on all difficulties. Gloriously frustrating, as this was the game that introduced the Blue Shell that's specifically targeted on the first-place racer

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

RolStoppable said:
TruckOSaurus said:

I'd really like to hear your full comments on Castlevania and Secret of Mana.

Unlike most other Castlevanias, Order of Ecclesia has no unfair boss fights. Sure, they can still kill you with a few hits, but the implementation of medals for beating bosses without getting hit basically forced the developers to make sure that this is a real possibility. This takes a lot of the frustration out.

The separation into many different smaller levels and one huge castle led to some disappointing areas, but also more variety than previous games. The new type of combat used in this game actually works and instead of only growing marginally stronger with regular level ups, the weapon and magic types level up over time too. The level cap has also been raised to 250 and levels carry over to a new game plus, so you can become a real killing machine. This was also a welcome change to previous games. The sidequests are mostly good too, so the overall package is excellent. The music is fantastic like you would expect from a Castlevania game.

Secret of Mana is a mixed bag in many aspects. Weapon and magic levels can be tedious to grind, only to end up being pretty useless anyway (weapons) or way overpowered (magic). The game also gets progressively easier, because the characters learn to dodge/block enemy attacks. There just isn't much of a balance in this game. At times it's also hard to figure out where to go next and the AI is stupid as hell.

But what makes it an enjoyable game is the three player mode. It eliminates the dumb AI and a lack of balance doesn't matter as much anymore, simply because you can play the entire game with other people. There really isn't (or rather wasn't) much else like Secret of Mana and this is what mostly earns it a special place in most gamers' hearts. As a singleplayer game it's just okay, but in multiplayer it begins to shine.

If only Japanese developers would try to make something like this again, but all we get nowadays are lame games with character editors that focus on dungeon crawling, like Children of Mana or the Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles games. When it comes to modern JRPGs, it's either all about epic singleplayer titles or faceless editor games. There should be something inbetween, something like Secret of Mana. And no, the Tales games don't count, because the camera is horrible for multiplayer fights and only Player 1 plays at all times while the others are damned to watch.

Nice read! Seems I've got to get my hands on Order of Ecclesia.

I won't comment too much on Secret of Mana just yet because it comes up in my list later but I did do an insame amount of grinding in this game. I loved the stronger versions of each spells that would occur once you passed level 8.

Signature goes here!