By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Top 50 Games: 2011 Discussion Thread

padib said:

#41 -> Final Fantasy IX (PSX)

Final Fantasy, ahhhh, Final Fantasy... Final Fantasy..... mmm Final Fantasy. Huh? Oh hey there! Sorry I fell asleep on ya there. *Whipes drool. Oh Final Fantasy, a series full of enchantment, even before the game is released. After the gorgeous entry that was Final Fantasy VIII, fans were craving for something more Final Fantasy IIIj-ish, or looking for more traditional traits of an FF game for the next entry. Hironobu Sakaguchi delivered. Producer of the Final Fantasy game, a name that appeared in every Final Fantasy till then, the man had created a series that did not cease to captivate. At that point, every single Final Fantasy game brought you to a new place, a new era, with every game bringing a different feel. With FFVII's city of Midgar, Final Fantasy VIII's college of Balamb Garden, now Final Fantasy IX was bringing you back to a Castle, in a setting much like midieval times, just like in entries Final VI and prior. But the story did not keep you encrusted in an old castle. Ending in a twist of cosmic proportions, Final Fantasy IX gave you a fantastic world to explore, with a much more earthy feel to it than the last two entries. The cinematics are grandiose, with Alexandrian architecture and other art from the era, as well as beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds.

Another thing I enjoyed about the game are the old names of weapons and armor that appear back in this game. All armor and weapon equip returns to its NES/SNES roots where everything can be equipped from head to toe.  But the greatest feature of the game is its music. The music was something of an entrancing kind, and holds to date some of the best scores in a Final Fantasy game, a thing already of high standard (FF music that is). Still, listening to some of the music of FF IX can make me cry or hit my gut for no explainable reason. A charming game with endearing graphics, grandiose cinematics and unforgettable music, Final Fantasy IX gets my #41 spot.

They just don't make games like this anymore...

Back to my top 50

You know I really like the story and art direction of pre-FFVII Final Fantasy's. I beat FFX, and it was alright, nothing special, and I got bored half way through FFVII and FFXII. However FFIX was the one 3D FF that I feel stands out. I really want to give this game a try, now that I know PS3 is backward compatible, I'm going to play this game and Chrono Cross next summer when I borrow a friends PS3. They are on the top of my list, above Uncharted 3 LOL.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
TruckOSaurus said:

#44. Blast Corps (N64)

This is one game that shows a good story is not necessary to make a great game. There's a truck full of nuclear material on the loose and instead of trying to stop it by blowing off the tires or have it roll in deep mud (that would work), the authorities have decided that the best course of action is to destroy every building in its path.

It makes no sense at all but you get to destroy buildings using a wide variety of vehicles going from a rocket firing motorcycle (very safe around nuclear waste), a bulldozer, a dump truck (that requires some practice to use) and a flying robot that just tramples buildings.

The game tons of fun and is over quickly but the time trials keep you coming back for more and more. Also, did I tell you that you get to destroy buildings?

Great picks man. I really loved this game, never beat it, but now that you reminded me of it, I might go and do it. Rare was awesome back in the day.

Final Fantasy Tactics and Resident Evil 5 are also top notch choices. They don't make my top 50, but they would make my top 100. Great choices!

It's been a while so I have to catch up....

AGAIN WOW, Killer Instinct Gold, amazing game. Microsoft really needs to get rare to bring back this IP. Killer Instinct is the only fighter I care for other then Smash Bros.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

So.... I'm far behind, this will be a longer post.when I come back tonight I'll add my last 6 games.

padib said:
Michael-5 said:

You know I really like the story and art direction of pre-FFVII Final Fantasy's. I beat FFX, and it was alright, nothing special, and I got bored half way through FFVII and FFXII. However FFIX was the one 3D FF that I feel stands out. I really want to give this game a try, now that I know PS3 is backward compatible, I'm going to play this game and Chrono Cross next summer when I borrow a friends PS3. They are on the top of my list, above Uncharted 3 LOL.

Good stuff, do make sure he has the PS-Fat, and the earlier model (40Gb I think). Otherwise you can DL it on the PSN! ;)

No, you can still play PS1 games on the Slim PS3. I didn't know that until recently. My PS1 and PS2 broke, so I own FFVII and Chrono Cross, I just never had a chance to play them on a system. Chrono Trigger is near the top of my list and from the half hour or so I played Chrono Cross, I think it would rank high too.

Also yea, I like the FF Tactics series. Final Fantasy isn't the best JRPG franchise, but they did make great games in the past.

#40. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)

I never played the original game so I was introduced to the madness that is Smash Bros. by playing this game on my little brother's Gamecube. I wasn't very good but every game was fun nonetheless, the control scheme was extremely simple since all special moves are performed the same way for every character but using them effectively was the real challenge. I didn't really have a main character but I remember having a great time playing with Bowser, Link and Peach.

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

The games on my list that I don't have so much to bitch and complain about start right about... here.

#40) ActRaiser (SNES/Wii)

I'm as atheist as they come, but even I can't claim there's not a certain appeal to playing as the Lord Almighty himself. Be it building a city for your peeps with the help of your constantly interrupting naked angel friend, or plowing your way through minions of the Devil to BITCHING 16-bit music.

#39. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

Like my #40 game, Mario Kart Wii is a game who provides the best experience when played with friends in local multiplayer. Nothing beats the sheer fun of hearing your friend shout obscenities right after you hit them with three consecutive red shells or after you push them down a pit relegating them to the last place where they pick up blue shells and make you pay for what you've done. It's the kind of madness that makes the Mario Kart series the only racing games I enjoy playing.

This game would be higher on my list if they didn't completely kill the fun of the battle mode. I'm hopeful that the inevitable WiiU version will fix that.

Signature goes here!

padib said:
TruckOSaurus said:

#40. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)

I never played the original game so I was introduced to the madness that is Smash Bros. by playing this game on my little brother's Gamecube. I wasn't very good but every game was fun nonetheless, the control scheme was extremely simple since all special moves are performed the same way for every character but using them effectively was the real challenge. I didn't really have a main character but I remember having a great time playing with Bowser, Link and Peach.

I'm sure it would have been a blast playing with you and many others on the forum :)

Yeah it would have been fun but unless you're planning a trip to Ottawa, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. We could Brawl though.

Signature goes here!

RolStoppable said:
Why are you people still stuck at #40? Isn't today the 12th day of the competition?

We're lazy that's why. What is today's number 39 or 38?

Signature goes here!

padib said:

#41 -> Final Fantasy IX (PSX)

I love the final fantasy series from the psx days. 7, 8 and 9 were all awesome. I can't really tell which I liked best, my tolerance for random battles went down over time and crashed and burned with ff10. So maybe 9 is the best, since I had no problem yet sticking through with the random battles. Fond memories, a HD collection of 7,8,9 would be too much too handle for this world :)